Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Mathematical

Silver Coder
[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Introduction[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Hey there, readers. I'd like to introduce you to the C Tutorial Series - A series in which I'll be teaching you the syntax of C and the concepts of the language and procedural-programming. You'll learn many new things in this series that can be transferred over to other languages, including:
  • Functions("Methods" in OOP)
  • Loops and control-flow statements
  • Getting and outputting user-input
  • Variables and data-types
And many, many other important programming-fundamentals that again, can be transferred over to any other language - C has been the building-block for all of today's languages, so every language will be nearly identical to C, albeit with their own identity and uniqueness.

Before you hop into learning C, I would only start if you have any prior programming-experience, preferably with a scripting-language like Lua or Python. As a recommendation, I also advise what can only be described as the "C Bible" - AKA: The C Programming-Language, 2nd Edition by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. It is the essential reference to the C language and the writers(One of whom, Dennis Ritchie, is the inventor of C), do an amazing job explaining C, the syntax, and what goes on underneath the hood. Read on for more information on why you'll need this book.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Writing[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Of course, I'll be the one who will be doing the writing. Throughout these tutorials, I aim to present new parts of C with the best possible explanation, while also trying to make it easy to understand. This unfortunately, presents the challenge of trying to make it understandable while also trying to go into detail, both of which cannot be achieved simultaneously. Hence why I recommended The C Programming-Language, 2nd Edition.

While the book is old(The first edition was released somewhere around in the 70s, the second edition was released in around 1985), they still hold up well due to how stable C has remained over the years. As I said, the writers go into great lengths and detail on explaining things, so if you do not understand something from one of my tutorials or you want more information one a certain part of C, use the book as a reference and have it handy at all times. You will not regret buying it once you become more proficient in C.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Schedule And Contents[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
There is no schedule for these tutorials. They will be released whenever I'm ready to release them. Expect one to be released every 5 - 9 days after the publication of a previous tutorial - It should be noted that there may be causes for delay so remember that this isn't exact, hence why I said they will be released whenever I'm ready.

Here's what I've got planned(Note: These will not be written and published in the order I've got them in):
  1. Printing, variables and data-types, and comments.
  2. Getting and outputting user-input.
  3. Loops - For-Loop, while-loop, and do-while loop. break will also be discussed.
  4. Control-Flow statements - If-else-statements, switches, and ternary-operators.
  5. Functions and header-files.
  6. Arrays
  7. Pointer basics - Only pointers and addresses, dereferencing pointers, using pointers in function-arguments, and using pointers and arrays will only be discussed. Allocating memory and function-pointers(These are different from pointer-arguments in functions), will not be covered as things get more complicated at these points.
  8. Structures and Unions.

"Side-Tutorials" will also be written and published. There won't be very many of them, but here's what's planned for these(Note: More of these be written in the future, but you'll have to do with what's due for these side-tutorials):
  1. Type-Conversions
  2. Scope

Unfortunately, I will not be getting into the more nitty-gritty and more complicated parts of C, such as working with files and allocating memory. I believe that these parts are best left self-taught from a book or from a university-course. Web-Tutorials simply will not do for these, due to their sheer complexity. And again, there is no exact schedule, other than my estimation of every 5 - 9 days - Which again, there may also be delays due to personal-issues on my end. So please, do remain patient on waiting for the next tutorial. When you are waiting for the next tutorial, I would recommend you use that time to brush-up on what you just learned and perhaps look more into your newly found knowledge. Remember: practice makes perfect.

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Published[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Here's a list of what's been published and due for publication:
  1. Tutorial 1: Printing, variables and data-types, and comments - Available now: https://www.codeforum.org/threads/t...riables-and-data-tyes-and-comments.976/unread
  2. Tutorial 2: Getting and outputting user-input - Due between 5th July 2020 - 7th July 2020
  3. Tutorial 3: Arrays(Single-Dimensional) - TBA
  4. (Check back for when new tutorials are due to be published).

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Feedback And Questions[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
If you have any issues or feedback you'd like to give or talk about, feel free to submit them to this thread. I enjoy receiving feedback on my work and your feedback will help with improving these tutorials. Also, all feedback will be applied to all tutorials, as so that they are all flawless. I'll even do a complete re-write of a tutorial if it means making it better to understand and comprehend.

Regarding questions, if you have any questions regarding C itself, ask them here on CF's C board. We'll all do our best to help you. But, if it is a question regarding these tutorials, ask them here instead and I'll gladly answer them. Do remember to follow CF's policies for asking questions, as can be read here in these threads:

Again, questions regarding C go here on their own, separate thread on the C board. Questions regarding these tutorials go here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Tutorial 1, has just been published. Go on and give it a read and start your journey as a C programmer. It's always handy to start learning another programming-language, as you never know when you might need it.

As always, if you have any feedback or criticism you'd like to give, feel free to give them to me. Again, I take all of my feedback into consideration and I'm always aiming to improve on what I can do better at.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom