Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What Linux-Distro Do You Think Would Suit Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan-Kode

So, at the moment, I'm quite interested in getting into Linux. At first I will try it to see if it suits me(That is, if it can run on my Hardware and nothing goes wrong when trying whatever Distro).

So when I say: "Linux-Distro Do You Think Would Suit Me", I'm just referring to what Distro would work best for me depending on what I do on Windows.

So here's what I usually do on Windows:
  • Programming
  • Internet
  • Work(MS Word, MS Powerpoint)
  • (A bit) of Gaming
  • Creating and Editing Images(Paint.net, GIMP)
That's really all I do on my Computer. So what I'd prefer is a Linux-Distro that would be best suited for (Most) of those Tasks. I'm looking for probably Ubuntu or Mint seeing as this will also be my first time using Linux.

As you are starting out Ubuntu or Mint(which is based on Ubuntu) is a greate choice since they are pretty easy to use for starters and most programms you can think of as easily aviable. Regarding MS office, this isn't aviable in Linux but there are two good alternatives with Libre/Open Office.

At first I will try it to see if it suits me(That is, if it can run on my Hardware and nothing goes wrong when trying whatever Distro).
Every normal distro should run on harware that windows is able to run on and as I mentioned in my post regarding you notebook you can try it with live version or a dual boot setup. If you PC supports virtualisation I can also recommend on using a vm.

(A bit) of Gaming
Most times graphics drivers are the haredest thing to install but many every ubuntu derivations should have them for any major card. A surprisingly large amount of steam games is also aviable on linux.

I personally like POP!_OS very much, as it's mostly like a normal ubuntu with some nice twerks and has a version including nvidia drivers.

As you are starting out Ubuntu or Mint(which is based on Ubuntu) is a greate choice since they are pretty easy to use for starters and most programms you can think of as easily aviable. Regarding MS office, this isn't aviable in Linux but there are two good alternatives with Libre/Open Office.

Every normal distro should run on harware that windows is able to run on and as I mentioned in my post regarding you notebook you can try it with live version or a dual boot setup. If you PC supports virtualisation I can also recommend on using a vm.

Most times graphics drivers are the haredest thing to install but many every ubuntu derivations should have them for any major card. A surprisingly large amount of steam games is also aviable on linux.

I personally like POP!_OS very much, as it's mostly like a normal ubuntu with some nice twerks and has a version including nvidia drivers.
Wow! Thanks for a lot of your help with me and Linux so far. I do appreciate it.

I do plan on starting with Ubuntu or Mint and then once I've settled into Linux then I'll move onto different Distros such as Fedora and Debian. I do know that MS Office is not available on Linux which is ashame. I have heard of Libre and Open Office so I'll be sure to use them.

I have seen your Posts in my Thread about Linux being able to run on my Laptop so I may do the "Try [Distro]" Option or I'll see about Dual-Booting.

I have heard about Graphics-Drivers being hard to install on Linux. I do also know about Steam Games on Linux. Luckily enough, I do play a couple of Games on Windows that are compatible with Linux.

I have recently being seeing and hearing a lot about Pop_OS on Youtube at the moment but it's a Distro that I don't have my eyes on just now.

Well, yeah there is Wine. Although, once I do get Linux, I don't plan to use Wine straight away. I might use it from time to time but we'll see.

I do also know about Steam Games on Linux. Luckily enough, I do play a couple of Games on Windows that are compatible with Linux.

Don't know if you've heard about this but many windows-only games run reasonably well on Linux these days,
since Steam on Linux is now shipping with "Proton" - a Wine fork by Valve optimized for games.

I did hear about Proton but never knew that it was made by Valve or that the Linux Version of Steam was shipping with it. I also never knew that a lot of Windows Games run well on Linux now. Although I don't do that much Gaming on my Laptop, I do play Games like GMod so that will be handy for me.

Hey. I've just installed Ubuntu on my Laptop.

I would like to thank everybody who helped with the Distro and for telling me Alternatives to some Software(Like MS Office)

@Malcolm, you can close this Thread now.

As you already installed Ubuntu, good luck with it. Here is my input.

I strongly recommend Manjaro OS because of following reasons;
  • Great UI/UX and its good for users coming from Windows
  • You can do programming (use visual code)
  • Vast availability of Softwares (no need of command line installation)
  • Support of Package Manager (with one click install of any software you need)
  • Based on Arch Linux
  • Pre-install Steam - you can play games easily
Give a try to Manjaro, I am 100% sure you will love it.

Thank you.

I have heard of Manjaro and when I did watch Vidoes on what were the best Distros, this one did come up. I don't plan to have Manjaro as my future Distro though.

As I said, I don't plan on using it anytime soon. I'm just not interested in using it, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom