Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

    GIF shows where to locate </> in the thread and or post editor toolbar.
    To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, review our "How to post your code into threads" here.

    Thank you, Code Forum.

Python Simple confusion for the del instuction

[CODE lang="python" title="del instruction" highlight="5-6"]hatList = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

hatList[2] = input(int("Enter an integer number: )")

del hatList[4]
del hatList[-1]

print("Lists content: ", hatList)
[/CODE]

I don't know If I am being stupid but does the del instruction produce a traceback error for line 5 but works for line 6?
 
Hello Steve389!

The reason is that the index '-1' is invalid. The first element of an array is located at the index '0'. You are trying to delete a non-existing element, thus the error.

Wait... Are you sure the problem is at line 5 and not 6??

Also, it should be:
Python:
hatList[2] = int(input("Enter an integer number: "))
Instead of:
Python:
hatList[2] = input(int("Enter an integer number: )")
You want to convert the string returned by 'input' into an integer, not the argument given to it.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't notice that the them being the wrong way round! thank you for telling me.

Also your fix with the mix up in the int and input has fixed the issues. It works for either '[4]' or '[-1]'. According to my python course -1 isn't invalid because negative values i.e. [-1] starts from the last line in the list and work backwards.

I appreciate your help, it was very useful!
 
Sorry, I didn't notice that the them being the wrong way round! thank you for telling me.

Also your fix with the mix up in the int and input has fixed the issues. It works for either '[4]' or '[-1]'. According to my python course -1 isn't invalid because negative values i.e. [-1] starts from the last line in the list and work backwards.

I appreciate your help, it was very useful!
Glad I helped! I did not know for the [-1], I do not really code in Python, so I assumed it was like in C++ haha 😉
 
Back
Top Bottom