Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hello All

Grr_Rey

New Coder
I am looking to start my coding journey to making a mobile game app but idk where to start. Ill be looking through the forum for info. I'd like to ask if any computers are recommended and what programs are recommended. I think ill be working with Java. I watched some videos and it seems like Java is best for android apps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello there, @Grr_Rey. Welcome to CodeForum!

It's handy to know what exactly you want to start making, but remember to not jump into the deep end straight away - that's how most programmers fail when starting off.

I'd like to ask if any computers are recommended and what programs are recommended.
Well, if you're going to be making Android apps, you'll need Android Studio, the official development tool made by Google for Android.

As a warning however, Android Studio consumes a hefty chunk of your computer's resources(memory, CPU, etc.) and so you'll want to look into building your own PC with hardware way above the minimum requirements; an emulator comes bundled with Android Studio, so you'll definitely want to invest in some good hardware if you want to use the emulator(alternatively, you can also connect your Android device to your computer for testing).

I think ill be working with Java. I watched some videos and it seems like Java is best for android apps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Java is the main language used for Android(for both the core OS and for most apps published on Google Play), however, it is currently fighting against Kotlin - a newer language - in terms of popularity. C++ is also a supported language for Android, but it's not as widely used for developing apps.

Other languages can be used. For example: C# is used for Unity games; C++ for apps and Unreal Engine games; HTML/CSS/JS for developing web-apps(there are frameworks like Electron for developing web-apps).

In short, for Android app development, all you need is: Android Studio, knowledge of Java/Kotlin/C++, and a good PC(preferably custom-built).

Welcome again!

Hassapiko

Thank you so much for taking time to give me some feedback. This information will really help me zero in on what I need and where to focus my attention. I need to figure out how to build a computer lol, but that should be achievable with some research. I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you again!

Hassapiko

Thank you so much for taking time to give me some feedback. This information will really help me zero in on what I need and where to focus my attention. I need to figure out how to build a computer lol, but that should be achievable with some research. I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you again!
You're welcome - I'm glad the information was helpful for you.

In regards to the computer, you actually don't need to build one; it was merely a suggestion because Android Studio has high requirements for it to run efficiently. If you check the Android Studio website for the minimum requirements, that should give you an idea of what kind of hardware you'll need for the best experience. I should also mention that you might be able to get away with a good laptop or ready-made desktop - the prices for laptops/pre-builts that are powerful are quite high, so look into them, check their specifications, and compare them to individual components to see what the best prices are and to decide between a laptop/pre-built or a custom-built PC.

Also, it is mobile games you want to make, correct? If so, although I've already linked you to both Unity and Unreal's websites, I can look into getting you the right resources on both sites to help get you started.

In regards to the computer, you actually don't need to build one; it was merely a suggestion because Android Studio has high requirements for it to run efficiently. If you check the Android Studio website for the minimum requirements, that should give you an idea of what kind of hardware you'll need for the best experience. I should also mention that you might be able to get away with a good laptop or ready-made desktop - the prices for laptops/pre-builts that are powerful are quite high, so look into them, check their specifications, and compare them to individual components to see what the best prices are and to decide between a laptop/pre-built or a custom-built PC.

Also, it is mobile games you want to make, correct? If so, although I've already linked you to both Unity and Unreal's websites, I can look into getting you the right resources on both sites to hel

Also, it is mobile games you want to make, correct? If so, although I've already linked you to both Unity and Unreal's websites, I can look into getting you the right resources on both sites to help get you started.
This is great guidance and I cant say thank you enough. I will be looking into these reqs on Android studio and then figuring out what my best option would be. I will be making a mobile game but it will be very rudimentary compared to games like pubg mobile or anything like that. It has more of a flappy bird kind of simplicity to it. Thank you so much for your guidance. It really is helping me to progress at a far greater speed than I had anticipated.

This is great guidance and I cant say thank you enough. I will be looking into these reqs on Android studio and then figuring out what my best option would be. I will be making a mobile game but it will be very rudimentary compared to games like pubg mobile or anything like that. It has more of a flappy bird kind of simplicity to it. Thank you so much for your guidance. It really is helping me to progress at a far greater speed than I had anticipated.
You're welcome again.

There are plenty of tutorials for Flappy Bird clones online in several different engines/programming-languages. Find one that fits what you're using. Also, do not be ashamed if it's just a clone of Flappy Bird - we all start somewhere.

You're welcome again.

There are plenty of tutorials for Flappy Bird clones online in several different engines/programming-languages. Find one that fits what you're using. Also, do not be ashamed if it's just a clone of Flappy Bird - we all start somewhere.
Oh no lol I didn't mean I was making a Flappy bird clone. I should have been more specific with my wording. I am making a game that is simple much like flappy bird. My statement was meant to express the contrast between what I was looking to create compared to something much more complex like a fps mobile game. I am making a game that is simple but of its own origin. Thank you again for being so helpful and responsive. I feel confident that this forum will be a place that I can learn as I progress through my journey aswell as a place to help others once I have knowledge to share.

Hello there!

It's awesome to hear you want to start your coding journey by making a mobile game app. It can honestly be tricky to know where to start and what direction to take. But it truly comes down to what you want to build - in this case you want to build a mobile game, but what type of game? What sort of functions do you want to add? What platform do you want to build on? What's your goal for this app?

For example, @Hassapiko mentioned both Unity (C#) and Android Studio (Java), but there's also Xcode (Swift) which helps with developing apps for iOS/macOS. Now the programs I listed do sometimes support other languages but that's just an idea of what are some of the IDE/Game Engine that are used to create mobile games.

What I like to say is "Start Small, Grow Big", the reason is it keeps me in line with realistic expectations. For example, before I start any project I determine if it's a small/medium or large project, then I take into account my capabilities. If you start on a Medium to Large project you may get burnt out faster and lose interest. But if you start with a small project, then it's manageable. And the more small projects you do, the more you are practicing and developing your skills which then makes you ready for larger projects.

So in your case, start by learning the basics of a language, then move onto a small project (even a simple calculator app) to help you solidify your knowledge and so on.

I hope this helps and makes sense!

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom