Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Unicode question

Siim518

Active Coder
I have a form on my website (Wordpress site) that has a language what has special characters inside like "öäõü" (Its Estonian language) and they are displayed as question marks inside sentence "?" How could i fix this? Should i change the unicode in mysql from UTF-8 to something else? Or is there somekinda other way to fix this?

Hello Siim518!

UTF-8 should be able to represent pretty much any character you can think of. Have you set the charset of the HTML document to UTF-8?

Basically, do you have the following element in the <head> of your document?:
HTML:
<meta charset="utf-8">

I just realised you said "Wordpress" website. Is the website configured in UTF-8? Are you using a custom font? Maybe it could be that the font does not contain those characters?

My website is here: https://demo.midnightanimation.ee/broneeri/ weekdays are all messed up "Esmasp�ev, Teisip�ev, Teisip�ev) and etc. I checked wp-config.php and there is this default charset at the moment "
/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define( 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8' );" i guess its okei and here is a screenshot from MySQL db:
The custom font feature is empty, it uses some default font what name i dont know, is there any way to find out what might cause this problem?
Only place where letters "äöõü" are missing is that calendar plugin. And in that db pictures i think the plugin tables are wp_booking...

Attachments

• chars.jpg
    chars.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes, the database picture seems to be correct also? utf8mb_unicode_ci is a better choice for those tables? I see some tables are utf8_general_ci, i guess they all good this way?

Somehow i got it fixed now, i translated the index.php and also language .po and .mo files to my language and forced it to be as i wanted and now it worked, i dont know if the other languages will match perfectly tho, but most of my clients will use Estonian languge anyways :D

There is still one place i cant find in files where to change it, mayby anyone can help me, its when you click on a day in the calendar and it shows a weekday (17 Kolmap�ev -), that one place is still bugged. I would like to know what file it is located in and code line number. Link: https://demo.midnightanimation.ee/broneeri/ i also added a screenshot and underlined it. :blush:

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom