Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

CSS The Front-End Tooling Survey 2018 - Results

This is a very interesting breakdown of developer preferences. Obviously it's from 2018, but perhaps that is more reliable than attempting a survey with 2019 not yet over. I love these kind of articles because it opens my eyes to libraries and tools that I have never used and/or heard of before.
It's no surprise that Bootstrap is still up there on the top, but it's a shame that Bulma is so low at less than 3%. I recently found out about Bulma from a post on CF and I found that it was very self explanatory and in my opinion, better than Bootstrap. Another surprise was seeing Materialize at only 2.6%. With all of the themes it's used in, I expected it to be much higher. However, I haven't really liked Materialize, so maybe other developers avoid it too.

One thing I do wonder though is how many people lied. It's possible that some developers want to appear better than they are, even if it was an anonymous survey (this is actually a common thing - people wanting to impress the person conducting the survey, even when done online)... It's interesting how many people say they do not use a framework. It makes me wonder if there should be considerations about what the developers are working on, or how much development they are doing. If a developer finishes the survey, but is only working one day per week, should their answers be equal to a developer working 6 days a week? All I am saying is that it would be really interesting to see the statistics broken down on a per-usage level instead of a per-developer statistic. So instead of seeing that 50% of developers said they lint their CSS, we could see a statistic along the lines of 29% of produced CSS is linted. I think that would be much more representative of framework and tool usage compared to having each developer's answers weighted equally.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom