Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Guest, before posting your code please take these rules into consideration:
    • It is required to use our BBCode feature to display your code. While within the editor click < / > or >_ and place your code within the BB Code prompt. This helps others with finding a solution by making it easier to read and easier to copy.
    • You can also use markdown to share your code. When using markdown your code will be automatically converted to BBCode. For help with markdown check out the markdown guide.
    • Don't share a wall of code. All we want is the problem area, the code related to your issue.

To learn more about how to use our BBCode feature, please click here.

Thank you, Code Forum.

C++ Understanding the Difference Between C and C++

Pony2

Coder
Hello everyone,

I'm a new programmer and I'm having trouble understanding the difference between C and C++ from references. I understand that C++ is an extension of C and that it has some extra features, but I'm having trouble grasping the differences between the two.

I've been researching and I think I understand some of the basics, but I'm still having issues putting it into practice. I was hoping someone could help me out by providing some code examples that demonstrate the differences between the two languages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey there @Pony2 (My knowledge is a bit rusty so don't take everything I say as true)

The differences between C and C++ aren't hard to grasp. First, understand that C is a procedural language and C++ is object-oriented. Procedural essentially is a language that works with functions and data - simple. Object-oriented on the other hand, revolves around creating "objects" from classes(which act as templates for objects): the object contains data and there will be methods which act on the data present in the object.

C++ started as an extension of C, but modern C++ is really more of its own language at this point with the numerous features it has - the only similarity it has going for it is that it contains a lot of C's features(such as pointers and memory allocation) and similarities in syntax. Where C++ has templates, generics, and classes, C doesn't have any of this. You'll have trouble using C++ features in C but you won't have trouble using (most) C features in C++.

C and C++ are also used for the same kinds of programs, which is really anything - just beware though that C++ programs are larger in file size and so it's recommended you use C instead if you're working on embedded devices.

Good luck! :)

C is a procedural programming language that does not support classes and objects. The language supports modular programming through its rich library of pre-defined functions, facilitating the development of reusable code.

C++ is an extension of C by integrating object-oriented programming (OOP) features, enhancing the language's capability to manage complex software systems.

Thanks!

I think the others here covered it fairly well, but one thing to call out is that a lot of times there are codebases that have a C and a C++ version but are otherwise near identical w/ usage and syntax. You may find yourself also creating wrappers of your own (hint: extern C) to use things in C++. All in all, I started learning C++ with no intention of learning C, but as I got into things I found it was easy to swap between the two. They are very different but you can honestly think of it as 1 learning experience if you really want to... With all this said, I'm coming off a background of many languages so C++ is coming easy and I'm jumping into C & Assembly for fun on the side. If you are just starting off, I recommend being "pure C" or "pure C++" as much as possible so things don't get confusing

Back
Top Bottom