Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

When you're changing career paths.

Hello all,

I am looking to change career paths into the tech world. My current career has taken too much of a toll on the body I'm out of work due to an injury for the second time in 2 years.

During this last leave of absence, I really focused on my passion for tech, and have used this time away as an opportunity to reinvent myself.

I'm interested in Front-End Dev, but I don't mind paying my dues so to speak, I'm just eager to begin this journey.

I've been utilizing various resources to learn and grow my abilities, in doing so I've gained experience in HTML, CSS, Python, and a little of ROR, however I haven't gone the route of

the coding bootcamp (not trying to spend that amount of money). Any of you all that are in this field and through the knowledge you have. What would be the best course of action

in order to achieve this goal.

I appreciate all assistance,

Respectfully,
Brandon

Hey Brandon, so my first question is why? This may sound like a open ended question but you need to ask your self, what is the end goal. What do i want to do. Do i want to build programs, robot systems, weather machines but still be able to built scrapers and autonomous scripts then python would be great. The path i am currently taking.

Do you enjoy graphics, GUI, Front end then i would say HTML,CSS,JAVA,JQUERY, that's where i started :D

Do you enjoy databases, scrapers, email marketing things that happen in the background then PHP,SQL would be a way to go.

When i started, there was a need for websites so i did websites, 10 years later i hate websites, but i love python and the best way to learn is to throw your self into something and ask for help. I am a year into my first ever python project, people called me crazy but i did it, it works and i have learned so so much. My point is, sit down write a list of what you want to do, what you want to achieve them chose a language that fulfills them all :D

Hey Brandon, so my first question is why? This may sound like a open ended question but you need to ask your self, what is the end goal. What do i want to do. Do i want to build programs, robot systems, weather machines but still be able to built scrapers and autonomous scripts then python would be great. The path i am currently taking.

Do you enjoy graphics, GUI, Front end then i would say HTML,CSS,JAVA,JQUERY, that's where i started :D

Do you enjoy databases, scrapers, email marketing things that happen in the background then PHP,SQL would be a way to go.

When i started, there was a need for websites so i did websites, 10 years later i hate websites, but i love python and the best way to learn is to throw your self into something and ask for help. I am a year into my first ever python project, people called me crazy but i did it, it works and i have learned so so much. My point is, sit down write a list of what you want to do, what you want to achieve them chose a language that fulfills them all :D
simong1993,

I appreciate the time you took in order to give me that great advice. It really made something clear for me and the direction that I need to go. My why, is first I've always found the tech sector fascinating, ever since I took my first programming class in middle school. That fascination and passion to build and create has never left. Like I said this time away from my current career has done nothing but fuel it even more to the point that I'm actively pursuing it on a deeper level.

Plus I want a career that I can use and challenge my mind and skill on a daily basis as opposed to running my body into the ground.

Front end, is what I've been on for the majority of my time right now, but is not all that I want to have in the tool belt so to speak.

Again thank you for everything.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom