Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML & CSS Background problemn

Saumyojit

Well-Known Coder
<div id="rt"></div> this line i have written in index.html file

CSS:
#rt {
  background-color: red;
  width:70%;
  height: 300px;
}
this part i have written in .css file .
Output is showing the right : A red background color block is showing .

NOw if i use inline css here, there is no blue background coming .
But if i write some text in between div tag then the container with background blue is showing why so ?

HTML:
<div style="height:60%; width:50%; background:blue;">
</div>

Last edited by a moderator:
i gave you the two main files . I hope you understood my doubt . When i am using inline style attribute inside div tag then why no background color is not showing until i write some text inside div tag

[CODE lang="html" highlight="44,46"]<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="description" content="This is an awesome website">
<meta name="author" content="Jit">
<meta name="keywords" content="HTML,Tutorial,Giraffe Academy">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="150">
<title>My Website</title>
<br> <br>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./style.css">

</head>

<body style="background-color:lightblue;">

<div style="height:60% width:40%; background:blue;"></div>
<br><br><br>
<div id="rt"></div>
</body>
</html>

[/CODE]

this is the code in css file

CSS:
#rt
{

background-color: red;
  width:70%;
  height: 300px;

}

When i am using inline style attribute inside div tag then why no background color is not showing until i write some text inside div tag
(I was gonna post saying that it was probably just a HTML/CSS quirk, but I finally found the problem and a solution).

In your inline-CSS, you are using a percentage for both your width and height. Changing this to width: 40px; height: 60px; will render a tiny, blue box.

Moral of the story is this: if you are wanting to adjust containers to a certain size(and have them adjust based on the screen size and magnification), use a percentage; if you are wanting containers to be a specific size and remain that way(so they will not change size depending on the screen or magnification), use the px unit.

(I was gonna post saying that it was probably just a HTML/CSS quirk, but I finally found the problem and a solution).

In your inline-CSS, you are using a percentage for both your width and height. Changing this to width: 40px; height: 60px; will render a tiny, blue box.

Moral of the story is this: if you are wanting to adjust containers to a certain size(and have them adjust based on the screen size and magnification), use a percentage; if you are wanting containers to be a specific size and remain that way(so they will not change size depending on the screen or magnification), use the px unit.
<div style="width:500px; height:170px; background:blue"></div> this creates a blue box exactly what i wanted

<div style="width:100%; height=50%; background:blue"></div> this did not create anything
why so ?

<div style="width:100%; height=50%; background:blue"></div> this did not create anything
why so ?
I don't exactly know. Guess it's just a weird quirk with HTML/CSS. I wouldn't be so concerned about it, as HTML/CSS are markup-languages and not programming-languages.

As I said, use the percentage if you want containers to adapt to the screen size; use
px if you want a fixed size that does not adapt.

A div element's height is set by the content inside of it. In your example you have an empty div and are trying to set the height as a percentage, which is a relative measurement, and with no content inside the div you are essentially saying "make this height 40% of 0" which of course equals zero.

A div element's height is set by the content inside of it. In your example you have an empty div and are trying to set the height as a percentage, which is a relative measurement, and with no content inside the div you are essentially saying "make this height 40% of 0" which of course equals zero.
Screenshot (204).pngScreenshot (205).png

Must be some browser/OS differences, going back to the quirk @Hassapiko was referring to
It must definitely be this. The code used would display one way on a Chromium-based browser and then displayed differently on a Gecko-based browser. Web standards are never consistent and even something like background-color: blue can end up showcasing two different shades of blue.

@Saumyojit also said that he was having trouble displaying these boxes in an empty <div>. In the images given, these boxes are being displayed...in an empty <div>. @Saumyojit, may I encourage you to not use online-editors? Your browser(Chrome, in this case) has the ability to display HTML - both offline and online(it cannot render PHP without a server like Apache, however). Plus, it means you get to work in a proper development-environment, and will be able to spot actual errors(and not errors caused by something in the online editor).

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <style>
            div {
              height: 200px;
              width: 50%;
              background-color: powderblue;
            }
        </style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h2>Set the height and width of an element</h2>
        <div>This div element has a height of 200px and a width of 50%.</div>
    </body>
</html>

Screenshot (211).png

Last edited by a moderator:
you are essentially saying "make this height 40% of 0"
THE same thing is happening with my atom editor also

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<style>
div {
  height:50%;
  width: 50%;
  background-color: powderblue;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<h2>Set the height and width of an element</h2>

<div>This div element has a height of 200px and a width of 50%.</div>

</body>
</html>

when i change the height attribute to 50 % it should be 50 percent of the original 200pixel right i.e 100 pixel
But output is coming

Screenshot (212).png

The <div> elements will have a height of 50% of the height of its parent (Here, the <body> element)., but you have not given any height to the <body>. Try giving an height and width of 100% to the <html> and <body> elements.

The <div> elements will have a height of 50% of the height of its parent (Here, the <body> element)., but you have not given any height to the <body>. Try giving an height and width of 100% to the <html> and <body> elements.
One of my seniors told that suppose the webpage height is 500px then the div element if its height is 50 percent then it should be taking 50 percent of the full web page height? is he right?

I think it may depend on the browser used, but in my experience, by default, the height of the <body> is the height of its content. So if there is text inside it, its height will match the height of the text and if there is nothing inside it, it will have a height of 0.

u are right

New Threads

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom