• Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Hey there :)

sn0w

Active Coder
I've been mostly lurking for the past week and thought a little intro might be overdue.

Hey :D
People call me sn0w on the internet.
I'm a 21 year old developer from europe who enjoys low-level code and high performance.
I started coding during 3rd grade when my friend showed me an awesome book about C# and VS 2005 that his dad bought him.
A lot of stuff has happened since then, and I eventually ended up writing C++ for a living.

You'll likely see me a lot in the C/C++, Linux, and "Other Languages" sections.
I love to help people, but I also hope to learn some new things here.

Something that I'm currently very interested in is VM- and compiler-design.
If any of you knows a thing or two about this, please let me know :whistle:

I'm sure that we'll have a good time together.
See you around o/

sn0w

Active Coder

What are some of your major accomplishments that involved C++?

I think one of my most interesting C++ projects happened last year at work.
I can't go into too much detail but we basically searched a solution for watching huge amounts of files and folders in a very performant way.
We needed realtime information about all file/folder creations, deletions, renames, and content modifications in a given (deeply nested) folder.
All of this needed to be available without any noticeable disk- or CPU-overhead.

The Linux kernel does ship with tools like inotify(7) or fanotify(7), but those were too limited in features and/or performance for our usecase.
Eventually we discovered the Linux Auditing System (https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/) which was promising.
It's a Linux kernel module that allows you to get notified when syscalls occur, like open(2), write(2), renameat(2), ...

My job was to dig through libaudit's (barely documented) internals and C APIs,
and eventually write a daemon that collects and analyzes all this information to notify us about the mentioned file/folder events.

Dnyan

Coder
nice to see a coder who is coding from 3rd grade.

Hope you will share your learning with others in order to share your experience.

root

Active Coder
Hay @sn0w welcome on board!

Can you suggest me online resources (video course or a beginners book) for a subject Computer Architecture and Assembly Language?
One of my friend need to study it for University.

Thank you and keep participating in talks here :)

sn0w

Active Coder
Intel has a neat PDF called "Introduction to x64 Assembly" over at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/introduction-to-x64-assembly/, but that's only 13 pages long so I don't think it's enough to use it as learning material for university courses. I could look through some of my old Humble Book bundles, and see if I can find some relevant ebooks in there. I think they included something about assembly at some point. You can add me on Discord if you want them. I'm FADED#0001.

Ghost

King Coder
I'm a 21 year old developer from europe
I started coding during 3rd grade
I eventually ended up writing C++ for a living.
Something that I'm currently very interested in is VM- and compiler-design.
If any of you knows a thing or two about this, please let me know :whistle:

I condensed your post in my quote just to make it a bit easier to read!
First off, welcome to CodeForum! I have already come across a great reply of yours this morning, so I hope to see some more soon. I've got some questions for ya!
I used to live in England for my middle school days, and was fortunate enough to travel around a lot. Which part of Europe are you in?
I'm definitely jealous of your abilities with C++ and other difficult languages for operating systems. I have stuck with the web languages for the most part, and have kept my software programming limited to wrappers with Python & JS (Electron) / Node.js, and Java.

I don't know too much about VM/Compiler design, but I could ask my business partner at my company if you have any specific questions. He's a great guy & extremely knowledgeable when it comes to that.

See you around! Welcome again :)

sn0w

Active Coder
First off, welcome to CodeForum!

Which part of Europe are you in?

I live in germany.

I have stuck with the web languages for the most part, and have kept my software programming limited to wrappers with Python & JS (Electron) / Node.js, and Java.

Oh that's neat too.
I actually had my apprenticeship at a web agency and did a lot of PHP backend development there,
but in the end it wasn't really my cup of tea. ^^

Last edited:

Ghost

King Coder
I live in western germany.

Oh that's neat too.
I actually had my apprenticeship at a web agency and did a lot of PHP backend development there,
but in the end it wasn't really my cup of tea. ^^
Hallo, gutentag! .... oder gutenmorgen?
I don't speak much German, but I do remember some!
Ich mag programmierung! (had to google "programming" translation)

Do you speak German? I made the assumption you do...
PHP backend development can get annoying. Now I really only enjoy it when I am doing complicated work like creating an extremely dynamic system. I am absolutely bored of connecting to a database & returning JSON results though... :)