Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Is There a Tutorial for Very Simple MMORPG?

MrDangem

Coder
screen-4.jpg
screen-1.jpg
screen-2.jpg

I really want to make a game like this a very simple MMORPG.

I wonder what should I study and practice first in coding.
or is there a software that can help me make this kind of game.

Also I would also love it if there is guide for browser game like this.

A couple different softwares (also free) that you should look into is Unity and Unreal Engine. They are designed for making all types of games. Might need a bit of C++ or C# experience/knowledge but if you try and learn them you will find that they are both great platforms to make games with. They are free for personal use so you can download them at any time and start work on a game. It's amazing that they don't cost I personally think myself. I currently have Unity and was going to download Unreal Engine after a while. A great way to start a project on C++ or C# would be to try those programs out, open up an IDE designed for it such as visual studio community (free as well) and see what you can develop.

Though this seems like a much simpler game at glance, you could probably develop a browser based version in a much easier language such as javascript which I'm sure is possible though I've never tried it. Possibly some type of javascript framework those these are just assumptions. I'm sure it's possible without C++ or C#. But I would still download Unity and Unreal Engine since their free and you could get started quite well with them.

No Unity and Unreal Engine 4 are free for personal use. Also it helps to use programming, especially for more advanced games but speaking of Unity I found this while browsing the web which basically shows you how you can do it without programming. There are different things you can get from the Unity Asset store to help you with that -> https://unity3d.com/make-a-game-in-unity-without-programming

But yeah I'm excited to give it a try myself before too long

Yes, they are free for the Personal-Edition(Unreal is entirely free though with the downside being 5% of your Royalties). People have made Games using Unity Personal-Edition and Unity hasn't taken action against them. Even when you get Personal-Edition, Unity says that you may only use Personal-Edition if your Company makes less than $100K.

To be honest, no.
There are tutorials, but you will need to know:
Server code and databases to store player data
Server code to handle user actions and NPC commands
Client side code to handle user actions, show in game changes, etc

Basically, if you can't make a full single player online game then the MMORPG tutorials will be extremely difficult if not impossible to follow.

Check out ThinMatrix on YouTube. He develops games and goes through his progress. It should give you a good idea of the time and skills needed.

Sorry OP, but I don't think any tutorial will be capable of helping you make an MMORPG if you don't already have game dev experience.

You will need to know a C language or Java, 2D or 3D modeling and rendering, database design, client-server action verification to stop hacking, server load balancing / nodes, how to automate client game updates, and probably some web languages to handle account management to create an MMORPG. You can't just learn Unity or Unreal to make an MMORPG. Those engines are just a starting point for PART of an MMORPG.

As @Ghost said, no. It would be extremely difficult to build an MMORPG.

You'd first, need to have experience with developing Video Games. But to gain experience with making Video Games, you'd need to know a couple of Programming-Languages. The popular Languages for Game-Development are C++(Unreal Engine, Godot and a lot of Proprietary Game-Engines), C#(Unity3D, Godot[I think] and MonoGame API) and Java(JMonkey and LWJGL API). Those are the popular Languages in today's world of Game-Development.

Next, when you've learned a couple of Languages. You need to start making Games. Start off simple. Either pick-up a Game-Engine like Unity3D or create a Text-Adventure Game. Or hell, maybe create a Game using an API such as OpenGL(C or C++) or LWJGL(Java). In Unity or Unreal, you'd be restricted to their APIs, not to mention that they'd have limited Functionality and restricted Server-Sizes. But if you had your own Game, built from scratch with it's own Graphics-Engine, own Sound-Engine, own Components etc. then you'd have a lot more free-reign with what you can do.

But, when you've got the experience with developing Video Games with a pre-existing Game-Engine or from scratch, you now need to know how to do things such as Networking, having Players connect to Servers and how to synchronize Gameplay and Player-Movement all at once. Mind you, this won't be easy and it won't be cheap either. Servers can rack-up Costs pretty fast, but that depends on how much people are playing, the amount of Code being executed at Runtime and what's being sent to the Server and back to the Players.

As @Ghost also said, ThinMatrix is a YouTuber who creates Video Games. His first Project was an MMORPG which got pretty far into Development. But he ended up scrapping it as it never reached the KickStarter Goal that the Funds from it would be used for Server-Costs for the Game, personal-stuff, Equipment for Development etc. Later on, he began a new Game and that made it out to release and has garnered good Reviews. Both the MMORPG and his new Game were written in Java. He has also made some Videos teaching LWJGL, so if you know Java or plan to learn it then check them out when you know the Language.

But, please do not take on a Project as big as an MMORPG on your own. It will be extremely difficult and it won't make it very far unless you create simple Game-Models and Sounds, know what you're doing and are good with the Language it's being built in. You could, of course, make it a Text-Adventure MMO as you would only have to write Code and not do anything else such as Sound-Effects and Models, but even then, you still have to deal with Networking. Which isn't easy.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom