Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML & CSS Accessing all results in a databse

bobsmith

Coder
Hi Guys,

I hope you're all keeping well.

I am looking to find away to gain access to all the results in an online database. This is instead of having to input specific items which are very spelling sensitive; my goal is to have them laid out on a page, easy to find myself rather than tediously entering all the possible spellings and names I am seeking to find. Also, that way I can search based on just "surname" rather than first name , which the database requires as an input.

Is there a way to do this?

The database is here: https://www.theus.org.uk/category/find-grave

Literally seeing every single name in the database on one single page would be my final goal. I never thought my family history hobby and coding hobby would come together

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Hello there!

Welcome to Code Forum!

Hmm I'm not too familiar with this however, I think because their database is enclosed I wouldn't imagine that they would allow you to have access. However, I'm not an expert, perhaps we can find some who can help you.

@Ghost @Tealk @swift @joe Do you guys possible have solution for @bobsmith ?

I think I *may* have figured it out ish...

I have downloaded the HTML of the site, this part is the relevant code:

HTML:
<div class="form-item form-type-textfield form-item-fname">

<label for="fname">First Name: <span class="form-required" title="This field is required.">*</span></label>

<input type="text" id="fname" name="fname" value="" size="60" maxlength="128" class="form-text>

</div>

<div class="form-item form-type-textfield form-item-lname">

<input type="text" id="lname" name="lname" value="" size="60" maxlength="128" class="form-text>

</div>

<div class="form-item form-type-textfield form-item-year">

<label for="year">Year of Burial: </label>

<input type="text" id="year" name="year" value="" size="60" maxlength="128" class="form-text">

</div>

<div class="webform-custom-btn"><input type="submit" id="op" name="op" value="Search" class="form-submit"></div><input type="hidden" name="form_build_id" value="form-MfRIUFsgBCU3T77Mg6TVQiDclZquZWMeqmTeOmTuVYg">

<input type="hidden" name="form_id" value="find_grave_block_form">

</div></form><div class="grave-search-box-2-main"></div>    </div>

As you can see, I have removed the "required" fields for the input. It does let me search when not entering, I couldn't do that before. However, it still gives me the message that "this field is required. The problem is probably the part of the code that I've bolded. If you could help me modify it appropriately, that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid the problem is a bit deeper than that. That form calls some external code, and that code has to be reprogrammed to get what you want. And all that is questionably legal, you have to check the code license. If the license is rigid, I'm afraid it would be called hacking. Sorry. The best thing you can do is to contact their webmaster and order a textual listing of data you require.

If it's not your data then the only thing you can do is find a way to legally obtain that data, or other similar data. You can build tools to help you aggregate free & public data online, to store in your own db, to access however you wish. If this site doesn't give you a way to connect to the database or at least an API then I'm afraid there's no great way to analyze information quickly.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom