Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML & CSS New Website Development- How to scrape data from other websites

bravoeight

New Coder
Firstly, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and help out!

I am new to web development (using bluehost/wordpress/divi) to develop a website and am looking to add a search bar that searches data from an external website and can take the data and present it on mine as if I had access to the database myself directly. I came across this post but I had a little trouble deciphering it and came here to look for extra help. Any tips?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...on-a-specific-website-using-my-own-search-bar

Thanks again for any help or feedback!

So that post is for someone who wants to have a search box on their website link users over to the back end search on the other website, whereas what you want to do is different. It sounds like you want to have users search and you show the results on your website, but the content doesn't actually live on your website.

Your best bet may be to use a scraping API to fetch the data from the other website, then use that data to sort and search within Wordpress. Keep in mind that you may run into legal issues with this approach as you would be accessing the other site and its content without permission, unless this is something you asked the other site's permission for.

Ultimately you will need a way to get the data from the other website, parse it for the search term, then display it to the user. If you don't use the scraping API, you would need to build something to get the website's data, parse it out and put it in a format users can search. If you do go this route, I would recommend you crawl the other website and store a copy of its data locally rather than having to crawl it on demand as a user searches. If you can index their content locally somehow it saves a call to the other website every time a user searches.

Firstly, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and help out!

I am new to web development (using bluehost/wordpress/divi) to develop a website and am looking to add a search bar that searches data from an external website and can take the data and present it on mine as if I had access to the database myself directly. I came across this post but I had a little trouble deciphering it and came here to look for extra help. Any tips?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...on-a-specific-website-using-my-own-search-bar

Thanks again for any help or feedback!
What language are you building this in?

Back
Top Bottom