Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Feedback How We Could Boost Activity Here At CF.org - Discussion Thread

Tealk said:
I just mean that there are improvements that are hardly needed; there are many good add-ons that could be integrated, see the free add-ons from Xon
Well, if that's what you think then fair enough. Some new additions such as the PWA, are also hardly needed in my eyes. And I do agree that the new profile-customization features are also not needed, but I'm not too bothered about that. I think really the SEO improvements, text-editor improvements, and maybe, just maybe the ability for guests to write(Although, that feature is technically useless as you still need to sign-up).

I did search-up the add-ons from Xon, but I'm not sure which ones could benefit CF. Perhaps point me to some?
Tealk said:
I think this will be very useful here
I couldn't agree more. I actually liked the old Q&A system that CF had in place where instead of just marking one solution, you got to up-vote or down-vote solutions instead. Although of course, that kind of system also leaves it vulnerable to being rigged by people who dislike the person who posted the solution or don't agree with them. So, we'll have to see how this system goes.

Tealk said:
its add-ons are more for the administration than for the frontend. this makes the work of @Master Yoda easier, as well as the moderators
Hm. Well even then, there's no doubt that if it benefits the administrators, then it more than likely will benefit the users too. Of course, not all add-ons are like this.

Tealk said:
as far as I have read you can set this if you want it with or without voting
I never actually seen this mentioned. But either way, that's good to know. That means that if the voting-system starts being rigged for certain posters, the voting-system can be disabled and we can go back to our current system.

The light theme has been temporarily put on the back-burner due to my time constraints. But I wouldn't mind if someone would post a thread in Community Hub about suggestions for the light theme.
I have done work on a light theme, you can see this by selecting the theme selector and clicking 'Default Style'. However work is still being done on this theme.

Affiliate-Buttons - This will be a small button with the CF logo on it and people can copy a simple HTML snippet that will display this button. The button can be used by sites that are currently partnering with CF at the moment or it can be used on the websites of CF projects. The good thing about buttons, is that they aren't right up in the user's face and so the user will need to take a glimpse at it and click it, just to see if the site may interest them. Affiliate-Buttons will cost nothing to make and are a cheap and easy way to gather site interest.
How does this look?

[CODE title="BBCode"][/CODE]
Advertising - Advertising is a method that we can't be sure of. Primarily because of how expensive it is for different types of ads(Banners, squares, etc.) and due to the rise of ad-blockers, NoScript, and uBlock Origin, these ads will be blocked from the user, which will interfere with the growth of the site. Although, it is generally worth a shot, you're essentially betting heads or tails on this one, and are hoping for the coin to land on whichever one you picked - The one you picked being the positive outcome. As stated, it is expensive and may not even be worth it.
While we still have ads with YouTube, Facebook, Google Adsense and Discord (Word of mouth) I still have this on hold until we can get more activity. Our activity has improved, I'll be starting to promote Code Forum once again within the next couple of days.
CF projects - By launching new projects, we won't just gather the interest of CF users, but also outsiders and people unaware of CF's existence. Of course, the projects we launch must have a purpose, use, and goal in mind, for it to gather interest. Official projects could also be launched with their own sub-board somewhere here on CF, which can encourage people who haven't signed-up for CF but yet contribute to the projects, to actually sign-up and get involved in not only the project and it's discussions, but perhaps the site itself. Beware though, that killing off a project, may take away people who only signed-up for CF, just for that project.
I am still very interested in having projects. However, I still believe we aren't big enough yet to follow through with this as I don't believe we have enough interest. I do have many plans for this, such as web/game development, developing pages for Code Forum etc. We need to get a handful of coders who enjoy coding and enjoy being on community forums.
Word of mouth - Despite being a method already encouraged alongside being another free and easy way to gather new users, we may have to advocate more for this method if none of the other methods above are currently being pursued or are doing well enough. Note that we also won't know how well this method works, unless people actually state that they found out about CF by word of mouth from another user of the site.
Word of mouth is our best advertising solution. It's how Code Forum got most of its coders from. I spent many hours going through Discord servers asking owners and members if they wanted to join. I believe creating that personal connection with that potential coder increases the chance of getting them to register. I still believe this is our best option to continue to grow our community. And, once again I encourage you, and everyone else to talk to people, get them to join - However respect server rules, don't push them. If they don't want to join that's fine.
Expanding the site - What I mean by this, is that we add more boards based on the current interests in programming-languages, frameworks/libraries/APIs, careers(Web-Development, game-development, etc.), and also different pieces of software(E.g. Discussions surrounding free-software). If we can expand how many boards the site has based on what the current trends are, we could perhaps boost our ranking in search-engines, which can lead to more visits, which will then maybe gather the interest of users who will then perhaps sign-up for an account. Expanding boards will also keep current users involved, thus' keeping site-activity on a steady stream of posts being written, rather than having fluctuating post-counts.
I believe we had this discussion already, but can't remember where.. Code Forum will not base its Forum layout based on trends, it needs to be based of coder demand, the community. E.g. I could add R, but maybe no one on Code Forum knows R? This will create a lot of empty boards and I will continue to stand by my current system of adding forums. With this said, I plan on re-working the forum layout, I wanted to add sections regarding Computer Science as I think this would be an important section to have.

Having users release more tutorials - Many people online are digging for tutorials on how to use classes in Java, how to write an iOS app, how to connect databases together, stuff like that. If we can get the CF community to band together to start writing more tutorials, this will increase search-engine rankings for the site because as I stated, people are constantly looking for tutorials online on how to do things. Note that we can't just restrain this to programming-languages. We'll also need tutorials on other things like frameworks(E.g. Python Flask - A popular Python web-framework), text-editors or IDEs(E.g. GNU EMACS or IntelliJ), and even for things like operating-systems too. Another thing to note, is that tutorials will also have varying levels of quality, some good and some bad. To tell users that a tutorial is "high-quality" - So, well written, explains things well, etc. - Perhaps giving certain users who provide well-written tutorials, a special role/badge, to let regular users know that this person is an established writer who writes good tutorials for CF, and can stop people from claiming to be "established writers" for CF.
I agree with this, I think we need a lot more tutorials and guides to try to encourage viewers to join a participate. However, I can't force coders to post tutorials. And as for my tutorials, I'm still working on getting tutorials out and hopefully will have some of them out soon. With that said, @Mathematical you are great writing tutorials, I encourage you to write more tutorials as well. But try to avoid the wall of texts :D

Placing more emphasis on the Project Marketplace and the Community Showcase
I'll work on ways that we can improve on this!

How does this look?

Yeah. That should definitely work.

While we still have ads with YouTube, Facebook, Google Adsense and Discord (Word of mouth) I still have this on hold until we can get more activity. Our activity has improved, I'll be starting to promote Code Forum once again within the next couple of days.

Glad to hear that you're still working to promote the site. I do agree that activity has improved a bit over the past few weeks, so we might be seeing more and more later this year.

I am still very interested in having projects. However, I still believe we aren't big enough yet to follow through with this as I don't believe we have enough interest. I do have many plans for this, such as web/game development, developing pages for Code Forum etc. We need to get a handful of coders who enjoy coding and enjoy being on community forums.

I think everyone is wanting a project to work on, but as you said, we do still need to put them on hold until we reach a certain size along with the interest of the users, and making sure that users are still active enough on the site to warrant that interest.

I'm glad to hear that you have got plans for when it does come to this. Not sure if I already mentioned this but there is a CF page available on the site's GitHub page for some reason. Why is that?

Word of mouth is our best advertising solution. It's how Code Forum got most of its coders from. I spent many hours going through Discord servers asking owners and members if they wanted to join. I believe creating that personal connection with that potential coder increases the chance of getting them to register. I still believe this is our best option to continue to grow our community. And, once again I encourage you, and everyone else to talk to people, get them to join - However respect server rules, don't push them. If they don't want to join that's fine.

Going back to advertising, word-of-mouth is the only way to really get any benefit. A lot of people use ad-blocking software such uBlock Origin and Pi-Hole nowadays, so asking others if they're interested instead of shoving ads right in the faces of people while they're trying to browse the web, is the only good option we have at disposal.

Of course, there are still quite a lot of people out there who don't use blocking-software, so advertising can still work a little bit. But I do assume nearly all members of CF to have some kind of ad-blocking software in use.

I believe we had this discussion already, but can't remember where.. Code Forum will not base its Forum layout based on trends, it needs to be based of coder demand, the community. E.g. I could add R, but maybe no one on Code Forum knows R? This will create a lot of empty boards and I will continue to stand by my current system of adding forums. With this said, I plan on re-working the forum layout, I wanted to add sections regarding Computer Science as I think this would be an important section to have.

We did have this at an earlier date but it might have been on another thread.

I understand the fact that you don't want empty boards. The example you gave was pretty much the only real reason not to keep adding boards based on trends and it's that: "How many people know X language or Y framework?" As long as you stick to that question and not the trends-data, you won't be having empty boards.

Me suggesting to add boards based on data, was because I believed that if people searched for X language or Y framework, you would have more people coming in and asking questions because they were searching for that specific thing. But of course, if it came to asking questions on a board that was practically empty, it then goes back to your question of how many people know this.

I agree with this, I think we need a lot more tutorials and guides to try to encourage viewers to join a participate. However, I can't force coders to post tutorials. And as for my tutorials, I'm still working on getting tutorials out and hopefully will have some of them out soon. With that said, @Mathematical you are great writing tutorials, I encourage you to write more tutorials as well. But try to avoid the wall of texts :D

You are right in saying that you cannot simply ask somebody to post tutorials against their will. Just because somebody knows Java, doesn't mean they will have the time to write a tutorial for Java, as they will be too busy writing Android apps or working on banking-systems.

I am trying to get back into my habit of posting more tutorials. I was due to write and publish my second tutorial for C, but I've been too busy these past few days to actually do it. I'll look into publishing it tomorrow. I do also write advice-pieces for newer programmers and I'll probably be writing more of them too. I do also try my best to not post walls of text, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes and a lot about the syntax to examine too when analyzing code or a program, which is why my tutorials end up as long.

I'll work on ways that we can improve on this!

Good. A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's there for a good purpose. A bit of work should also be placed on the Resources section of the site, as there's not a lot going on there now either.

Why not just offer little things? For example, I always put scripts online which I write for myself.
e.g. https://gitlab.anzah.network/Tealk/shell-administration-scripts

I agree with this, I think we need a lot more tutorials and guides to try to encourage viewers to join a participate. However, I can't force coders to post tutorials. And as for my tutorials, I'm still working on getting tutorials out and hopefully will have some of them out soon. With that said, @Mathematical you are great writing tutorials, I encourage you to write more tutorials as well. But try to avoid the wall of texts
That's what makes it so difficult to write a tutorial that you can understand but it won't be infinitely long.
apart from that i don't think anyone wants to read a tutorial that is written in a bad english

Last edited:
Why not just offer little things? For example, I always put scripts online which I write for myself.
e.g. https://gitlab.com/Tealk144/shell-administration-scripts
That is actually a good idea. It certainly gives the community something to contribute to while waiting on something bigger to hit the scene. Plus, it helps people learn a bit about shell-scripting and open-source too.

@Master Yoda, please do consider this. @Tealk may have just given the site a really good idea to do.

That's what makes it so difficult to write a tutorial that you can understand but it won't be infinitely long.
apart from that i don't think anyone wants to read a tutorial that is written in a bad english
Nobody wants a long tutorial nor' do they want one written in poor English(Nor' do they want it to be written poorly in any language as a matter of fact). Not only that, they certainly don't want a tutorial with just a few sentences for an "explanation". Bad English, poor formatting, and extremely short explanations without going into too much detail or even the nitty-gritty, is the epitome of a bad tutorial.

As I stated, it's hard to try and condense posts to be smaller, when there is so much going on under the hood that will definitely need an explanation. So while I do end up with a well-written tutorial with some decent formatting put into it, the tutorial itself is extremely long to the point where people may complain. And then I need to try condensing down my next post even more, which is impossible as it's covering something more complex, which involves me having to dig really deep with a lot of explaining to do.

I do agree that walls of texts are bad for some people, while for others like myself, we can get through just fine. But I believe that the rule should not apply to tutorials due to the fact that some will go into deep detail.

I'm glad to hear that you have got plans for when it does come to this. Not sure if I already mentioned this but there is a CF page available on the site's GitHub page for some reason. Why is that?
The GitHub page is for projects that are or will be runned under Code Forum. E.g. WebWareBox is under CF but not listed.

I have a project in mind for the community that soon any of us will be able to add their mark on CF. But first I have to go more in depth with GitHub.

Of course, there are still quite a lot of people out there who don't use blocking-software, so advertising can still work a little bit. But I do assume nearly all members of CF to have some kind of ad-blocking software in use.
I think probably the best solution for us would be sticking to word of mouth, with some help with paid advertisements. Perhaps paying for spots on other websites etc. That can probably help us reach those whom have Adblockers etc.

[UWSL][/UWSL]
Me suggesting to add boards based on data, was because I believed that if people searched for X language or Y framework, you would have more people coming in and asking questions because they were searching for that specific thing. But of course, if it came to asking questions on a board that was practically empty, it then goes back to your question of how many people know this.
We could work on a possible work around, I can probably be address this when I do the forum re-layout. I could add certain keywords in the description that could help attract viewers.

You are right in saying that you cannot simply ask somebody to post tutorials against their will. Just because somebody knows Java, doesn't mean they will have the time to write a tutorial for Java, as they will be too busy writing Android apps or working on banking-systems.

I am trying to get back into my habit of posting more tutorials. I was due to write and publish my second tutorial for C, but I've been too busy these past few days to actually do it. I'll look into publishing it tomorrow. I do also write advice-pieces for newer programmers and I'll probably be writing more of them too. I do also try my best to not post walls of text, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes and a lot about the syntax to examine too when analyzing code or a program, which is why my tutorials end up as long.
I’m going to try to convince some coders to see if they are willing to post some tutorials. I may also release some tutorials of both C++ and Python May even do some HTML/CSS.

I’m working on something special which I believe will bring us new and exciting tutorials but that’s a secret for now!

My suggestion if you have a tutorial that has tons of explanations and or have a lot of information perhaps split the posts up into different threads.

Good. A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's there for a good purpose. A bit of work should also be placed on the Resources section of the site, as there's not a lot going on there now either.
I agree. I’ll work on that as well! :)

Can you elaborate on this? You mean like for CF to publish scripts or other members.

Which is true not many want to go through a tutorial that is written in bad English. But anyone can post tutorials.

The GitHub page is for projects that are or will be runned under Code Forum. E.g. WebWareBox is under CF but not listed.

I have a project in mind for the community that soon any of us will be able to add their mark on CF. But first I have to go more in depth with GitHub.
Yeah, I understand the purpose of the GitHub.

By going more "in-depth" with GitHub, what do you mean by this? Do you need to learn more about the Git VCS(That GitHub is built on), or just trying to learn the user-interface on GitHub's site and how to use it all?

I think probably the best solution for us would be sticking to word of mouth, with some help with paid advertisements. Perhaps paying for spots on other websites etc. That can probably help us reach those whom have Adblockers etc.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Since forums are currently falling out of favour day by day, paying for ads will not be worth it. Plus, there is StackOverflow too, which is killing off programming-forums.

Paying for spots on other sites should help benefit a bit too. We'll see how that goes anyway.

We could work on a possible work around, I can probably be address this when I do the forum re-layout. I could add certain keywords in the description that could help attract viewers.
The description of boards counts as meta-data, if I'm correct, and pretty much all search-engines rely on meta-data such as the description, to rank results. So, by adding important keywords into a description for a board, for example: "Java is an object-oriented, multi-paradigm programming-language designed by James Gosling back in 1995. Discuss the language, write tutorials, and ask questions about it here."

Something like the example I've done above. I've used "object-oriented" and "tutorials", which are both popular when learning about Java or OOP in general. This sort of layout should work.

I’m going to try to convince some coders to see if they are willing to post some tutorials. I may also release some tutorials of both C++ and Python May even do some HTML/CSS.

I’m working on something special which I believe will bring us new and exciting tutorials but that’s a secret for now!
If you're going to go about asking people if they are interested in writing tutorials for CF, check their posting-history first. Check the answers they have posted, questions they've asked, and just how really good they are with the language in general. The last thing you want is to get a beginner in C++ - Who looks like he knows a lot - To write a poor tutorial that does a bad job at explaining things. The same thing of course, applies to you too. Don't post any tutorial until you've reached a certain level that at least qualifies you to be either "intermediate" or "advanced".

I'm curious to know what this "special" thing is that you're working on. Please, keep us updated on it.

I agree. I’ll work on that as well!
Glad to hear that you'll be putting more effort into this too. The last thing ever uploaded there was by myself in May of this year.

Can you elaborate on this? You mean like for CF to publish scripts or other members.
He isn't really specifying anyone, so I'm assuming he means both parties: CF and the members.

Which is true not many want to go through a tutorial that is written in bad English. But anyone can post tutorials.
As I said, a tutorial with bad English makes it bad, because one cannot understand it due to how poorly written it is. At the very least, I believe tutorials should be proof-read by others when they've been posted. If the English is extremely bad, get rid of it. If it's in the middle, let it stay up. By following some kind of rule for checking the quality of posts, this helps prevent poorly written tutorials being uploaded to CF with bad English.

Of course, the explanation of what's going on also counts towards a bad tutorial - Not just the English proficiency of the author. Tutorials with little to no explanation of what's exactly going on, just stops it from being a tutorial as nobody will be able to know what's truly going on.

This was already considered, that’s why we currently have the resource manager add-on.
Ah. Well, it doesn't really seem to have been used for sharing scripts. Maybe when we get around to improving the Resources page, maybe more items will start being shared - Including scripts.

I was only interested in the fact that it doesn't have to be something huge to work on, even small scripts can be helpful.
It seemed to me that your answer was that you only consider huge projects desirable.

This was already considered, that’s why we currently have the resource manager add-on.
That doesn't make much sense to put it there again if it's already on GitLab or GitHub.

If the English is extremely bad, get rid of it. If it's in the middle, let it stay up.
Maybe you should not delete it but simply improve it? I think there are probably moderators who would do something like that. For that you don't need so much knowledge

It seemed to me that your answer was that you only consider huge projects desirable.
Medium or large-sized projects are probably what people desire to work on, while also working on smaller ones too. Of course, starting small is always the best as a lot of people here on CF seem to mostly be beginners in programming, with a tinier portion of the site containing more experienced people. While we could work on bigger projects, beginners can't make do greater contributions to large projects, which is why we'd all need to start small.

Maybe you should not delete it but simply improve it? I think there are probably moderators who would do something like that. For that you don't need so much knowledge
I never actually thought of that. If @Master Yoda doesn't go with my suggestion(Which me more than likely won't), then it will more than likely just be modifying the posts to be better written.

The only issue is that when the English is poor, it makes it harder to actually translate it into much better English. For example, if somebody's explanation is poorly written and I'm fixing it, I won't be able to understand what was actually trying to be said, unless there are certain words that help making translation easier.

By going more "in-depth" with GitHub, what do you mean by this? Do you need to learn more about the Git VCS(That GitHub is built on), or just trying to learn the user-interface on GitHub's site and how to use it all?
In regards to this, what I mean is I want to dive deeper into the GitHub features to see how Code Forum can use them.

The description of boards counts as meta-data, if I'm correct, and pretty much all search-engines rely on meta-data such as the description, to rank results. So, by adding important keywords into a description for a board, for example: "Java is an object-oriented, multi-paradigm programming-language designed by James Gosling back in 1995. Discuss the language, write tutorials, and ask questions about it here."

Something like the example I've done above. I've used "object-oriented" and "tutorials", which are both popular when learning about Java or OOP in general. This sort of layout should work.
Okay, I will take this into consideration when I redo the forum layout.

If you're going to go about asking people if they are interested in writing tutorials for CF, check their posting-history first. Check the answers they have posted, questions they've asked, and just how really good they are with the language in general. The last thing you want is to get a beginner in C++ - Who looks like he knows a lot - To write a poor tutorial that does a bad job at explaining things. The same thing of course, applies to you too. Don't post any tutorial until you've reached a certain level that at least qualifies you to be either "intermediate" or "advanced".
As I said, a tutorial with bad English makes it bad, because one cannot understand it due to how poorly written it is. At the very least, I believe tutorials should be proof-read by others when they've been posted. If the English is extremely bad, get rid of it. If it's in the middle, let it stay up. By following some kind of rule for checking the quality of posts, this helps prevent poorly written tutorials being uploaded to CF with bad English.

Of course, the explanation of what's going on also counts towards a bad tutorial - Not just the English proficiency of the author. Tutorials with little to no explanation of what's exactly going on, just stops it from being a tutorial as nobody will be able to know what's truly going on.
I can't base it off their history, anyone can post tutorials. Teaching others is again, the best way to learn. However, if the tutorial is not really understandable I will not make any rules against it but advise them of changes they could make to improve their tutorial. Saying coders who are intermediate or advanced should be the only ones who can make tutorials can sound pretty unwelcoming.

Even if the information or explanation is not fully understood, this is the opportunity to improve, get feedback and have information correction. Again, it furthers your learning with that particular topic.

I'm curious to know what this "special" thing is that you're working on. Please, keep us updated on it.
I just need a few more people to get back to me then I'll share! :)

He isn't really specifying anyone, so I'm assuming he means both parties: CF and the members.
I believe you misunderstood what I said, what I mean is that are these scripts/resources being published by CF and or encourage members to publish scripts/resources.

That doesn't make much sense to put it there again if it's already on GitLab or GitHub.
You can easily link the resource to your GitHub/GitLab. I'm not saying post your whole script on it, however, you can but you can just link it. I have plans to eventually release scripts/resources on our resource page.

I was only interested in the fact that it doesn't have to be something huge to work on, even small scripts can be helpful.
Any sized project can be listed - Small to huge. I'm considering all sized projects. E.g. a script that adds an A in the name of every file on your computer to Advanced calculators.

The only issue is that when the English is poor, it makes it harder to actually translate it into much better English. For example, if somebody's explanation is poorly written and I'm fixing it, I won't be able to understand what was actually trying to be said, unless there are certain words that help making translation easier.
Like @Tealk mentioned, I would just as the author to rewrite/rephrase the tutorial.

You can easily link the resource to your GitHub/GitLab. I'm not saying post your whole script on it, however, you can but you can just link it. I have plans to eventually release scripts/resources on our resource page.
But then you have to maintain the description, the changelog and similar in 2 places. Programmers are lazy people ;)

well, but you can still ask, the writer can be reached via the forum.
That is true. But then, what if the writer is inactive for a certain period of time? Perhaps he doesn't even make a return. That's when you won't be able to know what they truly meant when you attempt to ask them.

I can't base it off their history, anyone can post tutorials. Teaching others is again, the best way to learn. However, if the tutorial is not really understandable I will not make any rules against it but advise them of changes they could make to improve their tutorial. Saying coders who are intermediate or advanced should be the only ones who can make tutorials can sound pretty unwelcoming.

Even if the information or explanation is not fully understood, this is the opportunity to improve, get feedback and have information correction. Again, it furthers your learning with that particular topic.
When I said to base it off their history, I was referring to you going about asking a few people to post tutorials - Not basing the tutorials off of everyone's history.

Regarding only being of "intermediate" or "advanced" levels to post tutorials, was not meant to be taken out of the context I intended it to be in. I was meant to say that being of those levels is when it's best to post tutorials - I didn't mean to say that beginners shouldn't until they've made progress on their education. Beginners can be free to post tutorials, but being of intermediate or advanced levels are in my opinion, again, the best levels to post tutorials at.

Going back to the poor English discussion, I think what people should do is go about online or ask their teacher(If they're in school), about the quality of their English. If others online or the teacher provide more criticism than compliments, that should be taken as a sign to further improve. I believe one tip that could be offered is to write mock-up tutorials and have them sent to a CF staff-member for review on the quality. Not only does this benefit the writer and their English, it also helps improve their writing-skills in general, and also gives them a chance to work on explaining things in more detail.

I believe you misunderstood what I said, what I mean is that are these scripts/resources being published by CF and or encourage members to publish scripts/resources.
Well, if we're going with the userbase, then either users can submit scripts to be uploaded to a repository or have them submitted to the Resources section of the site. So, they still are technically being published by CF.

If we're going with CF writing and publishing themselves without getting the userbase involved too much, then perhaps staff-members will write the scripts and whoever has access to the GitHub, uploads them there to a repository or again, in the Resources section.

Any sized project can be listed - Small to huge. I'm considering all sized projects. E.g. a script that adds an A in the name of every file on your computer to Advanced calculators.
In my opinion, the scaling of projects should be based off of CF's current size. When we start making projects, we of course, start small. There won't be much to do, but everyone can get involved, and plus, there will be less headaches too. Then as the site grows in size, we scale to bigger and better projects. Ones that will require more users with a good amount of experience to be involved - Of course, beginners can contribute to these larger projects too, to help gain experience. The only issue they'll have as a beginner is trying to understand what more complicated parts of the code do.

As you said, start off with simple projects that don't require much involvement but can still interest people, like writing small, automation scripts. Once you start to scale larger, you move onto as you said, an advanced calculator, an RPG game, a chatbot, you get the idea.

You definitely do not want to start extremely big and ambitious projects with such a small userbase which contains more beginners than experienced people. That will lead to little development and involvement happening, with most involvement probably being: "Looks interesting. Keep it up!" and feature-suggestions, while the experienced work their butts off 5+ hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom