Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How can we improve?

Ah, right. I get it now. I was thinking of Linking to some secret Board. And yeah, you can't Ban someone for Posting a Website. But most of my Posts related to not allowing Websites, I'm mainly referring to things like Forums. For Forums, you just need to grab a piece of Software and then boom. You've got a Forum, time to Promote it on CF. That's the kind of stuff that I don't want popping-up anywhere on the Site.
Highly agree. We'll do a better job in monitoring the Media Centre to ensure it doesn't happen. @Ghost
Maybe also expand the Conditions to now allow Forums at all. Maybe also Brainstorm for a couple more Conditions as you can't just have one Condition. I'd consider 2+ Conditions to fit the bill.
@Ghost What do you think in regards to this?

I do apologize for this; some of my 150 member points I made were not kept due to my busy schedule and I think it's time to rethink some things that are more sustainable for our community. With that said, I think official projects should be pushed off to when the site has more traffic. But, I would definitely agree to allow members to start their own projects (not affiliated with CF) and encourage others to join them.
Okay, I know that you said that you're too busy with other stuff and the activity here on CF is lacking to do Projects but something just struck me.

Possibly, when you get around to starting Projects, maybe gather up ideas from the Community or Staff and do a vote on them. This means, that people get a chance to decide what kind of Project may be more interesting or cooler to work on than another one.

Another thing you could do, is Fork other Projects on GitHub and put them under CF. That way, you don't have to create a new Project from scratch and prepare everything. You already have a codebase to work from. It also means that if you want to start a new Project right now, you can just find something that interests you, the Community or just generally interesting that it could give CF something to work on then you can just click the Fork button on GitHub then you have a new Project.

Again, I know you're too busy with other stuff right now and the Member-Activity is lacking, but these were just some suggestions when you do get around to doing Projects.

Ever since my WebWareBox Project was removed from CF's Official-Projects
Well, about this. If you want to re-initiate the WebWareBox Project under CF again, feel free to PM me about it. I'm willing to let you restart it and build from the codebase that was left of it when the Project was scrapped. You may also put it under new Maintainers and choose a different Language for it(Such as Ruby or Python).

Again, I'm willing to let you restart this Project under CF and if you're willing to have it restarted.

I say we work on different types of projects, you know web development.

Possibly, when you get around to starting Projects, maybe gather up ideas from the Community or Staff and do a vote on them. This means, that people get a chance to decide what kind of Project may be more interesting or cooler to work on than another one.
That's what I have planned for open-sourced projects; it'll be based on community suggestions, then it will be voted on etc.

Another thing you could do, is Fork other Projects on GitHub and put them under CF. That way, you don't have to create a new Project from scratch and prepare everything. You already have a codebase to work from. It also means that if you want to start a new Project right now, you can just find something that interests you, the Community or just generally interesting that it could give CF something to work on then you can just click the Fork button on GitHub then you have a new Project.
I think this could also be done with the community as well.. so example: a coder makes a suggestion saying let's build this using this.. Then that is fine. Again, it's about the community, so if they want to use a fork from another free open-sourced project then I'm happy with that.

Well, about this. If you want to re-initiate the WebWareBox Project under CF again, feel free to PM me about it. I'm willing to let you restart it and build from the codebase that was left of it when the Project was scrapped. You may also put it under new Maintainers and choose a different Language for it(Such as Ruby or Python).

Again, I'm willing to let you restart this Project under CF and if you're willing to have it restarted.
Potentially, but as of right now ALL open-sourced projects have been halted.

That's what I have planned for open-sourced projects; it'll be based on community suggestions, then it will be voted on etc.
Good to hear that you've got it planned out. As with Voting, it gives people a chance to decide what they want to work on as maybe somebody wants to create Software while the other wants to create an App, the Community can decide on it.

Potentially, but as of right now ALL open-sourced projects have been halted.
Well, if you're still interested by the time all FOSS Projects have stopped being on halt and are opened up again, just PM me and we can work it out.

Would love to hear them but you'll need to keep hold of them until later.

Good to hear that you've got it planned out. As with Voting, it gives people a chance to decide what they want to work on as maybe somebody wants to create Software while the other wants to create an App, the Community can decide on it.
Yeah of course, the community should have the ability to vote on projects that they want to see.

Well, if you're still interested by the time all FOSS Projects have stopped being on halt and are opened up again, just PM me and we can work it out.
We might start a small project!

I think CF has been doing great for itself recently. Really, well done!

As we approach the new year ahead of us, I think the site could do with some fresh rounds of feedback, so here is mine:
  1. My first point is on the Resources section. I brought this up a while ago, so I'd like to bring attention back to it. It really is a useful thing to have, should anybody ever need to find a good resource, but as I mentioned in my post, it could do with way more promotion and a wider range of content(this includes mods for games and possibly stuff such as audio that could benefit video game developers).
  2. My next point is working to better retain users. I think this is something that all forums struggle with early on, but the goal is to try and keep new people in and you need to give them good reasons to do so. A good idea would be to find out what boards your users are spending most of their time in and from there, trying to incentivize them to branch out into other parts of the site they may not have had interest in(e.g. somebody from the C++ board might be incentivized by the Game Dev. board) - whether this is possible with the forum software, I don't know, but it's worth looking into. Of course, the current user retention I wouldn't say is reliable enough yet that you can rely mostly on your community to start new and interesting discussions, so I think it would be nice to see the staff starting some interesting discussions more(whenever they are available to post, of course. Can't depend on staff all the time either as they have lives too). Despite all this, I do think the site is continuing to improve in user retention, which is a good sign.
  3. The coding challenges really need to be pushed further next year. We only had one this year and it really wasn't that interesting in the slightest. Our minds need to be challenged, so with that in mind, you should start doing more intermediate-level challenges - not too hard, but not too easy. I don't have any ideas for a possible challenge right now, but something will spring up eventually. Incentives to bring people into challenges are also needed(doing stuff for charity would work well, I believe, as we are all doing a challenge for a good cause). I would like to see more challenges being done next year, perhaps even start a schedule for them(one for each season?)

Looking around the site, I see nothing else to be improved on(yet). As long as the site continues to advertise itself, grow and retain users, enforce its rules properly, bring fun to the community, and the staff consistently engage for feedback: the site is looking to stick around for a long time coming.

Here's to a Happy New Year!
(*slips on party hat*)

I think a good chat baord would be great, so not a form post but something like the old MSN group chats where we can all chat away but on the forum. I know we have discord but to have it on the website would be so so much better :)

I think a good chat baord would be great, so not a form post but something like the old MSN group chats where we can all chat away but on the forum. I know we have discord but to have it on the website would be so so much better :)
Ah, so do you mean like a chat/shoutbox? I think that would be cool to have, but, you don't see them often now on forums, and many admins prefer not to have them as they detract away from the boards themselves(so I've read).

I don't know if the Discord is active, but, there are people like myself who don't use it for whatever reasons, and so another place to chat would be good.

Ah, so do you mean like a chat/shoutbox? I think that would be cool to have, but, you don't see them often now on forums, and many admins prefer not to have them as they detract away from the boards themselves(so I've read).

I don't know if the Discord is active, but, there are people like myself who don't use it for whatever reasons, and so another place to chat would be good.
Exactly, i cant see it making things worse. For example, me and you chatting here. We could be at the Chat Box and others can easily see it and join in :)

simong1993 said:
Exactly, i cant see it making things worse. For example, me and you chatting here. We could be at the Chat Box and others can easily see it and join in
Yeah, I see what you mean.

I have read the experiences of several other forum owners and they often say that chatboxes take away activity from the site's boards. The chat could work for general discussion, but for when somebody is needing help, a thread would do better, so you could be right in saying that it won't make things worse.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
@HadASpook Love the ideas; I will go over them over the next couple of weeks.

Now I can't guarantee that all of your ideas will be implemented. But, I will have to make sure it positively benefits Code Forum.

@simong1993 Now, regarding the chatbox, we won't be going through with this. I do have some experience with this and found that it drew too much activity away from the forums.

@HadASpook Love the ideas; I will go over them over the next couple of weeks.

Now I can't guarantee that all of your ideas will be implemented. But, I will have to make sure it positively benefits Code Forum.
Thank you for responding.

Even if none of the ideas are implemented, I will remain pleased that you continue to acknowledge the feedback given to you by your community - that's what matters most.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom