Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Smartwatches - Yay Or Nay?

D

Deleted member 205

Okay, so Smartwatches. A piece of the Technology that is based on the thing that we wear on our wrists. Watches.

Smartwatches do more than just tell the time. It pairs up with your Smartphone via BlueTooth and from there on, you can download Apps for it, play Music on it, read and reply to Messages on it, use GPS and even answer Calls! There are plenty of other things available to Smartwatches such as Virtual-Assistants(E.g. Google Assistant). In the Smartwatch-Market, you have Google and WearOS, Apple and watchOS, Samsung and Tizen, FitBit(Which Google just bought recently), Pebble(Was bought by FitBit and is now defunct) and then you have all of the big Watch names such as Casio, FOSSIL and Emporio Armani all making Smartwatches too.

Now, Apple is the dominant one in the Smartwatch-Market, despite not licensing it's watchOS to anyone else. More than likely, it's because WearOS(Previously Android Wear), is currently a giant mess. WearOS Watches have many issues with them, the biggest one being Battery-Life. Due to poor Qualcomm Chips being used in these WearOS Watches, it drains the Battery-Life extremely fast on them. Also, you have the tiny amount of RAM and Storage which can contribute to the slowness of the WearOS Watch. WearOS Watches are compatible with both Android and iOS but since Apple doesn't license it's watchOS to anyone, only Apple Watches work with only the iPhone.

Aside from Smartwatches, we do also have 'Hybrid Smartwatches'. These are just regular, old Watches that have a couple of extra Features built into them such as Notification-Buzzing and basic Step-Tracking. As I said, they're just regular Watches and since they don't have all of the Features of an actual Smartwatch, they aren't really worth buying in my opinion.

So, what about you? Do you plan on buying a Smartwatch or do you already own one? If you currently or used to own one, what was it like?

I originally planned to buy a Smartwatch a month ago or so. I never thought much of them but when I looked-up on them online, I found them quite interesting and thought I might buy one around Christmas. Unfortunately, the more I thought about it, the more I just thought of it as a gimmicky-thing. Not to mention, I also heavily value my Privacy and a Smartwatch would be a massive blow to my Privacy. Also, since I use Android, I can only get a WearOS Watch. I planned to get a FOSSIL Gen 4/5 but when I heard about the terrible Performance and Battery on WearOS Smartwatches(Not just FOSSIL but all WearOS Watches), I decided to not get one at all. I then planned to instead, get a FOSSIL Hybrid-Smartwatch. But since it looked like a regular Watch and barely has any Functionality to it(It only has Notification-Buzzing, Automatic-Timezones and basic Step-Tracking), it didn't seem worth the money to me. Also, I more than likely wouldn't have been able to understand how a Hybrid works(I don't need three bloody Crowns on it that do different things, thank you very much).

So now, I just plan to buy a regular FOSSIL Watch. No Smart-Features or Smart-Tech on it. Just a Traditional-Watch that only tells the time and doesn't have a Battery that runs out in like 6 hours or something.

only Apple Watches work with only the iPhone.
That's not true, you can use other SmartWatches as well, but you won't have so many functions.

I use the Apple Watch myself and I'm very happy with it, it simplifies some actions and for one or the other I don't even take the phone into my hands.

Well, what I meant is that Apple's Smartwatches, are compatible with the iPhone. I do know that WearOS Watches also work with iPhones but Apple Watches are only compatible with iOS Devices.

Very interesting read! Very nice layout and looks like you took a lot of time to put this together! I currently use a FitBit Charge 3 (never knew google bought it) and I love it. Shows me notifications from my phone, tracks my sleep, tracks my heart etc. I had worries about my heart so was the mean reason I got it, turns out nothing is wrong with it. But still a good buy!

Very interesting read! Very nice layout and looks like you took a lot of time to put this together! I currently use a FitBit Charge 3 (never knew google bought it) and I love it. Shows me notifications from my phone, tracks my sleep, tracks my heart etc. I had worries about my heart so was the mean reason I got it, turns out nothing is wrong with it. But still a good buy!
Nice to see that you liked my Post. It also looks like you enjoy your Smartwatch. Hope it's getting used well and in good condition.

But yeah, Google has recently bought FitBit but it's going through a Deal-Process right now and the Deal is expected to be closed in 2020(According to the Wikipedia Article on FitBit anyway). The Verge has an Article about the acquisition here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/...h-wearable-fitness-nest-htc-hardware-software

Back
Top Bottom