Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What sparked your interest in code/design/development

Just knowing that I'm creating something from practically nothing and then using it to help or be part of everyone's lives.

Same as @Malcolm here tbh. The fact that you are making it from nothing is what intrigues me about it. Personally I've been fooling around with web development since I was a teenager but recently about 5 years ago I decided to try and learn again and ended up getting very good at designing web pages which I now can say is very easy for me to do. It's enjoyable to say the least. Recently I've been learning to create forum add-ons for Xenforo 2 and it's quite an interesting concept

Same as @Malcolm here tbh. The fact that you are making it from nothing is what intrigues me about it. Personally I've been fooling around with web development since I was a teenager but recently about 5 years ago I decided to try and learn again and ended up getting very good at designing web pages which I now can say is very easy for me to do. It's enjoyable to say the least. Recently I've been learning to create forum add-ons for Xenforo 2 and it's quite an interesting concept
Awesome! Great to see another person like me :) I'm also looking to create some XenForo Add-ons, perhaps we can colab some day.

I hope everyone posts there stories ")
Me ttoo! :)

Awesome! Great to see another person like me :) I'm also looking to create some XenForo Add-ons, perhaps we can colab some day.

Me ttoo! :)

Yes I've learnt the best way is to read the code under /src folder and load it into your IDE. Everything in the folder was meant for add-ons. When you read the source code you learn a ton more than if you were to supposedly try to open up a text editor and code from scratch. I still recommend phpstorm for learning purposes. Sublime I have myself and even paid for it but its hard to learn when you don't have advanced error checking and the ability to see what functions are available. It's not even about debugging though thats a neat feature too. It's good for html and css as well. Has support for node.js and javascript and any language you can practically think of even the css preprocessors

It's actually what the Xenforo devs use as per the XF 2 dev docs

Yes I've learnt the best way is to read the code under /src folder and load it into your IDE. Everything in the folder was meant for add-ons. When you read the source code you learn a ton more than if you were to supposedly try to open up a text editor and code from scratch. I still recommend phpstorm for learning purposes. Sublime I have myself and even paid for it but its hard to learn when you don't have advanced error checking and the ability to see what functions are available. It's not even about debugging though thats a neat feature too. It's good for html and css as well. Has support for node.js and javascript and any language you can practically think of even the css preprocessors

It's actually what the Xenforo devs use as per the XF 2 dev docs
Oh awesome I'll keep that in mind. I tried making an add-on from the XenForo 2 manual when XF2 came out as beta. I was coding via cPanel file manager which was very challenging and is why I gave up lol. What's PHPStorm? Haven't heard of it before, that's an IDE? I have the paid version for Sublime too, haven't really used it to much lately though. Do you ever use Visual Studio, does compare to PHPStorm?

Oh awesome I'll keep that in mind. I tried making an add-on from the XenForo 2 manual when XF2 came out as beta. I was coding via cPanel file manager which was very challenging and is why I gave up lol. What's PHPStorm? Haven't heard of it before, that's an IDE? I have the paid version for Sublime too, haven't really used it to much lately though. Do you ever use Visual Studio, does compare to PHPStorm?

Wow you really got to check it out. I would have never learned to code without it. This actually adds value to this thread to so I'm going to post the link -> https://www.jetbrains.com

You can get a 30 day free trial. If you are in school or college you get all their IDEs absolutely free with proof of a .edu email address. And I very much so recommend trying it out. The features are beyond words. Yes text editors are good but like you said with using the cpanel file manager it is a whole different ball park and MUCH more challenging. You learn how to code from using these tools. It's the easiest way for anyone to learn.

Also I assume you mean VS code. I have VS code but it's not nearly as good. The developer docs actually state that the creators use phpstorm. It says it in the first part where it talks about integrating a development environment. If you meant the actual visual studio I have that too but don't use it right now because I have CLion which is the one for C++ by the same people who made phpstorm.

This is a fantastic topic. I actually got interested in code when I was younger and people as young as teens were launching all sorts of internet forums. Before long I was downloading MyBB and learning how to upload website files to a host. I started with shared hosting before I ever rented a VPS. I remember using 000webhost as my first service! It was tinkering with MyBB forums that got me interested in coding and entering the development space. I don't consider myself a pro and I still have a hard time coding but I still learn more every day.

I went to this church and the guy I hung around with into that stuff. It was around 2000. Also, around that time, I had bought a "website store in a box" scam - lol. O.K. it was a scam but fun and a learning experience.

I went to this church and the guy I hung around with into that stuff. It was around 2000. Also, around that time, I had bought a "website store in a box" scam - lol. O.K. it was a scam but fun and a learning experience.

Haha, it's so funny how many mistakes and lessons new admins have to learn from! How far along have you gone into development these days? Did you pursue coding?

It all began on ROBLOX.

When I began making Games on ROBLOX, I had made Games using Free-Models(Something that you should never do unless it's a Placeholder). I uploaded a Video of a Free-Modelled Game and somebody told me on the Comments to: "Learn how to build a Game".

And so, I began learning how to build. I'm sure I still used Free-Models but of course, I was learning how to build things like First-Aid Kits and Houses. Then I stumbled upon a Scripting Tutorial by ROBLOX themselves. I followed through the whole Video and was amazed at what I did. I then continued to learn RBLXLua(ROBLOX's Version of Lua). I then began developing an Interest in making Video Games and so from that point on, I continued learning how to Code.

Haha, it's so funny how many mistakes and lessons new admins have to learn from! How far along have you gone into development these days? Did you pursue coding?

I tried coding first and made some decent grades at a community college - along with self-study. However, I lost interest and later got into web development, what I do now.

Everything started with Minecraft... like 7 years ago

I played this game so much and I was fascinated how all the mods and plugins are working. I got myself a Java book(pretty hard to explain you parents, that you want a 50€ coding book when you are 13) and started learning and writing plugins. It got pretty addictive, spending a huge amount of time to learn about various subjects. At the moment I'm studying computer science at university.

My interest in websites started many years ago (I think it was 2007) when I played CSS and wanted to create a website for my clan.
The homepage kits at that time were more than horrible so you have to do it yourself.
So I set up my first webSPELL site and started to tinker there. Since then it has not stopped and currently I write add-on's for XenForo what I like very much.

Just computers and websites really. Got my first laptop when I was quite young. It was one of those toy ones but it was quite advanced. It had a word processing program and had quite a few different educational games as well.

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom