Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bringing light to bumping or 'Bump'!

Hello Coders,

Today I wanted to bring some light to bumping threads. The reason I am creating this thread is not that bumping is an issue but because it's not ever used and I want to make it clear that it is okay to bump your thread/old threads.

Bumping is the act of posting the word 'bump' on your thread in order to bump it back up to the top of the activity list. You will not get any warnings, and such for using a bump, but there are things you should be aware of:
  • Do not use 'bump' within 24 hours of thread creation, and or if the post has not had any activity for 24 hours.
  • Modifying and or changing a topic and posting a reply with information DOES NOT count toward a bump.
    • Example: You posted about needing help with C++, but figured out part of your problem before anyone could help you, then you may post a reply.
  • Use 'bump' when you have nothing further to add but wish to bring your or another thread back to the top for more information and or an answer to the thread.

I hope this insight helps provide some clarity! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to share.

While it's great that you're providing insight to the whole Bumping issue that is present on many Forums, the real question is what are you going to do with people who abuse the Bumping ability? This can provide an issue as for 15 minutes, a person Bumps their own Thread but then it's taken over by another. Then when that person finds that their Thread was now overtaken, they immediately Bump again to get in 1st place. That's an example of what I mean.

So, what exactly are you going to do to people who abuse Bumping?

While it's great that you're providing insight to the whole Bumping issue that is present on many Forums, the real question is what are you going to do with people who abuse the Bumping ability? This can provide an issue as for 15 minutes, a person Bumps their own Thread but then it's taken over by another. Then when that person finds that their Thread was now overtaken, they immediately Bump again to get in 1st place. That's an example of what I mean.

So, what exactly are you going to do to people who abuse Bumping?
Simple warning, and so on. Here's an idea of what I want moderators to do in cases such as this: https://codeforum.org/threads/working-as-a-community.250/#post-1949

Thanks. I knew it would be a simple Warning but wanted to ask anyway.

Back
Top Bottom