Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Python any file into .txt

o3nn

New Coder
Hello,
I have a bunch of .muse that I need to convert into .txt files. Please let me know if you can help me.

Just figured that I'd let you know about this.

A .muse file, is a proprietary file-format developed by Adobe for their Adobe Muse program(Which has just recently ended support back in March of this year). Of course, the main concern is on the file-format.

The thing is, since it's a proprietary file-format, it'll be extremely difficult to convert it, without knowing how it works under the hood. As opposed to open file-formats, such as PNG or HTML, you'll have little to no luck in converting this file over, without as I said, knowing how it works under the hood. I also doubt that Adobe would release documents as to how this format works and all that, since support for Adobe Muse itself has recently ended.

You could try building a converter but due to the format being proprietary, I believe that you'll have a higher chance of corrupting the file, rather than successfully converting it over to a text-file. Another thing you could do, is simply open up your file-explorer on your PC, go into the properties of the file, and change it from filename.muse to filename.txt. But, I doubt that doing something as simple as that, would also immediately corrupt the file, as opposed to converting a text-file document to a HTML document. Also beware that in the case your files do end up becoming corrupted, the chances of you being able to recover the original file, are next to nothing, unless you have a duplicate copy in the case that something goes wrong.

Just figured that I'd let you know about this.

A .muse file, is a proprietary file-format developed by Adobe for their Adobe Muse program(Which has just recently ended support back in March of this year). Of course, the main concern is on the file-format.

The thing is, since it's a proprietary file-format, it'll be extremely difficult to convert it, without knowing how it works under the hood. As opposed to open file-formats, such as PNG or HTML, you'll have little to no luck in converting this file over, without as I said, knowing how it works under the hood. I also doubt that Adobe would release documents as to how this format works and all that, since support for Adobe Muse itself has recently ended.

You could try building a converter but due to the format being proprietary, I believe that you'll have a higher chance of corrupting the file, rather than successfully converting it over to a text-file. Another thing you could do, is simply open up your file-explorer on your PC, go into the properties of the file, and change it from filename.muse to filename.txt. But, I doubt that doing something as simple as that, would also immediately corrupt the file, as opposed to converting a text-file document to a HTML document. Also beware that in the case your files do end up becoming corrupted, the chances of you being able to recover the original file, are next to nothing, unless you have a duplicate copy in the case that something goes wrong.
Thank you for the fast reply! I know that the .muse are normally proprietary files. But these files aren't, they just contain text. I can just open them with a text editor and save them as .txt but there a over 4000 files...
(I added one example file)

Attachments

• albert-libertad-the-joy-of-life.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
o3nn said:
We currently bulding a Library with poltical and philosophical texts. And so such numbers arise...
Okay then. I haven't built a converter before so I don't have a clue on how you'd do something like this.

If you still continue with the manual method, perhaps bring in a person or two to help you change the documents manually. Yes, you'll still be there for a while, but it's better than converting all of them all on your own.

As for converters, you may have to look online to see if there's a converter that supports uploading multiple files. I don't know of any converters that does support this, but as I said, you'll need to look around and see.

Awesome, could you share the code?
That is the code.
In bash you just create a file called "anything.bat" and inside you can do something like
"rename*.muse*.txt" which means rename anything (*asterisk = wildcard) that ends in .muse to .txt - the *asterisk* acts as a variable so WhateverIsHere.muse becomes WhateverIsHere.txt

That said, I am just using my general knowledge of bash & what @o3nn said, I haven't actually tested his specific code - but it looks right.

Back
Top Bottom