Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Implemented Suggestion for new coding language

Illumerix

New Coder
Recently, I have been getting into VBScript (Visual Basic Script). If you do not know what that is it's one of the coding languages windows uses for your PC—and considering code can be varietal, it would be a pleasure to add new languages. I don't see why we should not add more languages to this community. It would be a great help especially in introducing new coders to this fantastic website. Also, here is an example of the capabilities of VBS scripting:Screenshot 2023-04-02 124331.png
As you can see, You can make a working dynamic text box. As a not-too-experienced coder, I can say that this isn't the greatest you can make.
Thanks for reading.

Hi @Illumerix

Thank you for the suggestion!

We only add new forums once we see a consistent handful of people discussing that said language, particularly we look for demand in Other Back-End Server Languages. We don't use data from the outside when it comes to creating new forums, this helps avoid forums with no to very little activity.

But something we could do is list some popular languages in the description of Other Back-End Server Languages so that way people visiting might be more inclined to post their questions there if they see that their language isn't listed elsewhere in the forum list.

Recently, I have been getting into VBScript (Visual Basic Script). If you do not know what that is it's one of the coding languages windows uses for your PC—and considering code can be varietal, it would be a pleasure to add new languages. I don't see why we should not add more languages to this community. It would be a great help especially in introducing new coders to this fantastic website. Also, here is an example of the capabilities of VBS scripting:View attachment 2071
As you can see, You can make a working dynamic text box. As a not-too-experienced coder, I can say that this isn't the greatest you can make.
Thanks for reading.
Hi there, @Illumerix Thanks for the suggestion. Although we have no issues integrating the forum with new languages, I must warn you...we will not accept any posts regarding any malware/viruses/exploits of any kind... no matter if the user labels it as "pranks". Proceed with caution :)

@Malcolm, though it's a slight change in the topic relating to this, what about boards which are inactive or have little activity?

I think the Lua board is a good example, since it only seems to get about one or two posts every 1-2 months and a lot of threads there are still unanswered; many people who post there also never seem to return. I have experience with Lua and I could post there if I wished, but there is no point if nobody else engages with it. It's also a language intended to be embedded with C/C++ code and doesn't hold up as well in my opinion as a standalone language. So if you didn't wish to remove it, maybe consider moving it under one of the C boards?

On the topic of the C boards, maybe restructure them so that it's all under one roof rather than have a separate board for C, C++, and C#? They are all part of the C family of languages, they just greatly differ from each other. So, perhaps have it: C family board -> general C programming threads and links to specific C language boards(one for C, one for C++, one for C#). Just an idea.

Another good example of an unused board is the Godot board in game development: the only thread there was posted in 2019! The last post in the Unreal Engine board was 2020! I think if you wish to keep these boards around, you would need to encourage people who use these tools to post there or find other ways of attracting newcomers to those boards specifically(perhaps some kind of 'Board of the Day' system? I'm not sure if there's an add-on for such a thing or if you'd need to implement it yourself).

It might be wise to consider another board restructure as the site is nearly at 4500 members and will very soon approach 5000+ members. Then of course there is the problem of retaining activity on these boards, but that's for another day.

@Malcolm, though it's a slight change in the topic relating to this, what about boards which are inactive or have little activity?

I think the Lua board is a good example, since it only seems to get about one or two posts every 1-2 months and a lot of threads there are still unanswered; many people who post there also never seem to return. I have experience with Lua and I could post there if I wished, but there is no point if nobody else engages with it. It's also a language intended to be embedded with C/C++ code and doesn't hold up as well in my opinion as a standalone language. So if you didn't wish to remove it, maybe consider moving it under one of the C boards?

On the topic of the C boards, maybe restructure them so that it's all under one roof rather than have a separate board for C, C++, and C#? They are all part of the C family of languages, they just greatly differ from each other. So, perhaps have it: C family board -> general C programming threads and links to specific C language boards(one for C, one for C++, one for C#). Just an idea.

Another good example of an unused board is the Godot board in game development: the only thread there was posted in 2019! The last post in the Unreal Engine board was 2020! I think if you wish to keep these boards around, you would need to encourage people who use these tools to post there or find other ways of attracting newcomers to those boards specifically(perhaps some kind of 'Board of the Day' system? I'm not sure if there's an add-on for such a thing or if you'd need to implement it yourself).

It might be wise to consider another board restructure as the site is nearly at 4500 members and will very soon approach 5000+ members. Then of course there is the problem of retaining activity on these boards, but that's for another day.
It's in the works

New Threads

Latest posts

Buy us a coffee!

Back
Top Bottom