Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do You Think Linux Would Run Fine On My Laptop?

D

Dan-Kode

So, I'm thinking of getting into and installing Linux on my Laptop just now. Now, I should note that I may not go ahead and install Linux right now. It might be something that I'll do in the Future but I cannot confirm that I'll be doing it right away.

So my Laptop is the HP Envy x360 Convertible.

The Specs(NOTE: I know it's an incredibly short list of Specs but this is all I could find. Not to mention that it's a bit confusing to navigate through such long Lists of Hardware-Components. Who knows, if you need more Information to determine if Linux would run fine on my Laptop then just ask and I'll look for it.):
System-Type: 64-Bit
Processor: AMD A12-9700P Radeon R7
RAM: 8GB
Hard-Drive: 188GB(NTFS)

Yes you can, I have run Linux on my old tablett(original windows 8) for a long time, as you often need less powerfull hardware. I always depends on your distro. You can install something like Lubuntu with only 500mb of ram. It really depends what you want to do with it, but at least some form of linux you can always install.

Regarding your Laptop, it should work fine with any distro but as it is a convertible I just mention, that often the touch support and exspecially the use of digitzier pens is not so good on linux. Depending on the harware there are often just generic drivers and also most programms implement their own touch support. So it really depends on your usecase, wether the touch will work fine or not.

As you are just thinking about it, I would suggest to try out a live Linux, botted from an USB stick. If you find a distro you want to try out for a longer time, you can easily install the distro as a second operating system and choose which one to boot on startup. I'm using this for my laptop, as I have to use some demanding windows programms sometimes but I also like to do programming and stuff like this on linux.

Yes you can, I have run Linux on my old tablett(original windows 8) for a long time, as you often need less powerfull hardware. I always depends on your distro. You can install something like Lubuntu with only 500mb of ram. It really depends what you want to do with it, but at least some form of linux you can always install.

Regarding your Laptop, it should work fine with any distro but as it is a convertible I just mention, that often the touch support and exspecially the use of digitzier pens is not so good on linux. Depending on the harware there are often just generic drivers and also most programms implement their own touch support. So it really depends on your usecase, wether the touch will work fine or not.

As you are just thinking about it, I would suggest to try out a live Linux, botted from an USB stick. If you find a distro you want to try out for a longer time, you can easily install the distro as a second operating system and choose which one to boot on startup. I'm using this for my laptop, as I have to use some demanding windows programms sometimes but I also like to do programming and stuff like this on linux.
Well, that's good to hear then. As long as it will work then I'm happy. I will wait to see what others say though. Just for extra confirmation.

Now I know my Laptop is a Convertible and it has a Touch-Screen. One thing you should know is that I don't really bother with the Touch-Screen on it. I do use it sometimes but it's really rare for me to use it.

Now do you think you could further explain what "Live-Linux" is?

Now do you think you could further explain what "Live-Linux" is?
Sure^^ As linux is really lightweight(most installation files are only 2gb). There are versions of nearly every distribution you can simply put onto an usb stick. Depending on the distribution, changes you do, like creating files or editing settings, are often not saved but it's a really good way to try out a distribution before you choose to install it. Many distros use so called hybrid images. This is a rom file, you can put on an usb stick, with tools like rufus. When you boot from the usb stick, you have the choice between install or use it as a live system.
As it seems that you don't have much experience with linux a would suggest just grab an empty usb stick(files will be delete when load the rom onto it) and joust try it out. For the start I would suggest ubuntu or one of it variants. Here is the really easy tutorial from ubuntu and if you need any help, or you have more questions just say something.
EDIT: typos and grammar

Sure^^ As linux is really lightweight(most installation files are only 2gb). There are versions of nearly every distribution you can simply put onto an usb stick. Depending on the distribution, changes you do, like creating files or editing settings, are often not saved but it's a really good way to try out a distribution before you choose to install it. Many distros use so called hybrid images. This is a rom file, you can put on an usb stick, with tools like rufus. When you boot from the usb stick, you have the choice between install or use it as a live system.
As it seems that you don't have much experience with linux a would suggest just grab an empty usb stick(files will be delete when load the rom onto it) and joust try it out. For the start I would suggest ubuntu or one of it variants. Here is the really easy tutorial from ubuntu and if you need any help, or you have more questions just say something.
EDIT: typos and grammar
Ah, thank you.

So a Live-System is in other words, essentially just running Linux alongside Windows without deleting Windows? Thank you as that was all I needed for the Live-System thing. Again, I will be waiting for what others say about my Original-Post.

I do have a Question and it's that if I write, let's say, an Ubuntu Image-File onto my USB using Rufus for example. Will that USB still be usable for storing Files on it or can it only be used for the Ubuntu File from that point?

So a Live-System is in other words, essentially just running Linux alongside Windows without deleting Windows?
Yes and no, you can run linux without installing anything on you harddrive, but often with some form of limitation. You can also install a linux alongside your windows without deleting it, but this will need you do make some spache on your hdd.

I do have a Question and it's that if I write, let's say, an Ubuntu Image-File onto my USB using Rufus for example. Will that USB still be usable for storing Files on it or can it only be used for the Ubuntu File from that point?
The usb stick will get formated during this, so all files will be deleted, but after it's complete you can put stuff besides the linux files on it.

Again, I thank you for replying with this Information. You're definitely being a big help for me at the moment in time which I do appreciate.

And I'll say it again, I will be keeping an eye out for this Thread to see what others say about Linux on my Hardware. Again, just for extra confirmation to see if it will run.

If you do have any more Info that I should take note of then I would also appreciate that.

I know that nobody will be able to tell if it is running. The reason I made this Thread was to ask if Linux could run on my System.

I know that nobody will be able to tell if it is running. The reason I made this Thread was to ask if Linux could run on my System.
If I don't get it wrong, you're saying that nobody can tell you if it works for you, but you're waiting for someone to tell you.

No, I'm asking for somebody to take a look at the Specs that I've provided(Which is just a few Specs), alongside the Laptop-Model. Then the person who Replies will determine and say if it will run. That's all I'm asking for.

Nobody can say if the linux will run. We can just suggest which linux suits you but wether it will work on your hardware not really isn't important, as your laptop should run every normal distro.

Well, as long as my Laptop does have the right Specs and (should be able to) run a Linux Distro then that's really all I need.

Well, I'm going to try out Ubuntu and maybe install it afterwards. Wish me luck.

Hey. I'm posting this while testing out Ubuntu 19.04 right now! I'm really enjoying it and I might install it soon.

I should also mention that it works like a charm on my Computer. I love the UI, Desktop-Environment and just how fast it is. It did take me about 30+ Minutes to actually get into booting-up Ubuntu but overall, I'm loving it.

Absolutely, you will be fine
I am running Linux Mint Xfce, which is a fairly quick OS to use for older devices

CPU: Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 (-MCP-)
Mem: 920.0/2390.0 MiB (38.5%)
Storage: 74.53 GiB (22.0% used)
Graphics: AMD RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]

As you can see, this laptop does not have the best specs, but it's doing great and it runs faster than WIndows ever did on this old Dell laptop.
I highly recommend using Linux on any old device :) yours will be totally fine

I have less than 3GB RAM, A super old graphics card, and an old CPU. :)

Hey, @Ghost.

I have managed to get Linux Ubuntu running just fine on my Laptop. I haven't experienced any Problems so far and I might install it later or I'll install it in a couple of days. I'm really liking it so far. One thing that I do hate at the moment is the Keyboard-Characters. I'm a bit annoyed with the Keyboard at the moment so I'll need to adjust to it.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom