Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Picking a Programming Language

Amos

New Coder
I'm brand new to coding, aside from a little python beginner stuff, and quite overwhelmed with all the languages. Mainly overwhelmed about where to begin once I pick that one language to focus on. I know it depends on the projects I want to work with. Right now I have interests in video game development (this could change). I know C++ is used for game development but I can also get good enough with C++ to at least understand what's possible while using Unreal Engine. I wouldn't have to become an expert in C++ if I went into video game design from what I understand. This means I'm not sure if I should focus on C++ or just pick another useful language to really focus on just in case I change my mind along the way.

I'm also interested in blockchain so I was thinking that it would be a good idea to focus on learning a more modern language. This would potentially get me ahead of industry standards in general with whatever projects I decide to work with. So maybe learn Julia instead of Python, Typescript instead of Javascript, or Kotlin instead of Java, etc.

I'm looking for any opinions on a solid language to learn and if I'm correct in picking a more modern one. Should I pick up C++ for knowledge of what's possible with game design since this currently interests me for a future career? Or should I pick up a modern language for long-term learning/hobby that could eventually lead to a job opportunity?

I'm also looking for where to start learning the language I choose. I'm familiar with websites such as Udemy, Coursera, EdX, Youtube, but are there others I don't know about for courses and guidance along the way? I was also considering a coding Bootcamp but I want it to be reputable and worth the cost since college courses would be out of reach at the moment.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom