Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fun activity An Automated Life

simong1993

Gold Coder
Staff Team
Guardian
Hey All,

It's 1:30am and im sitting here in the hospital with my son and my mind is empty (OOOOO THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN) so it got me thinking, I wonder if you could automate a buisness? After an hour of thinking, my answer is yes. I decided to pick a website design company and this is what I come up with:-

Stage 1 - Bot sends adverts onto social media with a link back to your site. (Script)
Stage 2 - The customer is happy with your site and pays a deposit for what they need (Website)
Stage 3 - Invoice is sent and the contract is also sent to be signed (API/Script)
Stage 4 - Customer signs contract and we send them an online forum to fill out asking for colors logos etc etc. (Website)
Stage 5 - This can go one of two ways either we can send the work off via email to our freelancer or we can get the client to build the website via questions on our site. Im picking our site.
Stage 6 - Customer submits design they have created and filled in and the system buys there domain name, setups their website as they asked and emails them there details (Script)
Stage 7 - Takes monthly payments.

you could easly automate a buisness directory also but im wondering, what could you automate :D

(Hope nobody minds me reviving this, as it could make for some good conversations and ideas).

With computers and the Internet spreading more and more into our lives, you can essentially automate a lot of basic tasks: playing music, sending emails/messages, turning off devices at certain times, locking down parts of the house, etc. But, you then have issues of privacy(if you use Google/Alexa), functionality being cut off(if you use Sonos), update management, etc.(of course, these are all on the basis that you use automation devices from companies, rather than automating tasks yourself).

Businesses heavily benefit from automation at the expense of one employee's job. If you can automate, say, announcing stock updates or writing and sending out newsletters, what need is there for people in PR roles other than to manage the integrity of the account? Automation seems to be coming ever more prevalent in warehouses, therefore, reducing the need of humans to keep the logistics in running. As I said though, the employee loses their job or has their responsibilities reduced(then reducing the overall need for the employee in general) - but in the case of the warehouse, it does mean that fewer injuries will occur as there is no human doing back-breaking work.

Automation is great, but, it's far from perfect and on the business side of things, there is a concern over the ethics of managing employees and their jobs once automation is brought into the business. And in the house, the problems surrounding privacy rights, home network security, etc.

Personally, I'm against automation almost entirely. We shouldn't have to automate tasks like writing/sending emails, playing songs, and asking a robot to make us coffee: these are simple tasks that only take a few minutes to do and if people argue for automating these tasks, it shows us then how lazy people wish to become(not all people, obviously). However, despite all that, I do believe that tasks in factory/warehouse conditions should be automated as nobody should have to work in those conditions, and automation is great for older/disabled folk who have trouble getting by in daily life.

i am so glad you have revived this as i have a passion for automation.

In my opinion Automation is perfect, its the coders who are not. Automation is a mind set, its the ability to think outside the box and solve issues in ways most did not know you can. I believe that automation will replace humans but in a good way let me explain. Lets say i own a farm, I employ 20 people at £20,000 a year in total so that's £200,000 a year. I replace everyone with machines, i now have better crops and a cheap work force so i now reduce the price of my goods to compensate the difference. The cost of living goes down a tad, so more people now go to bars, Cinemas, holidays etc as they have the cash. The company that does my clothes goes, hold up why don't i do that. Cost of living goes down a little bit more again etc etc.

With regards to jobs, the machines need fixing, the code needs doing, the hospitality sector grows. We start to find we can do more so we start to reach to the stars, we move in a different direction opening more jobs. We should no fear automation we should be embracing it.

Your last point about jobs we shouldn't automate, i disagree here. i am just in the process of finishing my first fully automated company, my system can do what 1 person can do in 10 minutes in only 0.10 seconds. I would need around 30-40 employees but i am only 1, Any emails i get will be automated soon upon a list of IF and ELSES . Any orders are processed and fulfilled without me even lifting a finger. Once fully completed it will be able to keep me going financially so i am able to fulfil my passions and do other tasks, Even if its a small task a computer can do it quicker and faster and they never sleep. This leads me onto my next planned project for next year called NEBULA. If it was not for me automating everything i would not be able to build her as i would not have the time.

Wouldn't you want to automate your job, get paid and still enjoy life :D

(Hope nobody minds me reviving this, as it could make for some good conversations and ideas).

With computers and the Internet spreading more and more into our lives, you can essentially automate a lot of basic tasks: playing music, sending emails/messages, turning off devices at certain times, locking down parts of the house, etc. But, you then have issues of privacy(if you use Google/Alexa), functionality being cut off(if you use Sonos), update management, etc.(of course, these are all on the basis that you use automation devices from companies, rather than automating tasks yourself).

Businesses heavily benefit from automation at the expense of one employee's job. If you can automate, say, announcing stock updates or writing and sending out newsletters, what need is there for people in PR roles other than to manage the integrity of the account? Automation seems to be coming ever more prevalent in warehouses, therefore, reducing the need of humans to keep the logistics in running. As I said though, the employee loses their job or has their responsibilities reduced(then reducing the overall need for the employee in general) - but in the case of the warehouse, it does mean that fewer injuries will occur as there is no human doing back-breaking work.

Automation is great, but, it's far from perfect and on the business side of things, there is a concern over the ethics of managing employees and their jobs once automation is brought into the business. And in the house, the problems surrounding privacy rights, home network security, etc.

Personally, I'm against automation almost entirely. We shouldn't have to automate tasks like writing/sending emails, playing songs, and asking a robot to make us coffee: these are simple tasks that only take a few minutes to do and if people argue for automating these tasks, it shows us then how lazy people wish to become(not all people, obviously). However, despite all that, I do believe that tasks in factory/warehouse conditions should be automated as nobody should have to work in those conditions, and automation is great for older/disabled folk who have trouble getting by in daily life.
Have you ever worked with cleaning the database/content entry/spreadsheets? I hope you have. I also hope you are not the type to go deleting items one by one by one by one by one by one by one... lol

Antero360 said:
Have you ever worked with cleaning the database/content entry/spreadsheets? I hope you have. I also hope you are not the type to go deleting items one by one by one by one by one by one by one... lol
Databases are a fine example of where automation works well: managing records would be a tedious task if done by a human.

simong1993 said:
In my opinion Automation is perfect, its the coders who are not. Automation is a mind set, its the ability to think outside the box and solve issues in ways most did not know you can. I believe that automation will replace humans but in a good way let me explain. Lets say i own a farm, I employ 20 people at £20,000 a year in total so that's £200,000 a year. I replace everyone with machines, i now have better crops and a cheap work force so i now reduce the price of my goods to compensate the difference. The cost of living goes down a tad, so more people now go to bars, Cinemas, holidays etc as they have the cash. The company that does my clothes goes, hold up why don't i do that. Cost of living goes down a little bit more again etc etc.

With regards to jobs, the machines need fixing, the code needs doing, the hospitality sector grows. We start to find we can do more so we start to reach to the stars, we move in a different direction opening more jobs. We should no fear automation we should be embracing it.
Sure, automation benefits people in a way that grants them more free time and helps them avoid any harmful work; businesses also don't have wages to pay: the problem is where do these people then go once they lose their job to automation? Sure, they could go and get a higher education at a university, but that requires good grades and previous education - not everybody has access to that. And in poorer countries that would definitely benefit from automation, the resources to power automated machinery isn't there(i.e. electricity).

The cost of living could go down, but I don't see that happening; if it does, the amount it goes down by would be very tiny and not noticeable. Machines require electricity(not cheap at all to generate) and maintenance/repairs(which can sometimes be expensive depending on what is needing done), the automation requires programmers to build and update the software(who need to be paid for their work), and then you have the engineers who design and build the machines in the first place(who also need to be paid): none of these are cheap tasks.

simong1993 said:
Your last point about jobs we shouldn't automate, i disagree here. i am just in the process of finishing my first fully automated company, my system can do what 1 person can do in 10 minutes in only 0.10 seconds. I would need around 30-40 employees but i am only 1, Any emails i get will be automated soon upon a list of IF and ELSES . Any orders are processed and fulfilled without me even lifting a finger. Once fully completed it will be able to keep me going financially so i am able to fulfil my passions and do other tasks, Even if its a small task a computer can do it quicker and faster and they never sleep. This leads me onto my next planned project for next year called NEBULA. If it was not for me automating everything i would not be able to build her as i would not have the time.

Wouldn't you want to automate your job, get paid and still enjoy life
That sounds efficient and beneficial. My concern is what kind of emails are you sending/receiving? There could be something important received from a customer and you give an automated response that fails to answer their inquiry properly - hypothetical scenario of course, provided you choose what emails are to be automated and which ones are to be not. Orders I wouldn't worry too much about, as long as customer information is handled safely, you receive the order ticket, and the order is sent away without problems.

Sure, computers can easily do small tasks, but they can go to sleep if power is halted or cut-off. If power is lost, the automated processes are cancelled, therefore, your business(and in the worst case scenario, an entire economy) would crumble all because the power flowing to your automated machinery was lost, cancelling all of its work it was in the middle of doing.

If my job is automated, how much of it is automated? If it's a small, tiny bit, I still expect to get paid for the rest of the work I do; if all(or almost all) of it automated, why should I get paid when I'm just a leech doing nothing but sucking money out of the company I work for? We humans are meant to work and solve problems. Having fun is only a small part of our life that serves to motivate us to work on. Boredom would, without a doubt, set on very quickly if nobody was working at all: take a look back at the past year and find the points where you got bored. You'd probably find a lot of points where you did get bored due to a lack of interesting work or a lack of motivation.

I still stand by my point of automating tasks like cleaning-up systems, manufacturing new items(clothes, devices, etc.), and processing materials - automation works well for them. Automation does not work well for making coffee(the coffee might not be to your consistency) and sending emails(unless those emails are newsletters/updates). And as I said, a heavy reliance on automated machinery/devices in everyday life may prove fatal if the power keeping these machines on is ever lost.

Yes i can see where you are coming from but then we talk about supply and demand. Once people are not doing the jobs of the machine there will be more people repairing the machine/programming them. People will then start to innovate and find new ways to make electricity cheaper. I mean take the Industrial Revolution for example, many many people lost there jobs and apposed but here we are and much much better for it :)

Yes also true, i could send the wrong answer BUT 99% are rinse and repeat when you look and word them correctly, As long as your script can adapt enough it can provide a genuine response. Example, I get around 500 Emails i find a day, once checked i have around 150 that are GDPR compliant, Once i do my last checks i have around 20 i can email. To get those 500 emails i check on average 1 million URLs a day. By hand i could do what 100,000 records a day on a 9-5 at £20 a hour. Where as my system does it for free, So if i send 20 emails and 1 or 2 is wrong, heck ill take it, nothing is perfect but the rewards well out weigh the risks here :D

There is redundancy's in place to stop machines from losing there place etc, Back up generators for one. But look at it this way, a man will work a 9-5 a machine will work 24/7. If a machine goes down for a day, it will and would have still out worked a man :)

I disagree, we are not designed to work. We are here to explore, test new boundaries and seek new experiences. I never got bored in lockdown, thats one issue i never have i am always working, coming up with new ideas :D

Back
Top Bottom