Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

    GIF shows where to locate </> in the thread and or post editor toolbar.
    To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, review our "How to post your code into threads" here.

    Thank you, Code Forum.

Need an iOS (iPad) app to locate X/Y pixel coordinates on-screen

Johne1

Coder
Hi All!
I want to use HTLML image maps. The <area> tag requires x/y pixel coordinates. Multiple coordinates if the shape=“poly”.

I’m coding this on an iPad. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thank you! John
 
Hi All!
I want to use HTLML image maps. The <area> tag requires x/y pixel coordinates. Multiple coordinates if the shape=“poly”.

I’m coding this on an iPad. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thank you! John
For anyone else with the same requirement:

I’m trying out the, “Screen Ruler”, app. It may be all I need—too soon to tell. It’s a FREE app.
The Help Tour in it says it can also give you the RGB color values of whatever you point to on-screen.
I stopped the Help Tour to explore it, so I don’t know all it can do, yet.

Still open to suggestions. Thanks! John
 
Hey there,

I don't personally use iOS so I can't help you with that, but getting the pixel coordinates on the screen may not correspond to the position on the image you want, since the coordinates in the <area> element are relative to the top left corner of the image and not of the screen.
 
For anyone else with the same requirement:

I’m trying out the, “Screen Ruler”, app. It may be all I need—too soon to tell. It’s a FREE app.
The Help Tour in it says it can also give you the RGB color values of whatever you point to on-screen.
I stopped the Help Tour to explore it, so I don’t know all it can do, yet.

Still open to suggestions. Thanks! John

Gimp has a feature to create HTML Image Map
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/jnG0nJbAoSM?feature=shared


For iPAD there is XGimp

But I am not sure whether XGimp provides that feature
 
For anyone else with the same requirement:

I’m trying out the, “Screen Ruler”, app. It may be all I need—too soon to tell. It’s a FREE app.
The Help Tour in it says it can also give you the RGB color values of whatever you point to on-screen.
I stopped the Help Tour to explore it, so I don’t know all it can do, yet.

Still open to suggestions. Thanks! John

Okay, I just used Screen Ruler to create a working HTML Image Map.

PROS:
1. It’s a FREE app.
2. There is a Help tour.
3. Tools to measure and rotate an image.
4. A Ruler icon to display or hide a movable horizontal ruler on the screen.
5. Work area where you load in images is surrounded by vertical and horizontal pixel rulers.
Both rulers can be moved: vertical up or down; horizontal left or right.
I used this feature along with the on-screen horizontal ruler to measure fairly precisely, within 10 pixels, from the borders of the image I was measuring.

CONS:
1. No icon labels.
2. The cropping tool did not work for me. I cropped the screen shot of the web page containing the image, prior to saving it and opening it in Screen Ruler.
3. The app hasn’t been updated in 5 years, since iOS 13, but it still works!

CONCLUSION:
I clicked on the app’s icons and was able to figure out what they do or how they help you reference an on-screen image. The app description says it was designed with a specific industry’s measuring requirements in mind. While not made for what I’m doing, it certainly works to get the dimensions of an image in pixels.

For now, this will work for me. For FREE, one can hardly complain if it’s getting the job done.

John
 
Hey there,

I don't personally use iOS so I can't help you with that, but getting the pixel coordinates on the screen may not correspond to the position on the image you want, since the coordinates in the <area> element are relative to the top left corner of the image and not of the screen.
Yes, exactly. Thank you!
 
Gimp has a feature to create HTML Image Map
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/jnG0nJbAoSM?feature=shared


For iPAD there is XGimp

But I am not sure whether XGimp provides that feature
I wll check out that YouTube video.

I remember GIMP from my Linux days over 20 years ago.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom