Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Credit Card Checksum

dzieger

New Coder
I started edX CS50 and I'm working on a program that checks if a credit card number is valid by checking that it has the right amount of digits, the starting digits are correct, and then using luhns algorithm and returns either the card name if it is valid or invalid. It all works for the most part however, the valid visa cards i've entered return as invalid and some american express numbers don't give a read back. i'm assuming the problem is in the if statements but ill provide a a copy of the file. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

C:
//starts checks to see if the card is valid

//validates if it is american express card
    if (count == 15) //total digits
    {
        if (num == 34 || num == 37) //starting numbers of cards
        {
            if (sumt % 10 == 0) //luhns algorithm
            {
                printf("AMEX\n");
            }
        }
        else
        {
            printf("INVALID\n");
        }
    }
    //validates if it is mastercard
    else if (count == 16) //total digits
    {
        if (num == 51 || num == 52) //starting digits
        {
            {
                printf("MASTERCARD\n");
            }
        }

else if (num == 53 || num == 54) //starting digits
        {
            {
                printf("MASTERCARD\n");
            }
        }
        else if (num == 55) //starting digits
        {
            {
                printf("MASTERCARD\n");
            }
        }
        else
        {
            printf("INVALID\n");
        }
    }
    //validates if its visa
    else if (count == 13 || count == 16) //total digits
    {

if (vnum == 4) //first digit
        {
            {
                printf("VISA\n");
            }
        }
    }
    else
    {
        printf("INVALID\n");
    }

Attachments

• credit.zip
    842 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
This was interesting, thanks for sharing the code! I ended up reading about Luhn's algorithm, since finishing my CS degree many years ago I don't generally encounter things like this.

Anyway, I think you make life more difficult for yourself with the nested if statements. There are a lot of different paths through this code (lookup cyclomatic complexity as a measure of this). You'd benefit greatly from extracting some of the repeated parts of the code out (eg. checking modulus of [UWSL]sumt[/UWSL]).

Your problem lies in the fact that you check the modulus but if that's invalid then nothing happens. I could enter 5100000000000000 and get no response because although it's 16 characters and begins with a 51 the nested luhn's algo check doesn't have an else case to deal with an invalid checksum.

Hope that makes sense!

Perhaps, I'm late with the response, but I looked at your code, and it seems you've got the basic structure down. Regarding your issue with some valid visa cards being marked as invalid and some American Express cards not being recognized, it could be a problem with your if statements. Double-check the conditions you're using to determine the starting digits and ensure they match the correct values for each card type.

Perhaps, I'm late with the response, but I looked at your code, and it seems you've got the basic structure down. Regarding your issue with some valid visa cards being marked as invalid and some American Express cards not being recognized, it could be a problem with your if statements. Double-check the conditions you're using to determine the starting digits and ensure they match the correct values for each card type.
In addition to validating credit card numbers correctly, it's important to choose a reliable credit card operator to ensure the security and quality of your transactions. So, I suggest using the best quality cards from the Legendary Brian Krebs. By using high-quality credit cards from reputable issuers, you can help minimize the risk of fraud and other security issues.

Back
Top Bottom