Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Python Python for JS developers?

jia_111

Well-Known Coder
Hey guys,

I have good knowledge of JavaScript and front-end web technologies.
How easy (or difficult) is it for a JS developer like me to learn Python?
How much time should it take to learn it so well that I can write my own softwares using Python?

Also, I would like to know what are the similarities and differences between the two languages?

Well, what you should know is that there are quite a few differences between to the two.

1. Syntax - Python and JS both have a different Syntax from each other. JS uses Curly-Braces {} and Python uses Semi-Colon : Things like true in JS become True in Python. You'll have to adapt to different the Syntax for both Languages. But, as for learning the Syntax, it shouldn't be too hard seeing as you have experience with a Language that's similar in some ways.
  2. Usage - JS is used mainly for the Web. But in recent times, it has expanded to both Desktop and Mobile. For Python though, it's mainly used for Data-Science, Machine-Learning, Algorithms, you get the idea. But that doesn't stop Python from going anywhere else. Python can also be used on the Web just like JavaScript. You have APIs like Django to help you create Websites with Python.
  3. APIs - Unlike JS where you have to rely on other Tools such as JQuery to do something, Python has APIs. In fact, it has a lot of APIs. There APIs for a lot of things, ranging from Game APIs to Data-APIs and Web-APIs. Python is much bigger when it comes to Tools and APIs so experiment with the most popular APIs and get a taste for them. Say, you don't like Django? Well, there is Flask, another Web-API.
That's just a brief Comparison with the two Languages. I should mention, I am in no way, experienced with JavaScript but I do have a tiny bit of experience with Python.

As for difficulty in learning, as I said, you shouldn't have a hard time learning. You know JavaScript so why can't you know Python? Also, Python has been praised for how easy it is to learn and understand what's going on in the Code and what that Code is doing. So, yeah. Python should be easy to learn. Another good thing about Python is that it's in extremely high demand. While that demand will die down overtime. Python will remain a popular Programming-Language that's worth learning.

So, I recommend you go for it and learn it.

Here are some Resources for Python that I recommend that you use. These include places to chat, the Python Website, the Python Documentation, the Python Download, Python Books etc:
Have fun learning Python!

While JavaScript is currently the most popular programming language, Python could soon outstrip it of this title based on its incredible growth rate. So it is entirely possible that Python could be the most popular programming language by 2020. However, this will merely impact the relative popularity of these two languages and not specify which among them is the better language. That choice is entirely subjective and may depend on multiple factors such as project requirements, scalability, ease of learning as well as the future growth prospects.

Back
Top Bottom