Administrator
Administrator
Jan 2, 2018
Canada
codeforum.org
Malcolm submitted a new project:

WebWareBox - Software-Distribution Website

WebWareBox
WebWareBox is a Software-Distribution Website that was created by @Code_Block and was open-sourced under CodeForum.ORG

About
WebWareBox is a Software-Distribution Website that was created by Code-Block/Code_Block. The Site lets Users upload any Programs onto the Site. These Programs will first go through a Submission-Process. After the Submission-Process, the Program will either be allowed access onto the Site or...
Read more about this project...

Last edited:
Reactions: TableFlipGod

Ghost

Active Coder
Apr 19, 2019
Great, great news!
I am going to play around with it now :)

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
I think this could be risky to be honest
To be honest, I can see why you may think that.

WebWareBox is both a Website and Open-Source. I don't think there ever has been an Open-Source Website before and WebWareBox could be the first. But the thing is, somebody could contribute some JavaScript or PHP code that could be harmful. Now since it's Open-Source, it can easily be removed. But yet, it can be added back in again.

This could create Issues as the Project grows.

I have thought about one Idea and it's making WebWareBox a piece of Software(Like SimpleMachinesForum for example). The User installs the Software and adds the Files to their Web-Server. Then they can also add Themes and Modifications to expand their Site which runs on the WebWareBox Software. Just an Idea. Who knows, WebWareBox could convert to a piece of Software in the Future but right now, it's an Open-Source Website. And as you said, it could be risky.
If you click on the link you will get to the following page:
View attachment 115
I clicked on the Link and ran into the same problem. @Malcolm, you may want to fix that.

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Jan 2, 2018
Canada
codeforum.org
If you click on the link you will get to the following page:
View attachment 115
I clicked on the Link and ran into the same problem. @Malcolm, you may want to fix that.
Links have been updated. Thanks!

I think this could be risky to be honest
To be honest, I can see why you may think that.

WebWareBox is both a Website and Open-Source. I don't think there ever has been an Open-Source Website before and WebWareBox could be the first. But the thing is, somebody could contribute some JavaScript or PHP code that could be harmful. Now since it's Open-Source, it can easily be removed. But yet, it can be added back in again.
I was thinking that when we get to the point of having the community contribute we will have different branches so that they are directly editing the main branch. And once we verify that code goes along with guidelines, doesn't break anything and isn't harmful, we can publish onto the main branch.

Reactions: OscarDeer

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
Well, that could be a good use for the Branches. But the thing is, we'll need to inspect the Code very carefully. You never know. There could be danger in what looks like a normal piece of code but in reality, it isn't a normal piece of code.

1 comments
Reactions: Malcolm

Malcolm

Administrator
Administrator
Jan 2, 2018
Canada
codeforum.org
Of course, that's why the branch would technically available to anyone to go over and if they spot something that we didn't see then we'd be able to put a halt on it before it goes onto main branch.

1 comments

Weboogle

Active Coder
Apr 13, 2019
Any updates?

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
There isn't much to report on just now. Yes, there hasn't been any Updates to its Repository in the past 2 weeks or so. But what I can confirm is that the Project is still active and being developed.

There is something related to the Project being worked on behind the scenes just now. I'll reveal it once it's ready.

Reactions: Ghost

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
oh i the most likely thing malware wed need top level security even then thats a risk
Right, so Viruses, Malware, Worms and Trojans getting onto any of the Sites that run the Software. I do have to agree that it's a risk and that's it's a major Security-Concern. Now, since the Project is Open-Source, anybody who has experience with Security can easily create some sort of System that moderates things. Although, I'm not entirely sure how we would go around doing that.

Security will be a focus once we're done with the Re-Write and when we get onto adding Features to the Software. Making sure the Software is Secure is up to the Contributors/Maintainers of the Project. It will always be a top Priority, especially since it's a piece of Software that let's User-Created-Software onto a Site running WebWareBox. If a Malicious-Program does get onto a Site running WebWareBox, we will of course continue to improve Security but it will be the Site's Owner's Responsibilty to remove any Malicious-Programs from their own Site. Although, I cannot confirm that we will have an Automated-System to prevent and delete any Malicious-Programs.

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
Hey there.

If you've got any Questions regarding the Project or want to know how to Contribute then just ask. I'll try my best to Answer your Questions.

Ghost

Active Coder
Apr 19, 2019
oh i the most likely thing malware wed need top level security even then thats a risk
YEs, there will need to be code reviews on submissions, multiple scans, and testing.

ForwardWeb - Branden

Coder
Contributor
Oct 8, 2018
Canada
where would such a platform be hosted ?

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
Again, you need to further explain this. If you do not provide enough Detail on what you mean, then I can't help you until you do. Giving a much more In-Depth Explanation, can help me respond to your Answer without having to assume what you mean.

Please do keep this in mind for any Future Questions or things you'll say that will involve an explanation.

Ghost

Active Coder
Apr 19, 2019
A standard Linux or windows server like shared hosting, VPS, dedicated, etc.

ForwardWeb - Branden

Coder
Contributor
Oct 8, 2018
Canada
1. how will you wnsure the risk of compromise is mitigated as much as possible
2. where would this project be hosted a distribution site needs alot of resources

Last edited:

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
1. how will you wnsure the risk of compromise is mitigated as much as possible
2. where would this project be hosted a distubtion aite neesa alot of resources
We aren't too sure at the moment as we've mainly been focusing on the Layout, Design and currently the Re-Write. Once we're done with the Re-Write, we'll be focusing on the Features and Security. Although, we can't confirm if the Security-Systems will be enough to stop dangerous Programs and you may have to rely upon Modifications until we can get much more Advanced Security. Even then, we can't even confirm if Modifications will help.

As for where the Project will be hosted, that's up to the Site Owner as we're going to be converting WebWareBox to Downloadable- Software(Kind of like Forum-Software). The Site-Owner will of course, need to create the Databases to store any Site-Info.

And now, I'm not trying to be rude here but please do fix your English as it's incredibly broken and sometimes it can be hard to understand what you're saying.

ForwardWeb - Branden

Coder
Contributor
Oct 8, 2018
Canada
My English is fine I do however type fast @OscarDeer if you think I can help in any way let me know we do offer enterprise grade hosting in Dallas and Singapore though i try not to advertise to much what little information i do post is approved by Malcolm :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost

OscarDeer

Active Coder
May 24, 2019
github.com
Ah right, okay. It's just due to the broken English in some of the words. I myself type fast but it doesn't end up coming out with errors. Make sure you do a Spell-Check before posting.

Hosting is again, something that's dealt with by the Site Owner. The Website in which WebWareBox is downloaded from is Hosted using GitHub Pages.

If you have Programming-Experience it would be appreciated if you could help with
Development on GitHub. Although, with the Re-Write going on, we'd prefer not to have anyone else Contribute just yet until we're ready.

Ghost

Active Coder
Apr 19, 2019
Evreyone has smoe tpyos form tmie to tmie but the biran can usncarmble wrods esaliy.

A hosting "cage" can be used to make sure no uploaded files can affect other parts of the same site/server.