Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've never used O/S 2. It's only recently that I've heard of it.

It's essentially an OS made by IBM and Microsoft(This was around the days of Windows 2.0). The last ever Update to it was in 2001 with the release of V4.52.

The thing is, this OS was not for Personal-Computers but Professional-Workplaces and Servers.

An OS is no longer IBMs focus as they now focus on Cloud-Computing and AI. O/S 2 is just a historical landmark in IBMs History.

I've never used O/S 2. It's only recently that I've heard of it.
It's essentially an OS made by IBM and Microsoft(This was around the days of Windows 2.0). The last ever Update to it was in 2001 with the release of V4.52.
The thing is, this OS was not for Personal-Computers but Professional-Workplaces and Servers.
An OS is no longer IBMs focus as they now focus on Cloud-Computing and AI. O/S 2 is just a historical landmark in IBMs History.

Yeah the OS wars lasted a good while, cost a lot of money, and not everyone profited from it. A lot of money was sunk into numerous operating systems and platforms, with each company hoping to tap into the growing computer and server industry. Now it's pretty much just Windows or Linux for standard servers, with Linux being the main kernel/OS for servers and Windows/Mac taking over for personal computers. I think it would be kind of cool to see a new Apple iOS server for us to use for websites, game servers, and more.

You're exactly right though... IBM and many other companies gave up on their OS dreams and stuck to other parts of the industry... making chips, etc.

Yeah the OS wars lasted a good while, cost a lot of money, and not everyone profited from it. A lot of money was sunk into numerous operating systems and platforms, with each company hoping to tap into the growing computer and server industry. Now it's pretty much just Windows or Linux for standard servers, with Linux being the main kernel/OS for servers and Windows/Mac taking over for personal computers. I think it would be kind of cool to see a new Apple iOS server for us to use for websites, game servers, and more.

You're exactly right though... IBM and many other companies gave up on their OS dreams and stuck to other parts of the industry... making chips, etc.
I think the world would be a whole different place if OS/2 was still being developed and MS Windows was scrapped. Either we'd be using OS/2, MacOS X or a GNU/Linux Distribution.

Besides, I think what caused the downfall after watching LGR's Video again was the fact that it had a not-so-good start. Yet, it did improve overtime. But again, IBM did move away from the PC-Market and so upon moving away from it, OS/2 had to be put down since PCs weren't their focus anymore.

And at the end of LGR's Video of OS/2, it's incredible to think that a lot of machines are still running the OS. Which is quite bad as there is most likely Security-Flaws in which the System could be vulnerable to.

I think the world would be a whole different place if OS/2 was still being developed and MS Windows was scrapped. Either we'd be using OS/2, MacOS X or a GNU/Linux Distribution.

Besides, I think what caused the downfall after watching LGR's Video again was the fact that it had a not-so-good start. Yet, it did improve overtime. But again, IBM did move away from the PC-Market and so upon moving away from it, OS/2 had to be put down since PCs weren't their focus anymore.

And at the end of LGR's Video of OS/2, it's incredible to think that a lot of machines are still running the OS. Which is quite bad as there is most likely Security-Flaws in which the System could be vulnerable to.
Yeah, unfortunately there are still a ton of compromised devices out there. Another scary thought is how many printers & similar devices are connected to the web, but wildly insecure. There have been so many stories of people getting hacked because of old operating systems / software and other outdated setups.

Yeah, unfortunately there are still a ton of compromised devices out there. Another scary thought is how many printers & similar devices are connected to the web, but wildly insecure. There have been so many stories of people getting hacked because of old operating systems / software and other outdated setups.
Damn, I feel bad for all of those Banks running old versions of Windows(Well not really, I mean, it's their fault for not upgrading).

And if they are running an old OS, they shouldn't be on the Web at all until they upgrade or change OS.

It's also the responsibility for making sure they are secure. Especially the Non-Tech Savvy people. If they got hacked, that's what you get for running an outdated OS.

New Threads

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom