Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you develop a blog?

I think it's important to be authentic.
To blog about topics that you care about, and to not post random stuff just to keep the visitor counts high.

I use WordPress on my blog. I picked a theme that I liked and also installed some plugins. I created my own plugin as well to generate short URLs for my articles in the admin CP edit page too so I can easily share links on Twitter/etc if I choose to.

I keep my articles focused on programming, development and tech. I make sure each article is either informative, a tutorial or a list / review of resources.

- nerdi.org is my blog

I don't like to give out exact plugin names/versions because it can open me up to exploits if there is a known or undiscovered vulnerability out there.
However, I can tell you that I use a custom plugin I made called Twalli (for URL shortening on Twalli.com - previously tldr.ly). I also use JetPack for stats & some other things, with a third-party anti-spam plugin to help out my the comments area, and some GitHub related things :)

I don't really use much :)

Well, first things first. What is your Blog going to be focused on? Is it Cooking, Health, maybe your Personal-Life and what you're doing. Have some thought put into what you want your Blog to be about.

Next, choose a Software. The most common one is WordPress. It's an amazing piece of Software and it has many Add-Ons for it too(Although, you'll need to have a Paid-Tier Version to have Add-Ons). WordPress is also good if you want to look professional. Google's Blogger is one that comes to mind. Although, it doesn't have that 'Professional' feel that WordPress has. Not to mention that it's also deeply-integrated into Google Services so if you value Privacy then maybe skip Blogger. But Blogger is good if you're a beginner or you just want something to quickly write an Article for.

There is plenty of Blogging-Software out there so do some shopping and see what appeals to you the most.

And last but not least, start writing for your Blog. When people come to a Blog, they expect to find some Articles based on what your Blog is centered on(e.g Health or Technology). After you've written at least a few Articles, try and promote your Blog. Post it on Web-Master Forums and Social-Media. You're most likely bound to get Attention. Make sure you also pay attention to what you're readers say about your Blog and it's Articles in the Comments. Comments are vital to improving your Articles and Blog so once some time has passed and people have read your Article, look at the Comments and see what Feedback you've been given.

Hope this helps.

Well, first things first. What is your Blog going to be focused on? Is it Cooking, Health, maybe your Personal-Life and what you're doing. Have some thought put into what you want your Blog to be about.

[.. redacted ..]

Hope this helps.

I like that you touched on the main points of focusing on the content, instead of solely on the technical side of things.
A lot of people get so focused on the blog software, design, etc, that they never actually put much time into writing high quality content.

+1 good suggestions!

Thank you.

I've never really noticed Posts where they go into the Technical-Side of stuff. Although to be honest, you are right. It's more about the Software, is it right for you and does it look clean and professional rather than it is on writing some actual decent content.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom