Welcome to Code Forum!

Join a community that supports you and your coding journey from day one. We strive to be a friendly, supportive community that empowers everyone to be better developers. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

    GIF shows where to locate </> in the thread and or post editor toolbar.
    To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, review our "How to post your code into threads" here.

    Thank you, Code Forum.

Responsive Web Design: Best Practices for Ensuring Compatibility Across Devices

Hilton D

Active Coder
My website has to be totally responsive and compatible with PCs, laptops, tablets, and smartphones since I am working on a web development project. Even though I'm using Scalers' web development roadmap, I'm still having trouble maintaining a consistent style and layout across various screen sizes.
What are the best practices and techniques for implementing responsive web design? How can I create a flexible and adaptive layout that adjusts seamlessly to different screen resolutions and orientations?
I'm particularly interested in understanding how to use media queries effectively, optimize images for different devices, and handle touch events for mobile users. Additionally, are there any recommended tools or frameworks that can streamline the responsive design process?
I'd appreciate practical examples, code snippets, or tutorials illustrating the step-by-step implementation of responsive web design principles. Thank you for sharing your expertise!
 
I'm my experience, using @media break points with specific screen sizes and utilising css flex has been a great way to accomplish what you are looking for. Best thing to do, in my opinion, see what the size of the screen is on the largest phone, use that as a break point for your small screen, set your flex and your max width in css. Example:

Code:
@media (max-width: 800px){
    .header-container{
        display: flex;
        flex-wrap: wrap;
    }
    .profile-image{
        display: flex;
        justify-content: center;
    }
    nav{
        display: flex;
        flex-wrap: wrap;
    }
}

@media (max-width: 550px){
    p{
        text-align: center;
    }
    img{
        max-width: 200px;
        max-height: 200px;
    }
    .card{
        width: 200px;
        height: 300px;
    }

}

This example is from my personal website. It's scalable from computer, tablet and mobile device. Essentially what will happen is as the size of the screen reduces and hits a break point, it will break the columns down smaller so that they fit better on the screen and you won't have any side scrolling to worry about.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Check out FreeCodeCamp.org for their responsive web design course as well. It taught me a lot when I first started out, and you get a certificate of completion! Which always looks good!
 
Best approach and best practice would be to start your site from a mobile first perspective. It's always easier to work with desktop/laptop screens, but can get pretty messy when working with smaller screens.
 
Back
Top Bottom