Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Security Discussion Thread

Mathematical

Silver Coder
Hey there.

A few weeks ago, I had set-up a thread in where you can discuss privacy and what you can do to protect it with others. I just got the idea to create the same thread, but for security this time.

In this thread, I encourage all of you to discuss everything related to security. Whether that be about: malware in circulation; the best practices for keeping yourself safe online; discussing encryption; operating-system security; and a bunch of other security-related topics.

For those looking for the privacy thread, you can find it here: https://www.codeforum.org/threads/privacy-discussion-thread.888/

As with the privacy thread, be civil to each other. If things escalate, try to work things out, or else the CF administration team will get involved(Which is the last thing you want). And another thing that's the same as the privacy thread, please do not discuss anything that conflicts with CF's terms-of-service: https://codeforum.org/threads/site-rules-guidelines.4/

Note: Regarding hacking, as stated in the terms-of-service, you cannot discuss or share anything relating to hacking. I cannot comment on white-hat hacking though, until a response is given about it.

The best tool there is for this is the brain. Think before you act. Anti-virus programs are just snake oil and create more problems than they can solve.
You are right when you say that. Even I have learned a lot about keeping safe online, but like millions of other users, I was once a clueless, dumb boy. In my opinion, we don't just need police officers going around schools teaching kids the basics of "staying safe" online. We actually need professionals in security going around schools, organisations, institutions, and corporations teaching everyone on the proper measures needed to stay safe. Instead of saying "don't share your personal-details with strangers"(Which everyone should know, it's common knowledge by now. But I do find it funny how people still share their personal-details with the corporations), we should actually be teaching people how to install tracking-blockers(uBlock Origin or uMatrix), how to come up with good passwords, and the importance of your data.

Regarding anti-virus programs, I'm with everyone else on the fact that you really only need whatever AV or security-tool that comes with your OS. I used to use McAfee when I was previously on Windows, but ever since I've switched to GNU/Linux, I just rely on my common sense, knowledge, and my hardened Firefox. I do have ClamAV(An open-source anti-virus mainly for *nix and *BSD systems), but I never really use it.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom