Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

What’s Lua?

• Thread starter Deleted member 65
  • Start date
Lua is a Scripting-Language created in 1993 by Roberto Ierusalimschy.

It was implemented using ANSI C and the Language can be implemented into C/C++ Code. Lua wasn't released publicly until the Release of Lua 1.1. Prior to 5.0, Lua came under the BSD License but has since, switched to the MIT License. The Language is designed to be light-weight so it can run pretty much anywhere. As stated, you can embed Lua into pretty much anything.

Lua is primarily used for Video Games and Modding. Some examples of Lua is the Kids-Game, ROBLOX using a modified Version of Lua. Another is GMod which lets you create Mods using Lua.

You can read up more about Lua, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)
The official Lua Website is here: https://lua.org

Yeah Lua is very common in video games like Dan said. World of Warcraft uses Lua for their interface, so addons can be created for the game quite easily. I have not yet learned any Lua, but am definitely interested in it :)

World Of Warcraft is another good example of Lua being used for a Video Game.

Lua is quite easy to learn. It's Syntax is almost identical to that of other Languages. So, you should be able to pick it up quite fast. I myself know a bit about Lua but that was through ROBLOX when I used to play it and when I was into Game-Development. I'm actually thinking about continuing to learn the Language.

Yip. Lua is commonly used in Video Games as it's light-weight, easy to implement and just speeds up Development.

A lot of Game-Engines and APIs that are available use Lua as the Language for Programming Video Games. For APIs, Love2D is a popular Lua API for Video Games. It can be used to create 2D Games using only Lua. And if I can remember, both Cry-Engine and Source also use Lua for making Games.

You definitely should look into it as it's something that's worth looking into if you want to make Games. Especially if you want to make a Game using something that's light-weight.

And of course, Lua isn't just used for Games. It's used for Software, IDEs(ZeroBrane Studio), Apps and much more.

Right on! I currently only have experience in Unity3D, I'm currently working on a 2d game, but wouldn't mind checking out other alleys. Thank you so much for all the information! XD
You're welcome for the Info. And how good are you with Unity3D? I'd say I'm decent at it as I used it when I was into Game-Development but that's no longer the case. But yeah, you should check out Lua and how to use it for Games(That is, if you want to get into Game-Development).

It's hard for me to tell if I'm like pro but so far just look up the documentation and code what I need for a game. I would say I am decent. I released a game way back in 2015 for android, and it did horrible haha. Most if anything I just wanted to prove to myself that I would be able to produce a game by myself, so I did an arcade game with 25 levels. No one liked the controls so reviews were harshe lol. I do it as a hobby I have about 10 unfinished projects in my library. One project I am currently working with a co-worker who does graphics, i'll definitely post once we release. I might write up some tutorials on coding in Unity or something for this site, if I get a chance. Here's a quick video of the game I released back in 2015 >> Game Trailer LOL . I definitely enjoy game development and will further research Lua. If I create anything using Lua, I'll definitely post it here.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom