Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mathematical

Silver Coder
Hey there everyone.

While I have got my eyes on the new PlayStation 5, I am well aware of the fact that it will be quite expensive and upon launch, won't even have that many games. So, I have instead been eyeing on the Raspberry Pi recently.

The Pi never interested me before, but when I found out what it was actually capable of, I just know I have to get one of these now. Pi-Hole, web-servers, home-made smart-devices, and even just a simple desktop to work from, has got me convinced that I definitely need one of these.

So, I'm wanting to know what model(s) you guys have and what you think of the Pi. I'd also like to hear of your experiences with it and if you had any trouble setting it up or not.

Yeah,about that... i might have installed it on a USB stick with 32GB of memory... and now the USB thinks it only has 244MB of space and i cant do anything to get it back. :( Luckily i have a USB with 64GB, but its still sad

Yeah,about that... i might have installed it on a USB stick with 32GB of memory... and now the USB thinks it only has 244MB of space and i cant do anything to get it back. :( Luckily i have a USB with 64GB, but its still sad
I'm assuming by "installed", you mean Raspian(Or the NOOBS installer). I'm generally curious to know how you got it onto a USB stick when it's clearly stated in the manual for every Raspberry Pi that the operating-system runs off of a MicroSD and not a regular SD card or a USB stick.

Okay, but you don't need to separate your reply into three tiny replies. Just figured I'd let you know that.

But either way, as I said, the installation of Raspian goes onto a MicroSD. I know it was a long time ago though, but even then, there was documentation and plenty of tutorials online that went over how to install Raspian onto a MicroSD card. It just baffles me as to how you did this.

Okay, but you don't need to separate your reply into three tiny replies. Just figured I'd let you know that.

But either way, as I said, the installation of Raspian goes onto a MicroSD. I know it was a long time ago though, but even then, there was documentation and plenty of tutorials online that went over how to install Raspian onto a MicroSD card. It just baffles me as to how you did this.
If i remember correctly, there are different options of what to install on the installer. I might have installed the wrong thing

If i remember correctly, there are different options of what to install on the installer. I might have installed the wrong thing
Then I take it that you downloaded the NOOBS installer. Apparently that allows you to download an operating-system other than Raspian. So, you didn't install the wrong thing, it's simply just a case of not understanding the instructions properly and being misguided.

Then I take it that you downloaded the NOOBS installer. Apparently that allows you to download an operating-system other than Raspian. So, you didn't install the wrong thing, it's simply just a case of not understanding the instructions properly and being misguided.
What i meant is i got the normal one, not noobs, but then it gave me like 5 different istallation options, and i might have then installed the wrong one.
Edit: but ok.

What i meant is i got the normal one, not noobs, but then it gave me like 5 different istallation options, and i might have then installed the wrong one.
Edit: but ok.
Hm. I'm pretty sure that NOOBS is the installer that bundles a bunch of other choices. On the other hand, Raspian simply provides Raspian and no other choices. Perhaps you're mistaking one for the other.

Seeing as this was a while ago, perhaps you should give the Pi another try. This time of course, following documentation and tutorials as to not mess anything up. Make sure you have the right equipment too.

and even just a simple desktop to work from
so the pi is too weak to work properly with it, especially with desktop surface

I use mine as a pi-hole and as my own DNS server.
There is DietPi, Pi-Hole and Unbound.
And even there you can already see that it is very weak, updates or similar are quite slow.

DietPi is a very light operating system and also very beautiful to handle.

Tealk said:
so the pi is too weak to work properly with it, especially with desktop surface
I do know that the Pi won't serve as a good desktop computer. But apparently the Pi 4 is capable of doing most tasks at a decent speed, so there's that.

I do intend on using the Pi for not just playing around with code and all of that, but also as a Pi-Hole, and perhaps experiment with things like servers for hosting either sites or files(Not to the general public though, just myself).

you just have to be careful not to overload it, a web server needs a lot of power.
Well, as I said, I only intend on doing it for fun and learning-purposes. And I certainly won't be leaving it running 24/7 - I might only leave it running when I'm doing any work that may involve something like transferring files to another PC.

The Pi 4 from what I've heard, can over-heat pretty easily, but they have apparently issued software-updates to help optimize this. Either way, I do also intend on getting a heat-sink for it, and if I don't buy one of the official cases but a case that allows for a fan to be inserted next to it, I might just buy a fan for it too.

yes because they are only passively cooled they get very warm very quickly. I found a fan annoying, because mine has 24/7 air, but a heat sink is a good idea.
Be careful, many heatsinks are sold with double-sided tape instead of heat-conducting paste.

Tealk said:
yes because they are only passively cooled they get very warm very quickly. I found a fan annoying, because mine has 24/7 air, but a heat sink is a good idea.
Ah, I'll remember that then. I don't think I'll find a fan too annoying as I'm already used to the fan running on my laptop - Though, even that can be annoying sometimes, only if I'm not doing anything intensive.

Tealk said:
Be careful, many heatsinks are sold with double-sided tape instead of heat-conducting paste.
Sorry, but what does that mean. I should mention that I've never actually built a desktop PC before, so I'm quite new to this. The Pi is essentially me dabbling with the waters in that area.

Though, even that can be annoying sometimes, only if I'm not doing anything intensive.
Yes, I have also thought about buying a passively cooled notebook.

Well, double-sided tape does not conduct heat very well, therefore there is special heat conducting paste.
I just wanted to bring it to your attention

Tealk said:
Well, double-sided tape does not conduct heat very well, therefore there is special heat conducting paste.
I just wanted to bring it to your attention
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll try my best to remember that when it comes to actually obtaining and setting-up a Pi.

In high school, my buddy and I built a couple of really clunky tablets for a school project and installed Raspberry Pi on both of them. I was very impressed with how nice it is as far as operating systems go, and it was very simple to set up. The only issue we couldn't figure out was getting audio properly working. We had speakers installed and everything was set up hardware wise (as far as we could tell), but the OS wouldn't recognize the audio hardware.

The only issue we couldn't figure out was getting audio properly working. We had speakers installed and everything was set up hardware wise (as far as we could tell), but the OS wouldn't recognize the audio hardware.
Quite an interesting project you had. Regarding the sound though, depending on how long ago this was, the drivers may have not been supported. You know how Linux is with drivers anyway. Driver-Support is getting better day-by-day though, so perhaps try re-visiting the project - The sound may actually work this time.

Back
Top Bottom