Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Link To Sign up To Custom Download

simong1993

Gold Coder
Staff Team
Guardian
Good Morning all,

I am so glad I have found this forum, I'm looking forward to helping people but I'm looking forward to learning also. What I am looking for is this: I will send an email to a client with a link, when they click the link it will ask them to sign up to my Aweber email list, when they sign up it will then send them the unique download that I have assigned to them. Now in PHP/SQL I can do this but I am using WordPress and if I can do this in a simpler way ill take it.

Does anyone know if this is possible or do i need to stop being so lazy and just build the idea :D

Email lists are so 19 century and especially not at all privacy friendly.

What do you want to do? Such an effort for a single download?

So the email will go out regardless as it's a hi how are you doing kind of email, completely GDPR compliant and it's a little something I send out about there website to show I've done my research. I do it as a click so I can monitor who clicks it to follow up but it would be nice to get them to sign up to a newsletter so I can email them more often and be GDPR compliant :)

newsletter so I can email them more often and be GDPR compliant
It is not GDPR compliant if you combine this with a download, only if the user logs in without any reward.

I send out about there website to show I've done my research
So without understanding what you are doing it is hard to help you, you should explain the process of what you are doing or what should happen, step by step.

For Wordpress there is already an add-on for almost everything, I myself don't use the CMS at all but if you have explained what the process should be, maybe someone can even suggest something.

It is GDPR compliant, you may email a company with information if it's a gernic email and if it's something that will benefit said company. I've done my home work trust me on this one

I can't find a plugin that's why I'm asking as there might be one but hiding :) so its like this.

Email customer with a email and a link if they want to get there report , customer opens email and clicks the link, said link is unique for each customer, customer signs up and gets the their report sent to them.

That's what I need in a nut shell but I can't find anything out there

It is GDPR compliant, you may email a company with information if it's a gernic email and if it's something that will benefit said company. I've done my home work trust me on this one
Ok companies are a bit different, I assumed you want to send something to private persons.

Surely these reports are also generated by some system? Is there an API for this or how do you want to connect it to Wordpress?

Ok companies are a bit different, I assumed you want to send something to private persons.

Surely these reports are also generated by some system? Is there an API for this or how do you want to connect it to Wordpress?

Ow no sorry i should have been a bit more clear :)

So bassicly i build websites/SEO, IT related tasks and what i am trialing is emailing companys (Generic Emails) just explaing who i am and providing a free SEO report if they choose to take it. i have done some split testing and it works so now its time to up scale the idea. I have been manualing uploading the report to my server then directing them to a page with id in the URL and using PHP Get to take the url and update the database that they have clicked then to redirect them to the download. Long process but hey it worked :D The guys i use to do my reports done have a API everything has to be done manualy sadly. the issue is with the way im doing it, its a long process and im hopeing by having the sign up function i can get future work for the same effort

Why not use NextCloud or something similar?
I could use my dropbox account but that would be the same as using my server, What I am considering doing now is directing them to a page and using the same GET function but start the download for them with the sign-up section in front of them so they have the choice, it seems a lot easier then making someone sign up

I suggested Nextcloud because it can be accessed via api and also via shell

The one with the login window during the download sounds friendly

Long term ill be turning everything from my dropbox to my home FTP server it might be a waste of time learning something new :D I think my best option will be to build the system then upload the code in case anyone else needs the same thing :)

So you mean like you click a link and it goes straight to a download?

Yes in a sense, i have sat down and brainstormed the idea a lot and i think i can automate it :D at the moment i am brain storming then ill build the system but basically its like this.

---------------------------------------- START ----------------------------------------

Create potential clients SEO report with there logo

Upload potential clients Report to server and link the path to the file on the server so www.{Domain}.co.uk/SEOReport/?client={potential clients url}&ID={Database ID}

I was going to be lazy and do a cron job to send the emails but i am doing it manually, so there will be a list of domain names, click the send button and it sends of the mail via MailGuns API. It will be a generic email that will add the company name, URL and the unique URL for the report. It will also detect the day and time. Its going to change its its afternoon or morning, if its night or the weekend there is a slight tweak to the email. It will also send a link to my buisness directory giving them a year free to sweeten the deal so i need to link the two databases.

Once they click the link, on the page the database will pick up the ID and the URL and find it on the database then it will update the database to tell me they have clicked, this will activate a follow up email in 5 days and create the path way to the SEO report on the server. on the page there will be a thank you bit and asking them if they want to sign up to my newsletter.

---------------------------------------- END ----------------------------------------

I haven't found anything even close to this so i am going to build it instead, i need to learn how GIT hub works so i can make this more available but going forward i want to take my scraper i have built and link them together, the scrapper can already find GDPR compliant company's/emails it just cannot handle the mass amount :D so long term i will link them together and see if the SEO company i use has a API so i can automate the whole process.

AUTOMATION IS KING

Hope i havent put you to sleep but this is where i am with my thinking at the moment :)

Last edited:
this maybe a start but may need to modify it and may give you a head start
have you ever heard of mautic, there is options to drip feed and digital asset downloads too, all with tracking and automation

Last edited:

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom