Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Read Me Recent changes to our Privacy Policy & Sites rules and guidelines UPDATED!

Hello Coders,

We have made recent changes to our privacy policy and site rules and guidelines. With the hopes of protecting all of our privacy. Code Forum is a coding community, and we come here to learn, build and share our work. With that being said, we would like for your information to stay protected and private, and using your personal information does not help us achieve this. We have implemented a few guidelines that will hopefully work. A summary of these guidelines includes the following: using your full name in your username or anywhere on your profile visible to guest or other coders, displaying your age, email, address and other information that can or could be used to identify you on your profile, your posts and anywhere else under the codeforum.org domain should be avoided but of course it is up to you.

Why the sudden change? It was a recent request for Personal-data request, it made me realize that Code Forum does not need your age (but for registration purposes), your real name or any other information such as this. The whole purpose of Code Forum is to help, to help everyone learn to code no matter what skill set you possess. I want to think that we’ve helped many coders so far, and I would like for us as a community to continue this trend of helping others.

What have we done to show awareness of these changes? I have edited the privacy policy, Site rules and guidelines, and have posted a notice for everyone to see. With that said, I have begun the painful process of messaging coders who contain a person’s name within their username. However, if the message goes unnoticed, your account may be infracted or potentially terminated (deleted).

What can I do to help? If you spot personal information being shared, please report it. And, please do ensure that your profile or post doesn't contain any personal information. Go over your profile and decide what you want to be shared with the public or not.

Exception? You may message me or any admin to be given an exception if you are really fine with posting your personal information.

I hope with these changes; you’ll be satisfied with our attempts to ensure your privacy is protected.

Thank you for reading,

Master Yoda | Site Management

Last edited:
using your full name in your username or anywhere on your profile, displaying your age, email, address and other information that can or could be used to identify you on your profile, your posts and anywhere else under the codeforum.org domain is strictly prohibited.
You want to forbid someone to reveal their name or email? So the user may no longer decide for himself what he wants to say?

You want to forbid someone to reveal their name or email? So the user may no longer decide for himself what he wants to say?
Your personal information is not needed. Email via account settings is considered private. I mean sharing your email publicly such as profile information or in posts.

Yes but it is still my decision which data I share and which I do not. You're patronizing people and taking away their rights. I think you are going too far here, a hint that one should not share this data is perfectly sufficient. A ban is over the top.

Apart from that I am not even allowed to post my domain anymore, because there you can find my name and address, because in Germany there is an imprint obligation from the telemedia law.

Yes but it is still my decision which data I share and which I do not. You're patronizing people and taking away their rights. In Germany such a thing is even in the constitution.

Apart from that I am not even allowed to post my domain anymore, because there you can find my name and address, because in Germany there is an imprint obligation from the telemedia law.
You're allowed posting your website, with your information on it. But your information doesn't belong on Code Forum.

I think with such regulations I have to think about whether I am still right here anyway.
Thanks for your openness.

All I'm trying to do is protect your personal information. That's all. GDPR is a tough thing, and I want to be sure we are not stepping on any ones toes.

The whole point of my logic here is I look at it that the less information we have the more private your information can be and protected.

@Tealk if you are able to write for an exception would that be better?

These changes are specifically for the visible portion of your profile.

Last edited:
Privacy at the expense of freedom, that is certainly not the right way.
It's strange because you're the one normally going on about privacy?

I'll take what you said into consideration. And will test this throughout the next couple weeks. If it doesn't work we will reverse.

Last edited:
I do patially agree, the internet is an open hole to a wealth of information and is never truley private, but i do have to agree as i am from the old internet age where the ineternet was at a time freedom to express and learn, Peoples privacy is upto there own merit which by i mean us as people know what risks are out in the world and we as individuals have a right to choose what we reveal about our identity or not, take for example facebook a big world where privacy matters but facebook give people knowladge but they choose weather to take that advise or not based on there own beliefs on how risky is there information and can it cause harm to themself or others, if no then they are free to post anything they like unless this becomes harm to anyone or themself.

if criminal i agree fully with your rules or linked to anything related to crime, but if it is not related to crime then people should really have a freedom to be themself. and not worry that their name can cause a ban on a website, if they know this they could go somewhere else and form tighter community bonds with other set of people and members.

Last edited:
I do patially agree, the internet is an open hole to a wealth of information and is never truley private, but i do have to agree as i am from the old internet age where the ineternet was at a time freedom to express and learn, Peoples privacy is upto there own merit which by i mean us as people know what risks are out in the world and we as individuals have a right to choose what we reveal about our identity or not, take for example facebook a big world where privacy matters but facebook give people knowladge but they choose weather to take that advise or not based on there own beliefs on how risky is there information and can it cause harm to themself or others, if no then they are free to post anything they like unless this becomes harm to anyone or themself.

if criminal i agree fully with your rules or linked to anything related to crime, but if it is not related to crime then people should really have a freedom to be themself. and not worry that their name can cause a ban on a website, if they know this they could go somewhere else and form tighter community bonds with other set of people and members.
You do have a point; I have added a note to thread that you may ask for an exception. May eventually tone it down to just being that if you post personal information that is beside the information that is required at registration then it's at your discretion.

It would be best to leave at a members sole descrestion but the site and staff should do what they can in to protect peoples information, so if someone chose not to be public about themself then the staff or website unable by law to reveal this publically unless the person has agreeed to this prior to the release of information, but if a member at there own descretion reveals information about themself and us as website owners has to honor the privacy they do or do not disclose about themself.

A website should never share information unless they have permissions from the member, customer, person themself and a person has a right to ask for business, website, professional and government bodies for what information a website hold and what they do with that information, which again this falls under privacy and data protection laws unless a person themself disclose that information on a public domain, for example on a website, TV or out in the open streets.

Sorry for essay i have been around a lot and studied a lot around data protection and privacy, along with freedom of information / basic human rights,

It would be best to leave at a members sole descrestion but the site and staff should do what they can in to protect peoples information, so if someone chose not to be public about themself then the staff or website unable by law to reveal this publically unless the person has agreeed to this prior to the release of information, but if a member at there own descretion reveals information about themself and us as website owners has to honor the privacy they do or do not disclose about themself.

A website should never share information unless they have permissions from the member, customer, person themself and a person has a right to ask for business, website, professional and government bodies for what information a website hold and what they do with that information, which again this falls under privacy and data protection laws unless a person themself disclose that information on a public domain, for example on a website, TV or out in the open streets.

Sorry for essay i have been around a lot and studied a lot around data protection and privacy, along with freedom of information / basic human rights,
The reason for this change in rules is so that let's say you request for personal data request then all we will provide is the information that was required at registration. For me I'm not all too familiar with the GDPR and European laws, so I want to ensure that we are complying and that Code Forum is always doing its part of protecting your data.

After some reasonable feedback, I have revised the site rules and made it more clear that it is more advice rather than a rule. You will no longer be punished for posting personal information, just be careful.

My main goal was to ensure you and your privacy is protected and I don't want Code Forum to be the one responsible for your privacy being exposed.

Last edited:
example facebook
But Facebook lives from confusing its users and trying to get the information.

Xenforo offers the function that all personal data is exported and made available to the person, as required by the GDPR.

What users write in posts, even if it is their entire life story, is their own decision.
The correct way to do this would be to add a note to new users saying, "This is a public forum. Even people who are not logged in as users (i.e. bots, spiders etc.) can view the information here.
Therefore, for your own safety, please do NOT include any PRIVATE DATA (email, address ...) or even PASSWORDS in your posts!

XenForo offers wonderful possibilities for this.

My main goal was to ensure you and your privacy is protected and I don't want Code Forum to be the one responsible for your privacy being exposed.
The user is responsible for himself, not the forum for the user. You don't sue the car if the driver causes an accident. (Not a great example but I think you understand what I am getting at)

If you are on the internet nowadays, especially in the area of programming, you should know the dangers of the internet. Otherwise he has missed a complete technology.

The poll counts for the amended scheme? So the reference instead of the ban?

The user is responsible for himself, not the forum for the user. You don't sue the car if the driver causes an accident. (Not a great example but I think you understand what I am getting at)

If you are on the internet nowadays, especially in the area of programming, you should know the dangers of the internet. Otherwise he has missed a complete technology.
Well, technically you can if the car is deemed at fault. It could be the automaker's fault, e.g. break like was improperly designed..

The poll counts for the amended scheme? So the reference instead of the ban?: Yes.

Back
Top Bottom