Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to get all (not excluding any times) data in home (or maybe /) directory of 16.04 Ubuntu Touch tablet?

JosiahMaybe

Gold Coder
I have some programming data on like my Ubuntu Touch Nexus 7 Flo 16GB running Ubuntu Touch 16.04. I have already tarred home directory on it and tried all types of computers I can to get off data with all timestamps. Created at and other than last modified do not stay, even with tarring I am unsure. I ran this on home directory to make a tar of home directory.

tar -p -czvf archive.tar.gz .

That seems to have worked but like my computers do not recognize those timestamps so I can't be sure. That end dot was in command. I am trying to get all home directory files to a computer from that Ubuntu Touch tablet and maybe have a full backup of it that if I had another Nexus 7 Flo or something I could restore all data. I tried to tar root directory too, failure even with sudo. I would prefer a full backup like system image or something but do not know how to be sure. Attaching like my research. How can I be sure this worked is like my main question. I would rather not try anything dangerous with like my only copy of those timestamps. I know I have a full backup of home directory otherwise.

I have an Ubuntu current LTS with Ubuntu Pro I would prefer to use for this if I can. I also have 2 Windows 10 computers, one of which has ADB and android stuff and which I used to make it Ubuntu Touch tablet. Also, it is 16GB, not loaded, but I would prefer a straight to off tablet backup if I could. I do not really need more than home directory but more would be good. I understand I already found some things to try but I may prefer not to bloat like my tablet trying. I am trying for local, not cloud, backup.

If it helps, rsync, cp, and straight copy and paste on like my Ubuntu computer leave a current time created at. I understand I could write this stuff out but I prefer automation. I am also trying for an any machine readable format one once so just raw system image may not work for all like my purposes. That would be 2 backups, a system image (which I know how and can do) and an any machine readable thing with all timestamps (which is what I may ask help with). X E.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have some programming data on like my Ubuntu Touch Nexus 7 Flo 16GB running Ubuntu Touch 16.04. I have already tarred home directory on it and tried all types of computers I can to get off data with all timestamps. Created at and other than last modified do not stay, even with tarring I am unsure. I ran this on home directory to make a tar of home directory.

tar -p -czvf archive.tar.gz .

That seems to have worked but like my computers do not recognize those timestamps so I can't be sure. That end dot was in command. I am trying to get all home directory files to a computer from that Ubuntu Touch tablet and maybe have a full backup of it that if I had another Nexus 7 Flo or something I could restore all data. I tried to tar root directory too, failure even with sudo. I would prefer a full backup like system image or something but do not know how to be sure. Attaching like my research. How can I be sure this worked is like my main question. I would rather not try anything dangerous with like my only copy of those timestamps. I know I have a full backup of home directory otherwise.

I have an Ubuntu current LTS with Ubuntu Pro I would prefer to use for this if I can. I also have 2 Windows 10 computers, one of which has ADB and android stuff and which I used to make it Ubuntu Touch tablet. Also, it is 16GB, not loaded, but I would prefer a straight to off tablet backup if I could. I do not really need more than home directory but more would be good. I understand I already found some things to try but I may prefer not to bloat like my tablet trying. I am trying for local, not cloud, backup.

If it helps, rsync, cp, and straight copy and paste on like my Ubuntu computer leave a current time created at. I understand I could write this stuff out but I prefer automation. I am also trying for an any machine readable format one once so just raw system image may not work for all like my purposes. That would be 2 backups, a system image (which I know how and can do) and an any machine readable thing with all timestamps (which is what I may ask help with). X E.
You know what the dot does, right?

Partly, according to what I know that is where relative to terminal and . makes it current directory. Should I have used ./ or ~/ or /home/phablet? I am sorry, I am new to this. In that archive all were in a ./ directory. I got a whole ~/ backup not including created at. Also, I think I know that recovery has a backup option. Thanks Antero360. X E.

If it helps, data on that tar file said it totalled 1MB and it seems to have included all home directory files without created at or accessed at. I do not need accessed at but created at would be good. X E.

So what to do after I set that up? I know how to. Will a system image store all that data? I found how to make a system image by installing phablet-tools. All I care about is that home data and timestamps. I do not need anything else. Still good to have a full backup though. I tried backup/restore in recovery, just loops back to main menu. X E.

I found that I could maybe just make a disk image of this device but a question is, how to test it to be holding all data I like want. How to test any method is nearly like my main question. X E.
I mean, if you're not doing a complete system backup, and just backing up certain things, then I would just go with a tarball of what you want. Granted, you may need to either get everything you really want to backup into a specific directory and just create the tarball of that directory, or create the tarball in a specific directory and just add to that tarball

So what command should I use to tar home directory? I already tried and failed. I am storing tarballs at Music because it was empty. I am okay making a system image, I just want one that is like files any computer could understand even if I need an install for it. That tar command made a tarball with only last modified timestamps that I tried. It is ./ or ~/ isn't it? X E.

I think I may try a Windows computer with it again, that has worked before but there have been updates since then and last time I tried it gave a not matching anything time set. I think I need to keep screen on that tablet on entire time I copy. X E.

So what command should I use to tar home directory? I already tried and failed. I am storing tarballs at Music because it was empty. I am okay making a system image, I just want one that is like files any computer could understand even if I need an install for it. That tar command made a tarball with only last modified timestamps that I tried. It is ./ or ~/ isn't it? X E.
Again, coming back to my earlier statement... are you going to back up EVERYTHING under home directory, or cherry pick what you want to backup?

All of home directory. I also may try a system image. X E.
Since you want a backup of home, I suggest you add the backup file to a directory that is not a subdirectory of home.. so place the tar file on the directory that home lives in..so something like

tar ~/../bakup.tar ~

I think I will just use an exclude option because I do not have access to other than home directory on that tablet currently and store attempts in Music so I can exclude all attempts. Also, according to that thing you sent I should have used other than just . like I was using. I already knew what those letter parts meant. I think I will still use -p though. That is not explained there but it preserves all timestamps. Who knows, maybe I will find on another computer that it worked. X E.

From what I know this is what command I should use and I should do it in Home directory.

tar -czpvf Music/name.tar.gz --exclude="Music/*.tar.gz" ~/

Is this correct seeming? X E.

I just realized I was only using -av options on rsync and rsync has -h option to list all options and tar has --help option to list all options. I now realize I can use rsync but tar will not do any more than just modified at times. Like my new rsync command to try:

rsync -vrlptDAXUNtg --open-noatime (from) (to)

With that it should preserve everything. Thanks @Antero360 and these built in help things are like better. zzzcode.ai was wrong on this one. If this does not work I am screwed. I realize v is an added and not a needed but I would prefer to know like everything. If there is anything wrong with this feel free to inform me and I think I know all I should now. X E.

I discovered that rsync on like my computer does not support "-N" so I am almost screwed but I made a ruby program to record file properties to a file. This should work seemingly. It does make it in current directory. I would have to copy it to that tablet. Anyway, everything does not work with this so far, but I may have a solution. X E.

I made a copy of times using like my program modified on like my computer writing to like my computer with no transfer to that tablet. It worked. I now have a computer and other device ruby program that records file and directory properties. X E.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom