Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

HTML intro to html

mrmantach

New Coder
hey guys!
mrmantech here
this is an early intro to html and to making sentences with html

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Page Title</title>
</head>
<body>

<h1>This is a Heading</h1>
<p>This is a paragraph.</p>

</body>
</html>

Are you looking to start an Intro to HTML thread? If so, lot's of members would help contribute to the page I'm sure. I know I would :)

Also, keep in mind that you don't just have a sentence there, you have a header that is already formatted by default to have a larger font size in order to show the reader the importance of that content. Remember that EVERY tag has meaning and purpose.

What is the point of explaining the very first basics of HTML here ? That is best learnt from the excellent tutorials at w3c.org. You don't really need anything else.

What is the point of explaining the very first basics of HTML here ? That is best learnt from the excellent tutorials at w3c.org. You don't really need anything else.
Many people learn in different ways, this could possibly be a way for them to learn. However, with that said, we also want to maintain a friendly-welcoming community; by saying the best-learnt tutorials can be found on w3c.org can sound like you are shooing them away and is equivalent to saying 'Google it' which is something we really try to avoid here, as it could discourage them from continuing to learn to code.

@mrmantach now in regards to your post, there isn't much value in your thread and we cannot tell whether or you need help or you are posting a thread to help others. If you wish to post a tutorial then I would recommend posting it in the Resource section which can be found here. If you are looking for help, let us know what you need help with, for example, are you seeing any errors?

Many people learn in different ways, this could possibly be a way for them to learn. However, with that said, we also want to maintain a friendly-welcoming community; by saying the best-learnt tutorials can be found on w3c.org can sound like you are shooing them away and is equivalent to saying 'Google it' which is something we really try to avoid here, as it could discourage them from continuing to learn to code.
I don't quite see how pointing someone to a wonderful and exhaustive resource (instead of them going to to re-invent the wheel) could be discouraging. This is not equivalent, IMHO, to saying 'Google it'. Now that would have been dismissive ! I agree though it could have been stated more user-friendly; the 'what's the point' bit was really not necessary. Sorry about that, also towards the OP.

I don't quite see how pointing someone to a wonderful and exhaustive resource (instead of them going to to re-invent the wheel) could be discouraging. This is not equivalent, IMHO, to saying 'Google it'. Now that would have been dismissive ! I agree though it could have been stated more user-friendly; the 'what's the point' bit was really not necessary. Sorry about that, also towards the OP.
Don't get me wrong, your resource is great, but as you mentioned it can sound like you are just saying Google it - there just wasn't enough context as to what the link is, what to do when they got there. Because perhaps the OP did in fact go to that link before and maybe they looked everywhere and couldn't find what they were looking for.

What I would recommend is just saying "Check out w3c.org, they have plenty of text-based tutorials around the introduction to HTML to help you get started".

Because if you were to add context along with a link you are sharing, you're not sounding like you are shooing them away to another website, but instead providing them with enough information to help them succeed in what they are after even if it's not what they are looking for because it then helps you and me understand exactly what their problem is.

But just so you are aware, you are not in trouble or anything it was a perfect resource - just can be interpreted in a negative way. :)

Don't get me wrong, your resource is great, but as you mentioned it can sound like you are just saying Google it - there just wasn't enough context as to what the link is, what to do when they got there. Because perhaps the OP did in fact go to that link before and maybe they looked everywhere and couldn't find what they were looking for.

What I would recommend is just saying "Check out w3c.org, they have plenty of text-based tutorials around the introduction to HTML to help you get started".

Because if you were to add context along with a link you are sharing, you're not sounding like you are shooing them away to another website, but instead providing them with enough information to help them succeed in what they are after even if it's not what they are looking for because it then helps you and me understand exactly what their problem is.

But just so you are aware, you are not in trouble or anything it was a perfect resource - just can be interpreted in a negative way. :)
Yes thanks, I get the point now. Posting the actual link of the W3C HTML tutorial would have been better. But I now see the OP had indeed already been there. In fact he had literally copied the very first example from this tutorial in his post. Perhaps it would have been up to him to post that link.....

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom