Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ivan.moony

Bronze Coder
Hosting with small hosters?

Hehe, you never know, first they'll bribe you with cookies to come to them, then they'll delete all your data when you least expect it, and that is on purpose, just for fun. :smiling_imp:

Well not, hehe, just joking. :blush:

I have to admitt, I keep my hopes in situations like those. I like to give a fair chance to people. Besides, it is in decentralization direction, and I don't like anyone to have a power such Google or Microsoft possess. :coffee:

Last edited:
Hehe, you never know, first they'll bribe you with cookies to come to them, then they'll delete all your data when you least expect it, and that is on purpose, just for fun. :smiling_imp:
I refuse all cookies. Unlock them by hand first. :p

Well, it's not really decentralized, because in the end there are only a handful of server centers.
Whereby each individual server is also decentralized. Cloudflare is currently much more dangerous for the internet than Google, with their stupid DNS and co. which nobody needs.

Cloudflare is currently much more dangerous for the internet than Google, with their stupid DNS and co. which nobody needs.

But why do we all then comply? Are we, as a whole, that much incapable?

I guess some amount of conservatism in informatics sense is required to form up something solid. Otherwise, too much progression may show up to be be destructive. Like in agile development where in the last stage of production some team decides to rewrite all from ground up. It could be a good decision, but it takes a lot of courage to do it because it poses a risk. And that is with a small group of people. The larger the group is, the harder it is to introduce changes in the system. So we are all forced to use pre-flood solutions that are proven to work... somehow...

But we shouldn't be totally ungrateful, everything is constantly improving over the time scale. Our job is to ensure that a nice and safe part of our dreams woud shape the future of our kids in a positive way.

So a small change could be improving DNS system. I saw some sub-site naming solutions I liked, but none of them had enough power to replace the hardened existing system. I just hope it was not all about money and power. Otherwise... it wouldn't be a good direction to go.

... I hope the OP wouldn't mind a bit of straying into internet politics...

But why do we all then comply? Are we, as a whole, that much incapable?
I can't tell you that, many people let themselves be lured by empty promises.
I love this post:
Once again there was a worldwide failure at Cloudflare. Again because they had broken something.
What do they do again?
Oh yeah right, configuring routers to increase resilience!1!
Source

If you don't want to leave your children with a completely controlled Internet experience, you shouldn't use Cloudflare!
DNS does not need any third party providers and websites are not needed either, my websites can be reached worldwide, without any distributed caching. Nobody needs this crap.
The only thing it brings is data for Cloudflare which they can evaluate and sell. So every company/state/or whoever can buy the habits of every single one!

Didn't find much info about CloudFlare on a fast skim, only advertisement everywhere.

So I upload my new site to arbitrary server from server providers palette and I purchase a cool domain name in a package. What do I do to avoid CloudFlare? And what else do I do to try to make things better around?

I don't think that actually belongs in here. @Master Yoda I don't think that actually belongs in here. xxx could you make a new topic from post 6 on? "Cloudflare something"

Didn't find much info about CloudFlare on a fast skim, only advertisement everywhere.
Of course, they live from the fact that people think they are a good company, otherwise less people would use cloudflare and they get less data.

What do I do to avoid CloudFlare? And what else do I do to try to make things better around?
As website operator or as user?

web site owner, and hosting operator.
what is the difference?

So as a user you have almost no possibility to escape this.
Tor is blocked by Cloudflare, so if you see a site like this while surfing, you know that ah there is Cloudflare at work, and you can leave the site before you get any data.
Otherwise, you can install the following add-on for Firefox, which at least points you to the Cloudflare being used.

As administrator, just don't use Cloudflare DNS, done.

what is the difference?

1) I host my site on server that is not mine; I only pay for storage and hosting, but I have an access to cPanel or similar script.
2) I own the sever, I pay electric power bills, and as such, I am the master of the Universe.

1) I host my site on server that is not mine; I only pay for storage and hosting, but I have an access to cPanel or similar script.
2) I own the sever, I pay electric power bills, and as such, I am the master of the Universe.
Okay for both of them it makes no difference on this subject

Ok, I think I got it, I found these instructions (Google answer from windowscentral.com):

How to configure Cloudflare DNS service on router
  1. Open your web browser.
  2. Enter the IP address of your router and press Enter. ...
  3. Log in using your router username and password as required. ...
  4. Open the DNS server settings page. ...
  5. In the DNS settings section use these IPv4 addresses: ...
  6. Save your settings.
  7. Restart your browser.

So, it's only about using some more appropriate DNS, which may be unrelated to default DNS of my hoster's choice. This refers to registering custom domain name at service other than CloudFlare, and stitching it with my site hosting place (in cPanel in my case).

I hope I got it, tx.

Last edited:
@ivan.moony You are mixing client and server.

Client:
Here you will find a list of "good" DNS service providers for your clients:

Server:
If you use cloudflare for your website, you enter the cloudflare name servers at your domain. These will manage the DNS entries of your domains.
Every call of your website goes through the cloudflare servers and they know exactly who clicks where on your website etc.
They do this across many websites and get an incredibly accurate profile about you.

If you now use cloudflare dns as a client, they not only know what you are doing on the websites that use cloudflare, but also what other websites you are visiting.

I don't think that actually belongs in here. @Master Yoda I don't think that actually belongs in here. xxx could you make a new topic from post 6 on? "Cloudflare something"

Of course, they live from the fact that people think they are a good company, otherwise less people would use cloudflare and they get less data.

As website operator or as user?
You said post 6 and on..

the answer came only so much later than the separation of the contribution, which has caused confusion.
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm back to work now so I've gotten less time on the computer.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom