Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Is there a way to make an Apple app on Ubuntu?

JosiahMaybe

Gold Coder
I can program in Swift and have a Lenovo Thinkpad T460 with current Ubuntu and Swift installed. I already make Swift libraries. Is there any way to make an app for any Apple platform on Ubuntu as I have? Like could I make an iOS, iPadOS, MacOS or VisionOS, etc. app? Not all at once obviously but can one be done? If I could even make it on Windows maybe. Trying for native like Swift, not like Ruby or Flutter. X E.

Last edited:
Solution
I can program in Swift and have a Lenovo Thinkpad T460 with current Ubuntu and Swift installed. I already make Swift libraries. Is there any way to make an app for any Apple platform on Ubuntu as I have? Like could I make an iOS, iPadOS, MacOS or VisionOS, etc. app? Not all at once obviously but can one be done? If I could even make it on Windows maybe. Trying for native like Swift, not like Ruby or Flutter. X E.
Unfortunately, you are going to run into the issue that you need xcode installed in order to be able to build ios apps natively on other platforms, which is a problem because to my knowledge, it's not portable on ubuntu...I did do a bit more digging and found some articles that explain it better for you...
Unfortunately, you are going to run into the issue that you need xcode installed in order to be able to build ios apps natively on other platforms, which is a problem because to my knowledge, it's not portable on ubuntu...I did do a bit more digging and found some articles that explain it better for you:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/tp2564/ios_development_on_linux/

Solution
Yeah, I guess answer may be no because Apple has in their terms that MacOS is strictly for Apple products. I find most cross platform to be like web, not native. I guess Ruby or Java or like that is closest I can come to native. Maybe I should make a Java app. X E.

Knowing there are pay in things like MacInCloud.com is one thing but I prefer native to this and at those prices I might be better off with a cheap Mac with Open Core or something and Mac OS Sonoma. So far looks like answer is get an Apple product or don't develop for Apple. Maybe if you can explain how it is legal to have MacOS on like my machine but I doubt I should. They have an exclusively for "Apple branded products" thing in their terms for MacOS. I know I can use about everything in Java for MacOS so maybe that is an answer. Sort of native and can be used. Others such as iOS, etc. not so much. X E.

Last edited:
Hi @JosiahMaybe

Yes, there are some ways to make an Apple app on Ubuntu using third-party tools such as:
1. Utilize a Virtual Machine: Employ a dedicated software component to load macOS on your Linux system virtually.
2. Using a Sandbox or Dual Boot: Install both Linux and MacOS on your system using a Sandbox or Dual Boot setup. Access macOS features and develop Swift on Linux without a virtual machine.
3. Apply Cross-platform Solutions: For iOS development on Linux, utilize cross-platform solutions that run seamlessly on both Linux and Mac platforms.

Thanks

I named some cross platform tools and so did Antero360. I am trying for a native app not a web app. I can't legally do those other 2 things because MacOS, which I would need, is in its terms only for "Apple branded products" so if I had a Mac with Ubuntu certainly but I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T460. If you can explain how I can legally use MacOS based on its terms then I may use that. Otherwise I guess I will use Ruby or Java and make cross platform computer stuff. X E.

Developing an Apple app (iOS or macOS) directly on Ubuntu is not officially supported by Apple. Apple's development tools, such as Xcode, are primarily designed for macOS. However, developers can use cross-platform development tools like Flutter or React Native to build iOS apps on Ubuntu, although testing and deploying may still require access to macOS or macOS virtualization. Additionally, cloud-based solutions like MacStadium offer remote access to macOS environments for development purposes.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom