Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

JavaScript jQuery each

System32

Active Coder
So, I am having this page: https://testaca.forumotion.me/t6-vote
There, every post has: "vote-bar-desc" class that holds text such as: "Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)".
What I am trying to do is to loop through each post, set counter (that h4) to the number of votes. I did this

JavaScript:
$(document).ready(function(){

$(".post-body").each(function () {
  let position = $(".vote-bar-desc").text().lastIndexOf("(");
  let reputation = $(".vote-bar-desc").text().slice(position).replace(/[^0-9\.]+/g, ""); 
$(".personal-vote h4").text(reputation);                 

}); 
  });

I clear the string, get the number of votes but the issue is the number that it is placed is not correct. This loop gets right away all the values from class "vote-bar-desc" and i get wrong result, of course. So, how to deal with this? If you guys need a way to get total number of posts, you can use this:
JavaScript:
let numOfPosts =  $('.post-body').children('div').length;

So, I am having this page: https://testaca.forumotion.me/t6-vote
There, every post has: "vote-bar-desc" class that holds text such as: "Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)".
What I am trying to do is to loop through each post, set counter (that h4) to the number of votes. I did this

JavaScript:
$(document).ready(function(){

$(".post-body").each(function () {
  let reputation = $(".vote-bar-desc").text().slice(position).replace(/[^0-9\.]+/g, "");

});
  });

I clear the string, get the number of votes but the issue is the number that it is placed is not correct. This loop gets right away all the values from class "vote-bar-desc" and i get wrong result, of course. So, how to deal with this? If you guys need a way to get total number of posts, you can use this:
JavaScript:
let numOfPosts =  $('.post-body').children('div').length;
Hey there,
Ok, so I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to do. I get the goal, but, isn't that what the original number in the h4 is representing?

Screenshot_1.jpg

So, down there we see total number of votes. I would like to pull that up into h4. But, do that for each post. My srcipt doesn't work well. It gets last value from last post and put it everywhere. Doesn't go post by post.

View attachment 1812

So, down there we see total number of votes. I would like to pull that up into h4. But, do that for each post. My srcipt doesn't work well. It gets last value from last post and put it everywhere. Doesn't go post by post.
I figured that was the goal, but I was confused as to whether or not the (2 votes) and the number between the arrows were representing the same thing.
Part of your issue is this line
1669741072641.png

What you want is to query the current post-body for the '.personal-vote h4'
For reference:

Looking at it a bit more, all three lines are an issue

Code:

Here's why:
$('.className'); === this returns a collection of all elements that have the class of 'className'.
$('#idName'); === this returns one element given the nature of how ids work.

if you are iterating through an array of elements, and you want to target a child of that element, does it make sense to grab a collection of all child items of that you are looking for, or does it make more sense to query the current element's children?

I have a trouble understanding jQuery each, even tough I read the explanation. It is not hard with basic examples, but this is real life problem with lots of html and many sub children in it. But I get what you said about post-body. The ID I have of complete post is "post-xyz". Now, how can I possibly access each ID when I don't know the post number?

Parhaps all of this is quite simple for you but for me it's like advanced science class :D

JavaScript:
$(".post-body").each( element => {
    //$(element).children()
   //or if you wanna do it with straight js
   //element.querySelector('.personal-vote h4');
});

I have a trouble understanding jQuery each, even tough I read the explanation. It is not hard with basic examples, but this is real life problem with lots of html and many sub children in it. But I get what you said about post-body. The ID I have of complete post is "post-xyz". Now, how can I possibly access each ID when I don't know the post number?

Parhaps all of this is quite simple for you but for me it's like advanced science class :D
lol Believe me, even I have my issues now and then. Totally relatable

Back
Top Bottom