Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Thoughts on Discourse?

Do you like Discourse?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Team
Code Plus
Company Plus
Hello coders!

I've been doing some playing around with a forum software called Discourse, have you heard of it? I honestly really like it, and might potentially use it in the near future. What are your thoughts on it and have you ever used it?

I originally wanted to use Discourse for Code Forum, thought it lacked features but I'm honestly thinking it may be good for CF.

What are you looking for in forum software? What does Discourse offer that XenForo doesn't?
Actually, Are you specifically looking at forum software? i don't know if the other types of content (contests, tutorials, projects) would work best in a forum.

Not really looking for anything, was just liking the look and how it's easy to use etc. Have you used it before?

The only forum software that I've worked with is SimpleMachinesForum(SMF). I've not worked with any other kind of software, including Discourse.

Although, to be honest, the software does look pretty good in my opinion. The UI is nice and clean which makes navigating through a forum easy. The only thing I don't like is the infinite amount of comments that can be displayed on one page. That's annoying and sort of ruins a forum for me.

As @Krusty the Senile said, what does Discourse offer that XenForo doesn't? It doesn't matter whether you're testing it out just for fun, what's more important is that you compare features between the two in the case that you are going to switch.

Discourse appears to not offer any add-ons made by single, freelance developers. Instead, they have "integrations", which are just services provided by companies like Microsoft and Google, that can make the forum seem more lively. That to me, also ruins a forum. You don't only want services provided by big companies as they won't all offer you the same thing made by a single developer, who's released his add-on for free, and relies on donations to keep updating it and making new ones, that might just potentially offer more than what a company provides.

What I like about Discord is it’s lack of features, it’s simple and clean not too confusing. I like how the main page is a continuous posting page but for this people whom don’t like that can view the categories instead.

The administrator panel seem very good as well however I find it does lack some customization if you’re not sure what to do.

What I want to do is scale back features, a lot of features that I feel like we don’t need. What I like about it is that with the continuous page it shows everything even from the categories.

I have it installed if anyone is interested in trying it out.

What I like about Discord is it’s lack of features, it’s simple and clean not too confusing. I like how the main page is a continuous posting page but for this people whom don’t like that can view the categories instead.

The administrator panel seem very good as well however I find it does lack some customization if you’re not sure what to do.

What I want to do is scale back features, a lot of features that I feel like we don’t need. What I like about it is that with the continuous page it shows everything even from the categories.

I have it installed if anyone is interested in trying it out.
Share the link.

Master Yoda said:
Ah, well it makes sense that Discourse would be a viable option for CF, if minimalism is your choice. I preferably, would rather stick to XenForo, as the abundance of plug-ins can come in handy in the case that you need something important or new to add, but Discourse doesn't offer.

But hey, you're the administrator, do what you like unless you choose to get the community involved.

NewsProject said:
Let’s experiment with Discourse, if the community likes it, we use discourse. If not, back to XF.
Provided that @Master Yoda keeps the Discourse software off of the main-site and keeps it on the testing-site, then
things can still go smoothly.

But then you have to take into consideration as to how we're going to transfer all of our data over to Discourse. I know that many pieces of forum-software offer converters for when you're switching over, but I'm not sure about if Discourse offers one, and how all of our data would transfer over. I say this as Discourse is a huge step away from traditional forums(In my opinion anyway), and that depending on what database software CF runs on(MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.), Discourse may or may not support that database software.

And if the community doesn't like Discourse, then how will CF get back to XenForo? That will just be as much of a bumpy ride, having to transfer the data over again to another piece of software. And the thing is, if data keeps on getting exported and transferred, the chances of database issues increases. So, we need to be on the look out for data-leaks and server-crashes, in the event that we do transfer over.

Keep it on a testing site. Good idea.
As if that wasn't obvious. Not everybody will like Discourse if the site was automatically transferred over to it, without user-opinions.

Anyway, I'd like to take this thread back to what @Master Yoda was asking and that is asking for people's opinions on Discourse. I feel a heated atmosphere building-up here. Others may not feel the same but I feel it.

Please keep in mind that this thread was merely for curiosity to see what you thought about Discourse. At the moment I do not have plans to move Code Forum to it.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom