Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

JavaScript System reaction for messages

System32

Active Coder
Greetings,

I am curious is it possible to create reaction system for messages with JS only? I am aware js is client-side language. The thing is, I have my forum hosted on platform where they allow me to add only HTML, CSS and js (jQuery). No PHP. Having that in mind, is there a solution to this problem? I saw one forum use it one front page only, not for messages. Am I allowed to name the hosting platform, so you might have better understanding?

I'd say it's time to move providers. Free may be a thing of the past, but cheap is still around. It would be best if you had php and a database to learn. Hostgator is $2.75 a mo. - Same for bluehost - both offer wordpress. Hostinger is $1.99 a mo.

I'd say it's time to move providers. Free may be a thing of the past, but cheap is still around. It would be best if you had php and a database to learn. Hostgator is $2.75 a mo. - Same for bluehost - both offer wordpress. Hostinger is $1.99 a mo.
Ye, I got you there, but this is also a coding question, something that I would like to know, understand. There is no way to have some api? I am not sure if that can workout. :D

If yours a free web hosting ? Then you can expect not having server scripting like PHP available. And I don't think there will be a way around that, like hoping for some magic API. If yours is a paid hosting, it sucks not having PHP. Perhaps you may need to upgrade your package and pay a bit more, or indeed switch to a better provider.

If yours a free web hosting ? Then you can expect not having server scripting like PHP available. And I don't think there will be a way around that, like hoping for some magic API. If yours is a paid hosting, it sucks not having PHP. Perhaps you may need to upgrade your package and pay a bit more, or indeed switch to a better provider.
Hi. It is free hosting. Forumotion servers. They are doing plenty of changes to forums look. They got like different versions such as phpBB2, phpBB3, PunBB, Invision, ModernBB and AwesomeBB. Control panel is really good and you can do whatever you want when it comes to html/css/js. PHP part is embeded in html with {variable_name} and you can not change it or access it in any way. That's the issue.

Greetings,

I am curious is it possible to create reaction system for messages with JS only? I am aware js is client-side language. The thing is, I have my forum hosted on platform where they allow me to add only HTML, CSS and js (jQuery). No PHP. Having that in mind, is there a solution to this problem? I saw one forum use it one front page only, not for messages. Am I allowed to name the hosting platform, so you might have better understanding?
Hi there, do you mean with the like/dislike/face emoji type of reaction system, or what did you have in mind?

@System32 I mean it is possible. May be a bit more work, but it is definitely possible. Here's a possible resource for ya
Can I share my test forum where I took code from some guy? He used like system of the forum and reputation system to create reaction like system. But it is not like a common thing as you have on your forum. XenForo one. You hover over and boom, many emojis to pick.

Can I share my test forum where I took code from some guy? He used like system of the forum and reputation system to create reaction like system. But it is not like a common thing as you have on your forum. XenForo one. You hover over and boom, many emojis to pick.
Go for it lol

Had to ask. Some forums prohibit advertisment. But it's a test forum anyway. :geek:
Ignore that big flexbox, it's some other test..

https://testaca.forumotion.me/t3-dsfsdf#7

You can see hearts, like and angry. But there I must use 4 different options to get it. It's not hover over like and pick one.
What you can do is add the emojis into a container
HTML:
<div class="reactions-container" id="reactions-container"></div>
give that container a "display: none" to hide it initially. Hook up the area where the emoji will display with a onhover, and in the onhover, make the reactions container visible. Setup each of the emojis with an onclick, so that once a user clicks on it, it adds it to the display area

What you can do is add the emojis into a container
HTML:
<div class="reactions-container" id="reactions-container"></div>
give that container a "display: none" to hide it initially. Hook up the area where the emoji will display with a onhover, and in the onhover, make the reactions container visible. Setup each of the emojis with an onclick, so that once a user clicks on it, it adds it to the display area
That sounds right. Now when you say it, I realized I can use existing like system, add tooltip for like, show additional emojis (whatever I click it counts as like) but it adds different emoji as a reaction. Hmmm. That seems as a good idea. I am sure it can work, it's just how good I can do it :D

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom