Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Python Is programming for everyone?

luckyoi

New Coder
Hello everyone!
I am kind of new in programming and I have some troubles learning and I was wondering; is programming really for everyone?
I am 19 years old and I've been mostly editing codes rather then making own (with no intention of stealing but just messing around to have fun).
I've tried learning coding from a lot of websites and courses but I just can't seem to understand how the code works. I know like small basics of javascript and python which I'm trying to learn.
I think I have 2 major problems.

My 1st biggest problem is that I can't keep concentration and because of it, i guess, I can't understand how it works, it's more like I remember how the part of a code looked and I just rewrite it as I don't understand always how to do it myself.

My 2nd biggest problem is that I lose motivation really fast in learning becase of the first problem and it's really frustrating. I started "learning" these two languages 2-3 years ago and I've started all over again like 10 times in total.
I just started it again 2 days ago and I just can't keep focusing and it really makes me wonder is coding for everyone?

How do you keep motivating yourself to not just quit when it's not working out? Any advice?
This is not just while learning to code, I lose motivation on most things : /

I want to mention that I consume weed on daily bases (usually before going to sleep). I guess my head is in clouds all day long even if I'm not high at the moment.
Does anyone have experience in coding while smoking weed?

I'm willing to change my habbits if it really means that I actually can code and that i'm capable to learn how it works.
I THINK i am a bad problem solver which might be bad for programming as it's basically based on problem solving when it comes to debugging.
Is there a way to train myself to be a better problem solver?

I am greatfull for every response and answer!

P.S. Sorry for my bad grammar :)

Hi, I'm not an experienced (or skilled, unfortunately) programmer, but I'll give you some advice.

When it comes to concentration, you could just code for a short time and take short breaks frequently. Set a little goal for yourself (like focus for 10-20 minutes) and then you can relax. At least, this is what I do.

As for motivation, I tend to just go and find a bunch of super easy problems I can do, and by smoothly coding out the program I gain confidence. When I have confidence, I have motivation, and I start studying and coding and so on. Additionally, I have a habit of watching Youtube videos of pro devs and I think: "Wow! I want to be able to do this too!"

I have never smoked weed before, so I'm not sure how it may affect your coding. But if it starts to cause big problems to your health, I recommend stopping, because programming already involves sitting at a desk for hours staring at text on a screen.

I'm also bad at problem-solving, and that's where Google comes in. You can try to roughly identify your bug and search for ways to solve it. If you don't understand something, search! If you can't find the answer, Stack Overflow or this forum can help you. Within time, you'll get better, don't worry.

I hope my tips helped you, and I encourage you to keep going. Programming is a very useful skill, and you'll get loads of career opportunities. Of course, you could also show off to your friends, and that doesn't take too much. You'll get through if you work hard and get through all those countless head-banging-on-keyboard-because-of-a-bug moments :)

Hi, I'm not an experienced (or skilled, unfortunately) programmer, but I'll give you some advice.

When it comes to concentration, you could just code for a short time and take short breaks frequently. Set a little goal for yourself (like focus for 10-20 minutes) and then you can relax. At least, this is what I do.

As for motivation, I tend to just go and find a bunch of super easy problems I can do, and by smoothly coding out the program I gain confidence. When I have confidence, I have motivation, and I start studying and coding and so on. Additionally, I have a habit of watching Youtube videos of pro devs and I think: "Wow! I want to be able to do this too!"

I have never smoked weed before, so I'm not sure how it may affect your coding. But if it starts to cause big problems to your health, I recommend stopping, because programming already involves sitting at a desk for hours staring at text on a screen.

I'm also bad at problem-solving, and that's where Google comes in. You can try to roughly identify your bug and search for ways to solve it. If you don't understand something, search! If you can't find the answer, Stack Overflow or this forum can help you. Within time, you'll get better, don't worry.

I hope my tips helped you, and I encourage you to keep going. Programming is a very useful skill, and you'll get loads of career opportunities. Of course, you could also show off to your friends, and that doesn't take too much. You'll get through if you work hard and get through all those countless head-banging-on-keyboard-because-of-a-bug moments :)
thank you for your tips and responding!
I will use them to try improve myself!
Could you recommend me some language to start as first language? maybe i choosed wrong language to start with and it might seem boring.
By the way, when you said you tend to find bunch of super easy problems, what type of problems and how do you find them?
Sorry for noobish questions

you sound like me minus the weed lol. My advice is find something you like doing then do it, for example my first year of learning python i built a automated shop. It was something i was motivated to do so i learned alot. Second year i built facebook/instagram bots same reason. This year i am building my own AI just throw your self into something you want to build and learn as you go :)

you sound like me minus the weed lol. My advice is find something you like doing then do it, for example my first year of learning python i built a automated shop. It was something i was motivated to do so i learned alot. Second year i built facebook/instagram bots same reason. This year i am building my own AI just throw your self into something you want to build and learn as you go :)
thank you for advice!

thank you for your tips and responding!
I will use them to try improve myself!
Could you recommend me some language to start as first language? maybe i choosed wrong language to start with and it might seem boring.
By the way, when you said you tend to find bunch of super easy problems, what type of problems and how do you find them?
Sorry for noobish questions
I suggest learning Python if that wasn't your first language because it's easy to read and the syntax is not too annoying. However, if you are more of a web dev guy, HTML is fine to start with.

You can always look up beginner projects on the internet (build a rock paper scissors game, build a simple calculator, etc) or you can review things you have already done before and find a better solution for them. When finding projects to code, don't hesitate to use google :) Also, although some programs may seem intimidating at first, you should try your best and do what you can. Then, asking your web browser or other people will help a lot. I have never met a single programmer who doesn't utilize copy and pasting chunks when they get stuck.

hope this helps :)

You can always look up beginner projects on the internet (build a rock paper scissors game, build a simple calculator, etc)

Hi Lucky,

I believe it is a good advice. Reading dry text and trying to follow other person's thoughts may be challenging in the beginning. That is why I also recommend doing your own little projects, while using the documentation merely as a reference.

For example, a number guessing game (you know, saying bigger / smaller on user's input) may be really simple to program (maybe some 10 lines of code). Some other, really rewarding example could be a ball bouncing of screen edges (maybe some 20 lines of code), which you can later turn into 2-players pong game you can show off to your friends.

Don't get intimidated by programming, all beginnings are hard. If you manage to walk through the first steps, a whole new world of computing may open to you, and it's really an awesome world worth of all the trouble.

hey fellow coder , 1st of all coding is not for everyone , some really like it , some do it for the money and excel at it , and some just can't stand it , I can tell you from my short experience (10 months into coding) is that it works like any other language in your brain, you have to practice and apply it in order to get better at it , if you start with python that's great, just focus on 1 language and master it , try to be creative and think of a project that you want to create , and do it , I admit that I'm not always in the mood for coding , but sometimes it can be fun to solve problems . and another thing , I don't recommend anyone to code while smoking weed since weed makes you lazy and slow and it can be very exhausting trying to concentrate and solve problems while high on mary jane .... try coding without the weed I'm sure it'll bring better results :)

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom