Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML html template tool?

presidentkirby

New Coder
i did not know what else to title this lol

ok so, say, for example, i add a new link to my nav, and i have multiple pages with that same nav on them. is there a way to automatically update the other pages to also have the new link added to the nav, or do i have to update them all manually? i know dreamweaver has a "template" feature like this, but i'm not using dreamweaver to build this site, and i also want to be able to easily add new pages in the future without having to edit more and more .html files just to make one change like that. does that make sense? sorry if my wording is messy, hopefully my question is easy enough to understand.

(also, just in case it's worth noting, this is for a personal site, so i don't really need to worry about more "professional" methods or anything, just something to get the job done)

If you wanted the easiest way to do it:
  1. When you start creating the website, create all of the pages that you know will be included in the navigation menu.
  2. Start typing out your index.html file with all of the nav links.
  3. Duplicate the index.html file, renaming them for each page.
Doing this at the start for the main pages of your nav menu would probably be the easiest way to do this. As for adding new links, I don't think there is any efficient way of doing it manually outside of developing an automated script that will scan the files for any new pages and insert code into the files for the new nav links - for a personal website though, this is quite overkill for a task that only takes a few seconds to do(or longer, depending on how many pages you need to update).

If you wanted the easiest way to do it:
  1. When you start creating the website, create all of the pages that you know will be included in the navigation menu.
  2. Start typing out your index.html file with all of the nav links.
  3. Duplicate the index.html file, renaming them for each page.
Doing this at the start for the main pages of your nav menu would probably be the easiest way to do this. As for adding new links, I don't think there is any efficient way of doing it manually outside of developing an automated script that will scan the files for any new pages and insert code into the files for the new nav links - for a personal website though, this is quite overkill for a task that only takes a few seconds to do(or longer, depending on how many pages you need to update).
yeah, makes sense. i just wish there was a way to emulate one of the only things i liked about dreamweaver. oh well, thank you!

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom