Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to connect with azure SQL database without IP whitelisting

Veronica

Coder
At the interview, I was asked how I would connect to a newly provisioned SQL Server in a resource group using Azure Data Factory without whitelisting the IP address.

I suggested Managed Identity as an option.

Can someone guide me to the best practices around it? The securest way to connect to Azure SQL DB.

I answered Managed Identity. However not sure about this.

Yes, using a Managed Identity is a secure way to connect to an Azure SQL Database without whitelisting the IP address. Here are some best practices to follow:

1. Use a Managed Identity for authentication: This eliminates the need for credentials to be stored within Data Factory, reducing the risk of credential compromise.
  2. Grant permissions to the Managed Identity only: Ensure that the Managed Identity has the necessary permissions to access the SQL Database, but do not grant additional permissions to other identities or users.
  3. Use Virtual Network Service Endpoints: Configure Azure SQL Database to allow access only from a specific virtual network, and configure Data Factory to use Virtual Network Service Endpoints for the Azure SQL Database connection. This ensures that all traffic flows through a private network, reducing the attack surface.
  4. Use SSL/TLS encryption: Configure Data Factory to use SSL/TLS encryption for the SQL Database connection, to ensure that all data is transmitted securely.
By following these best practices, you can ensure that your connection to the Azure SQL Database is secure and protected against potential security threats.

Back
Top Bottom