Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

PHP PHP Development For Cryptocurrency?

Ghost

Platinum Coder
Today I want to start a discussion about cryptocurrency and PHP development. A lot of people prefer to use other languages because PHP has some efficiency issues. However, there are many apps and websites that are powered by this. The newest versions of PHP obviously can do almost anything you want, but whether or not it can beat a lower level language when it comes to mining or managing a blockchain is a whole different story. That said, there are a lot of things you can build for crypto. For example, an exchange / marketplace web software can be built for the purposes of buying, selling, or trading crypto. There is really no major downsides to using PHP for something like this. I think a lot of people mainly focus on a language's ability to mine coins when in reality there are a lot of other pieces of infrastructure / software that are needed for a successful crypto organization to launch.

One major reason to learn PHP is due to the fact that so much of the web is built on it. In the coming years we will have thousands of crypto related plugins and features for forum software, WordPress, and other platforms powered by PHP. These projects will come in all shapes and sizes, and site owners will want blockchain-experienced developers to help with rapid growth in this sector.

PHP can provide a very good experience for users with sockets to provide instant updates. Server loads are not as much of a problem for web apps that are primarily showing the same data to multiple users. For example, the cost of Bitcoin updates for everyone in intervals, not at different times or with different prices per user. This makes overall database queries and user updates very easy to manage.

There are a high number of APIs available for PHP developers wanting to build crypto related platforms. When you start to include indie projects, Github, and other repositories, you'll notice that a lot of work for PHP crypto dev has already been started for you. Starting a new project doesn't have to always be done from scratch!

Anyways, I think there are good arguments for and against PHP in general. However, if you know how to write PHP or you are learning it now, I hope this post helps you see that the possibilities are limitless and PHP development will be in demand for years to come.

PHP is awesome and ive used it for many years but honestly Python just blows it out of the water, for ease, for adaptability, for readability and its so much more fun for me it could never go back to PHP. Saying that, i can see PHP being more secure, it just glows a sense of security to me, the way it works and its built in safety features.

PHP is awesome and ive used it for many years but honestly Python just blows it out of the water, for ease, for adaptability, for readability and its so much more fun for me it could never go back to PHP. Saying that, i can see PHP being more secure, it just glows a sense of security to me, the way it works and its built in safety features.
PHP 7+ made huge improvements to speed, and that will continue most likely. However, I love Python > PHP for sure too!

What makes you say that if I may ask?
I agree with him to an extent and the reason is that many crypto apps interact with various blockchains and PHP is not efficient if you are doing any sort of mining, validating, etc. It simply can't compare to lower level languages that are much faster, lightweight, and able to harness the power of a GPU to solve very complex formulas.

However, if you are building an app or website that does not mine crypto then I think PHP is a perfectly fine option. It really just comes down to what your app is specifically doing.

I think the OP is right when he says that the choice of the language depends on what the app is actually doing. PHP seems not to be the best for mining apps. I am not a programmer, but my brother uses Python to program apps for octocrypto io. He plans to do it further, too. He says PHP was good for just writing websites or simple apps. I want to become a programmer, too that’s why I look up to him. I also planned to mine some crypto using a simple setup of four graphic cards. So, wish me luck! I hope to get some passive income and be independent of my parents soon.

Last edited:
All the higher level languages have specialized purposes. If you want to mine crypto you want efficiency. Something like complied C++ directly on hardware. PHP is really designed to serve resources on the web.

I've been working with PHP for a while now, and I've found it surprisingly versatile for crypto-related projects. Even though it might not be the first choice for hardcore crypto enthusiasts, I think it has its place, especially in web development.

I recently started my crypto exchange project with the guys from https://tinytrader.com/, and they're doing pretty good work. With the current situation with the SEC, FTX, Binance, etc., I think now is the moment to create new exchanges, and PHP seems like a handy tool to have in the toolkit.

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom