Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hey there :)

sn0w

Active Coder
I've been mostly lurking for the past week and thought a little intro might be overdue.

Hey :D
People call me sn0w on the internet.
I'm a 21 year old developer from europe who enjoys low-level code and high performance.
I started coding during 3rd grade when my friend showed me an awesome book about C# and VS 2005 that his dad bought him.
A lot of stuff has happened since then, and I eventually ended up writing C++ for a living.

You'll likely see me a lot in the C/C++, Linux, and "Other Languages" sections.
I love to help people, but I also hope to learn some new things here.

Something that I'm currently very interested in is VM- and compiler-design.
If any of you knows a thing or two about this, please let me know :whistle:

I'm sure that we'll have a good time together.
See you around o/

Hey there, Welcome to Code Forum! :)

What are some of your major accomplishments that involved C++?

What are some of your major accomplishments that involved C++?

I think one of my most interesting C++ projects happened last year at work.
I can't go into too much detail but we basically searched a solution for watching huge amounts of files and folders in a very performant way.
We needed realtime information about all file/folder creations, deletions, renames, and content modifications in a given (deeply nested) folder.
All of this needed to be available without any noticeable disk- or CPU-overhead.

The Linux kernel does ship with tools like inotify(7) or fanotify(7), but those were too limited in features and/or performance for our usecase.
Eventually we discovered the Linux Auditing System (https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/) which was promising.
It's a Linux kernel module that allows you to get notified when syscalls occur, like open(2), write(2), renameat(2), ...

My job was to dig through libaudit's (barely documented) internals and C APIs,
and eventually write a daemon that collects and analyzes all this information to notify us about the mentioned file/folder events.

nice to see a coder who is coding from 3rd grade.

Hope you will share your learning with others in order to share your experience.

Hay @sn0w welcome on board!

Can you suggest me online resources (video course or a beginners book) for a subject Computer Architecture and Assembly Language?
One of my friend need to study it for University.

Thank you and keep participating in talks here :)

Intel has a neat PDF called "Introduction to x64 Assembly" over at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/introduction-to-x64-assembly/, but that's only 13 pages long so I don't think it's enough to use it as learning material for university courses. I could look through some of my old Humble Book bundles, and see if I can find some relevant ebooks in there. I think they included something about assembly at some point. You can add me on Discord if you want them. I'm FADED#0001.

I'm a 21 year old developer from europe
I started coding during 3rd grade
I eventually ended up writing C++ for a living.
Something that I'm currently very interested in is VM- and compiler-design.
If any of you knows a thing or two about this, please let me know :whistle:

I condensed your post in my quote just to make it a bit easier to read!
First off, welcome to CodeForum! I have already come across a great reply of yours this morning, so I hope to see some more soon. I've got some questions for ya!
I used to live in England for my middle school days, and was fortunate enough to travel around a lot. Which part of Europe are you in?
I'm definitely jealous of your abilities with C++ and other difficult languages for operating systems. I have stuck with the web languages for the most part, and have kept my software programming limited to wrappers with Python & JS (Electron) / Node.js, and Java.

I don't know too much about VM/Compiler design, but I could ask my business partner at my company if you have any specific questions. He's a great guy & extremely knowledgeable when it comes to that.

See you around! Welcome again :)

First off, welcome to CodeForum!

Which part of Europe are you in?

I live in germany.

I have stuck with the web languages for the most part, and have kept my software programming limited to wrappers with Python & JS (Electron) / Node.js, and Java.

Oh that's neat too.
I actually had my apprenticeship at a web agency and did a lot of PHP backend development there,
but in the end it wasn't really my cup of tea. ^^

Last edited:
I live in western germany.

Oh that's neat too.
I actually had my apprenticeship at a web agency and did a lot of PHP backend development there,
but in the end it wasn't really my cup of tea. ^^
Hallo, gutentag! .... oder gutenmorgen?
I don't speak much German, but I do remember some!
Ich mag programmierung! (had to google "programming" translation)

Do you speak German? I made the assumption you do...
PHP backend development can get annoying. Now I really only enjoy it when I am doing complicated work like creating an extremely dynamic system. I am absolutely bored of connecting to a database & returning JSON results though... :)

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom