I don't like the new logo

cbreemer

King Coder
I was a bit surprised too by suddenly seeing a new icon in my favorites bar. Not associating it with superheroes, I think it looks very smart on the banner's black background, but the all-green icon on white background is very wimpy and non-descript. And apart from that, the old logo and icon were much nicer imo, and very original. I would vote to have that back.

null_reflections

Well-Known Coder
I was a bit surprised too by suddenly seeing a new icon in my favorites bar. Not associating it with superheroes, I think it looks very smart on the banner's black background, but the all-green icon on white background is very wimpy and non-descript. And apart from that, the old logo and icon were much nicer imo, and very original. I would vote to have that back.
The green on the last one gave it kinda a lab feel...i guess the new logo is fine, i tend to like wierder art.

BorkedSystem32

King Coder
Was just about to point that out.

I don't really care much about the logo. I did prefer the old one as it had a nice charm to it(programmers are human??? - the perception of a face in the logo gives off that idea anyway) and I didn't see any need to change it. Logo changes in my opinion aren't really needed, unless the logo is that outdated in terms of design(e.g. logo is still 3D from about 30+ years ago when modern logos are 2D/flat now).

I'm more interested really in the future updates that are in place for the site. Then again, it's a forum and once you've got the software running and all of the add-ons you need, there isn't much change needed to be done to it. Events/programming challenges were a thing being touted here for a while, but the attempts at them in my opinion were really bad as they lacked challenge for programmers of all levels and it's been over a year now since they were last attempted, which tells me they're in the trash. If I'm going to do a challenge, I expect to be challenged with a problem, not a simple "write your name in pretty ASCII text" fun activity.

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
We appreciate all the feedback given about the logo. However this is a moment for Code Forum to flip the page to the next chapter so that's why we will continue to move forward with the new logo and do our best to make it fit. We hope you can support us in this next chapter.

We have temporarily rolled back the Favicon, as it's difficult to see on some browsers. Work will begin on this shortly.

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
I'm more interested really in the future updates that are in place for the site. Then again, it's a forum and once you've got the software running and all of the add-ons you need, there isn't much change needed to be done to it. Events/programming challenges were a thing being touted here for a while, but the attempts at them in my opinion were really bad as they lacked challenge for programmers of all levels and it's been over a year now since they were last attempted, which tells me they're in the trash. If I'm going to do a challenge, I expect to be challenged with a problem, not a simple "write your name in pretty ASCII text" fun activity.
I'm going to be quite honest with you @BorkedSystem32, there is way more to it than just getting the 'software running' and installing all the add-ons. I spent countless hours working on maintaining, building and improving Code Forum as whole. From email deliverability, servers, managing staff to social media campaigning and advertising to building monitors so we can get insight to what we all want.

As for challenges, they are currently on hold. With that being said, coding challenges for sure had their flaws, they weren't engaging members, too easy nor well put together. I completely understand - these challenges were what I could come up with given my experience at the time and when I first posted them I had no idea what they should look like or how they should even work. So the coding challenges were completely new to me.

With the feedback that you provided, we'll make sure to try and make challenges better in the future. You are more than welcome to provide suggestions.

BorkedSystem32

King Coder
I'm going to be quite honest with you @BorkedSystem32, there is way more to it than just getting the 'software running' and installing all the add-ons. I spent countless hours working on maintaining, building and improving Code Forum as whole. From email deliverability, servers, managing staff to social media campaigning and advertising to building monitors so we can get insight to what we all want.
Ah, I underestimated(and I guess forgot too) the responsibilities involved in running a forum - my bad.

As for challenges, they are currently on hold. With that being said, coding challenges for sure had their flaws, they weren't engaging members, too easy nor well put together. I completely understand - these challenges were what I could come up with given my experience at the time and when I first posted them I had no idea what they should look like or how they should even work. So the coding challenges were completely new to me.

With the feedback that you provided, we'll make sure to try and make challenges better in the future. You are more than welcome to provide suggestions.
Okay, I understand now. If you made the challenges based on your own programming experience, might that not have signalled you were a bit too early in starting them or perhaps delegate the responsibility of managing challenges to somebody else at the time? Of course, you may not have realised then your actual skill level, but looking back you know what it was then compared to now, and that's a mistake - we learn from them.

I don't have any good ideas right now for challenges: make an RPG with X components or make Y program in less than Z amount of lines? Stuff like that maybe. Perhaps check out Advent of Code or Project Euler or maybe the plethora of idea lists on GitHub(I can link some of them to you if you wish) if you want some ideas for challenges, and ones that will really get people thinking: programming is very dependent on logic as you further build your program, so a challenge of the right difficulty will help sharpen reasoning skills(and programming too, of course).

null_reflections

Well-Known Coder
Coding challenges can be fun, yet i personally think that making it easier for people to talk about things other than blatant code and their "career" might be an easier way to make people a little more joyous about posting here.

Here's an idea: there is currently a "no talk of malicious coding" rule, but i think that a sub-forum on security concerns would be a way to moderate some of the perhaps tasteful behavior associated with that. I've seen youtube videos where people show viruses or how to make them, not only is it pretty benign by itself, but viruses also become outdated with small changes to operating systems. I think security is relevant to every type of coder in every type of IT industry.

I don't know a whole lot about what moderators put up with, but i have been using forums for a long time (about 20 years now) and i think that taking people's minds off of some of the crappier aspects of being a programmer might be useful if coding challenges didn't work before. Thanks for giving me another place to talk about information technology, robots, algorithms, etc.!

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Here's an idea: there is currently a "no talk of malicious coding" rule, but i think that a sub-forum on security concerns would be a way to moderate some of the perhaps tasteful behavior associated with that. I've seen youtube videos where people show viruses or how to make them, not only is it pretty benign by itself, but viruses also become outdated with small changes to operating systems. I think security is relevant to every type of coder in every type of IT industry.
I'm willing to get behind this.. I'll discuss it with my team.

I think the Code of Conduct needs to be reviewed, so this could be a good time to go over this.

null_reflections

Well-Known Coder
I'm willing to get behind this.. I'll discuss it with my team.

I think the Code of Conduct needs to be reviewed, so this could be a good time to go over this.
In terms of my personal interest, i tend to find social engineering as a cyber-sec concept to be totally un-interesting...big deal, you tricked granny into giving you her social security check. Everyone has to deal with those people every day! However, i tend to find elegant design to be really attractive, that could be in the form of creating some complicated and helpful app, or destroying an entire system with a couple of lines of code. Those are both neat ideas i wish i knew more about! However, i also really you're basically opening pandoras box by inviting conversations about viruses, so of course feel free to exercise your own creative control with anything i say about your forum.