Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Can free lance make more than full stack developers? Let us know your opinion

TopSilver

Bronze Coder
So do you any of you think a free lance developer can make more than a full stack developer? Personally I believe they can. Full stack developers make a lot but I've heard stories about some free lance developers making a killing and I was curious if anyone ever heard stories about a free lance developer making that much.

Which one do you prefer in your opinion or which one is better?

Just being a freelance developer instead of working at an agency won't make you that much money. You will actually need skills that are at least close to equal to the developer working at an agency AND you will also need to be at least decent at acquiring new customers. Right now, I generally make 800 Euros - 10k Euros per project and projects of up to 3k euros can usually be finished in 40 hours of work (including communication) or less (that's actually the time I'm WORKING on the project, so excluding waiting for resources etc.). This means I am able to finish up to three projects a month if all goes well and considering smaller and larger projects.

So, let's say a good month could make me about 7.5k Euros (~ 8.5k USD). Where I live, as a full stack developer, you make around 3k Euros per month. So yes, you can earn more, but generally, you'll make right about the same amount of money or just a bit over (and a couple of times a year maybe essentially more).

I, however, am not a full-stack developer; I am a UI / UX designer & front-end developer. When I still worked for an agency, I made 2.5k Euros a month (and I got a MacBook Pro, travel allowance and a parking spot in the city) and I was right between medior and senior level at that time.

Jyx is right as a freelancer you may or may not earn more it depends on the skill set, with this in mind in an agency you have a set consistent wage/salary but as a freelancer you will have low and high months depending on the demands that meet your skill sets so you have to balance out as much as you can.

I have been a freelancer for a long time and have my own products and services aside from some hobby projects and this goes up and down on earnings some good months some not so good based on what my customers and clients require.

@Alan I think your pretty much right. Sometimes it can go up and down on where sometimes you make more money than other times. Though it seems to be that a lot of it is due just not being able to find work. Usually when the work flow is good so is the money. I haven't tried being a freelancer but I know so many people that have made money that I know for a fact it is possible to make more than full stack developers but considering the work is so easily obtained when you have a job, in my opinion that's the main reason they make more money sometimes

Free-lancing is working for yourself, and full stack development is developing at all levels of the web software stack. Frontend, backend, etc. They aren't mutually exclusive; someone can do full stack development free-lance. The correct terminology would be free-lance / contract vs. full time.

Both of those paths can be profitable. Keep in mind that the total of a contract should sum up to about double a full time salary that it competes against, because full time salaries come with benefits and increased job security.

Freelancers can make as much as others - assuming they can market. However, it's all not just advertising. There needs to be solid proof that your business is competent - and it always helps if you can offer something others cannot.

Back
Top Bottom