Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

Fun activity Modding games

BorkedSystem32

Silver Coder
Hey there,

Has anyone here ever modded a video game before? It could be something as simple as a small tweak in the code to completely new and fresh content. What game was it for and how did you go about doing it?

My first experience modding was with The Sims 4: I had used a program called Sims4Studio, which allowed me access to a bunch of stuff within the game, including XML files. I was more interested in the XML files, so from there I just began playing about with all sorts of values within it - my God what a horrific nightmare those files were, trying to find stuff in...

I'm not sure if this is called modding, but I've made a custom map for Among Us
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have wanted to mod games properly, or even create games, but I just never learnt to.

didlly said:
I vaguely remember making a mod for Minecraft that added back the function to craft enchanted golden apples.
Nice. I never took an interest in modding Minecraft until now. I was about to give it a shot using Forge, but then immediately backed away from the idea when the development-kit was installed after one of those URL-shortening sites that ask you to wait five seconds.

Do you remember what tool you originally used at the time when you made your mod?

Johna said:
I'm not sure if this is called modding, but I've made a custom map for Among Us
I would call that modding. A mod is simply any modification to a game's files and by making a map, you'll need to modify the code so that players have the choice to enter that map, therefore, it's a mod.

I mean i dont know if this is going to count but i used to Mod the 360s, me and my mate used to have the colourful game tags in MW2. Every achivement for every game unlocked also, was quite fun :D

I did a mod for some Army game way way back that would auto aim that was fun to use.

Rapid fire xbox controler was fun, 50cal would shoot like a P90 lol.

Ive done a few bots for games also :)

simong1993 said:
I mean i dont know if this is going to count but i used to Mod the 360s, me and my mate used to have the colourful game tags in MW2. Every achivement for every game unlocked also, was quite fun
Any modification = mod. But in your scenario, you have gone a step further and hacked a console - I love it! Console hacking has never interested me, but I do know that you can do some pretty cool things with it if done right.

simong1993 said:
Ive done a few bots for games also
*Stares suspiciously*

So, are you the guy that aim-botted me a billion times in *insert FPS game*?

Nice. I never took an interest in modding Minecraft until now. I was about to give it a shot using Forge, but then immediately backed away from the idea when the development-kit was installed after one of those URL-shortening sites that ask you to wait five seconds.

Do you remember what tool you originally used at the time when you made your mod?

I would call that modding. A mod is simply any modification to a game's files and by making a map, you'll need to modify the code so that players have the choice to enter that map, therefore, it's a mod.
Yeah, MCreator. However, I really prefer Fabric over Forge since it's faster, and the Fabric community is nicer, so I had to install this plugin to make the mod for Fabric.

Any modification = mod. But in your scenario, you have gone a step further and hacked a console - I love it! Console hacking has never interested me, but I do know that you can do some pretty cool things with it if done right.

*Stares suspiciously*

So, are you the guy that aim-botted me a billion times in *insert FPS game*?
Quite possibly lol, I did a EVE online mining bot too but now i only make bots for games where it dosent ruin it for anyone else. Makes me feel better lol. Although my coding has come along way since then so my new Aim bots would be awesome lol

simong1993 said:
Quite possibly lol, I did a EVE online mining bot too but now i only make bots for games where it dosent ruin it for anyone else. Makes me feel better lol. Although my coding has come along way since then so my new Aim bots would be awesome lol
I fear your powers, wise man...

As long as your mods don't ruin the experience for everyone else, then you're good.

Probably what started my entire interest in game development was messing around with Half Life 2, particularly the weapons and AI just to see what weird things I could make the engine do.
The broken Source engine remains one of my favorites.

Probably what started my entire interest in game development was messing around with Half Life 2, particularly the weapons and AI just to see what weird things I could make the engine do.
The broken Source engine remains one of my favorites.
GMod is a game built on Source that I used to enjoy playing before I got bored of it, despite the fact that there is millions of mods for the game that I could've downloaded - I guess nothing really interested me in the workshop. I think having friends to help mess about with the mods(or to just act plain stupid in vanilla GMod) would've made the game much more enjoyable.

Now that I'm writing this, maybe I'll give it another shot sometime in the future. I know Lua, so maybe I'll get around to making mods of my own for it if I ever get round to playing it again.

GMod is a game built on Source that I used to enjoy playing before I got bored of it, despite the fact that there is millions of mods for the game that I could've downloaded - I guess nothing really interested me in the workshop. I think having friends to help mess about with the mods(or to just act plain stupid in vanilla GMod) would've made the game much more enjoyable.

Now that I'm writing this, maybe I'll give it another shot sometime in the future. I know Lua, so maybe I'll get around to making mods of my own for it if I ever get round to playing it again.
Garry and his company are now making a sequel (sort of) called S&box in which game modes can also be written in C#, so it might just be a decent time to return :p

Garry and his company are now making a sequel (sort of) called S&box in which game modes can also be written in C#, so it might just be a decent time to return :p
I remember finding a video about it a while ago, but it never interested me. Now that you mention it, I may give it another look again(and that video too), as a couple of things I seen in the video looked interesting.

I spent a few minutes giving a quick look at the blog for it: I'm getting all jumpy and excited for this and now I wish I hadn't deleted my Steam account which had my GMod copy on it. Although I now wish to play GMod again, I'll wait until this comes out and I may consider signing up for Steam again as this is looking to be good. They seem to have done a lot in only a few years, considering as well that they had switched over from Unreal 4 to Source 2 recently.

(Reviving this thread to reignite interest in modding.)

Anyone been doing any modding recently? It can be any sort of mod: better graphics, new music or gameplay, fix certain issues, etc. It could even be something as big as a new map!

If you've uploaded your mod, share them here(screenshots too)!

Back
Top Bottom